Anyone using Lightscribe?

Old March 3rd 05, 02:02 PM
Guy

Default Anyone using Lightscribe?

Has anyone picked up a drive with the new Lightscribe technology?
Please let us know if it works as advertised.

TIA

Old March 3rd 05, 07:05 PM
mike

Guy wrote:
Has anyone picked up a drive with the new Lightscribe technology?
Please let us know if it works as advertised.

TIA

While we're on the subject...
Available market spin claims no significant wear on the drive.
But it takes ten times a long to scribe as it did to burn.
Sounds like a 11:1 reduction in laser life to me????
You know they're running the laser wide open to keep the write
time down to 30 minutes.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Old March 3rd 05, 10:13 PM
Comcast

In article , gsaults@hotmail-dot-
com.no-spam.invalid says...
Has anyone picked up a drive with the new Lightscribe technology?
Please let us know if it works as advertised.

I read a review of it somewhere. It's slow, currently only grayscale,
and the disks are expensive.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Old March 6th 05, 03:56 AM
OldFartJAC

Just another useless flash in the pan piece of technology which also costs
more and will go by the wayside very quickly.

Old March 6th 05, 06:30 PM
GlassVial

Just another useless flash in the pan piece of technology which also costs
more and will go by the wayside very quickly.

That sums up what I think of it as well.

-GV

Old March 8th 05, 09:01 PM
dg

"mike" wrote in message
While we're on the subject...
Available market spin claims no significant wear on the drive.
But it takes ten times a long to scribe as it did to burn.
Sounds like a 11:1 reduction in laser life to me????
You know they're running the laser wide open to keep the write
time down to 30 minutes.
mike

Is laser life typically what kills a burner? I mean, most of the burner
failures I have seen were not laser problems, so I wonder if we even need to
worry about laser life. I don't really see a large number of drives
failing, that is why I ask.

Thanks,
--Dan

Old March 9th 05, 01:07 AM
mike

dg wrote:
"mike" wrote in message

While we're on the subject...
Available market spin claims no significant wear on the drive.
But it takes ten times a long to scribe as it did to burn.
Sounds like a 11:1 reduction in laser life to me????
You know they're running the laser wide open to keep the write
time down to 30 minutes.
mike

Is laser life typically what kills a burner? I mean, most of the burner
failures I have seen were not laser problems, so I wonder if we even need to
worry about laser life. I don't really see a large number of drives
failing, that is why I ask.

Thanks,
--Dan

That's an interesting question. All my burner failures have started
with increasing failures to burn RW disks, progressing to failure to
burn Wonce. All my readers have failed by progressively failing to read
RW disks progressing to failure on Ronce. Laser deterioriation? Me
thinks maybe.

Just because you haven't seen high failures don't mean you won't if you
run it 11X as long. I'm worried about it.

mikr

..