Barebones Computer

Old August 15th 03, 06:27 PM
Aragorn

Default Barebones Computer

Hi.

I am looking to build a bare bones computer with the following specs

Intel/AMD processor
About 1 Ghz
128 Mb + Ram
3.2 Gb HDD
Ethernet Card.

No monitor.

Can I put this together for less than 150 bucks, or am I better off
buying the walmart PC for 200$.

Aragorn.

Old August 15th 03, 09:13 PM
kony

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:27:26 -0400, Aragorn
wrote:

Hi.

I am looking to build a bare bones computer with the following specs

Intel/AMD processor
About 1 Ghz
128 Mb + Ram
3.2 Gb HDD
Ethernet Card.

No monitor.

Can I put this together for less than 150 bucks, or am I better off
buying the walmart PC for 200$.

Aragorn.

Yes you can assemble that or better for 150. The wallmart PC has the
benefit of being shiney-new, and "possibly" quieter, though certainly
lower performance with the Via CPU in it. On the other hand, it has a
NEW hard drive, even if it is a slower older model than you'd find on
at retail, making it potentially much more reliable to store data than
a HDD old enough to be 3.2GB model.

Dave

Old August 16th 03, 06:15 AM
Antithesis

"Aragorn" wrote in message
Hi.

I am looking to build a bare bones computer with the following specs

Intel/AMD processor
About 1 Ghz
128 Mb + Ram
3.2 Gb HDD
Ethernet Card.

No monitor.

Can I put this together for less than 150 bucks, or am I better off
buying the walmart PC for 200$.

FOR THE LOVE OF GPF'S, DON'T BUY A WAL MART PC!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! HOLY
MOTHER OF ALL POOP! http://www.ourstrangeworld.com

Old August 16th 03, 06:59 PM
Aragorn

wrote:

Hi.

I am looking to build a bare bones computer with the following specs

Intel/AMD processor
About 1 Ghz
128 Mb + Ram
3.2 Gb HDD
Ethernet Card.

No monitor.

Can I put this together for less than 150 bucks, or am I better off
buying the walmart PC for 200$.

Aragorn.

Im looking into it right now. Heres some stuff Ive ordered or looked
at.

At Newegg.com

Biostar Model# M7NCD PRO Retail $72 - $15 rebate = 57 This may be the
cheapest decent Nforce2 board.

Shuttle Motherboard for AMD processors, Model AK38N KT333 Retail $47
This uses the older Via 333 chipset.

AMD XP 1700 $47

Memory (kind of high suddenly at Newegg. Might be a sign that the
industry has successfully cutback on overproduction of memory which
they were giving away free after rebate all over the place a while
back when there was a massive glut.)

Get one of the office depot/max/circuit city (UGH)/Compusa rebate
deals $25 or so 256 DDR 2100 or check Pricewatch.com if you want to
chance generic memory which you might get for $20-30 w/o rebate.

Both the motherboards have network and sound.

Shuttle MB
47+47+25 =119

Plus Hard Disk 30 gig maxtor $52 no rebate OEM
Or check Office Depot/Max/Circuit City/Compusa for rebate deal
often around $40 for 40 gig

$119 + 40 = 160 + taxes and shipping.

Case Dynapower Model# METIS CS-I3ASB.701 (Silver Black) ATX MID-TOWER
CASE w/ 300W POWER SUPPLY - 2 x USB RETAI
$25

160 + 25 = $185

No video card though.
Lowest price might be Pricewatch.com or Ebay for
ATI 7000/7500 or Nvdia 400mx/420mx or even better 440mx.
Ive seen them in the $20 range.

No KB or mouse but you can often get these for free or $15 or so.

If you have any parts laying around obviously it makes the cost way
lower - old Hard disk, memory, case, power supply etc.

This is waaaaaaaaaay better than the one at Walmart and actually would
create a decent system.

Modem - get a software modem at Office Max often free or $10.

Thanks for your advice. I don't need a video card anyway, because I am
going to use a couple of these machines in a cluster that I will build
shortly.

I have a few old junk PC's but with a 486 and horribly low specs.

Aragorn.

Old August 16th 03, 08:52 PM
Antithesis

"Me" wrote in message
I think you're a little off, Holy Mother. The Wal Mart system is made by
Microtel, and it's so cheap because it runs Linux. You'll get a better

deal
from TigerDirect, though. Check out their 199 system.
If you prefer a little more hands-on, buy a GeekKit from Compgeeks.com

--
I believe in having an open mind,
but not so open that my brains fall out.

Ooooh... gotcha. Did not know Walmart was selling systems with Linux
preinstalled. Thought you guys were talking some sort of e-machine piece o'
%@#$ kind of deal. I apologize for my deadly ignorance on the matter.

http://www.ourstrangeworld.com

See both TV and computer screen at SAME time? Karl General 1 July 14th 03 01:01 PM
How to determine the age of a computer ? Edward General 14 July 10th 03 12:39 AM
computer freezes when booting Dan Chirica General 1 July 6th 03 07:01 PM
Query on new computer aNdY_05 General 4 July 4th 03 02:55 AM
Real hardware problem this time - computer won't boot Cyde Weys General 5 July 4th 03 02:55 AM