I guess that prediction made at one site was right the AMD 64socket 939s are close to what the 754s were , now

Old September 26th 04, 07:12 AM
Matt

Default I guess that prediction made at one site was right the AMD 64socket 939s are close to what the 754s were , now

XXXX wrote:

So youll probably be able to get a 3200 939 + PCI express board around
Xmas for a reasonable price. The only thing is Intel is really turning
up the heat. Now if the AMD fell into the low $100s killer price it
would be more in the old XP territory.

I know Prescott runs hot, but I don't think that's what you mean. :-)
What do you mean by Intel turning up the heat?
Old September 26th 04, 01:11 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 06:12:00 GMT, Matt
wrote:

XXXX wrote:

So youll probably be able to get a 3200 939 + PCI express board around
Xmas for a reasonable price. The only thing is Intel is really turning
up the heat. Now if the AMD fell into the low $100s killer price it
would be more in the old XP territory.

I know Prescott runs hot, but I don't think that's what you mean. :-)
What do you mean by Intel turning up the heat?

Well like most AMD fans --- I assumed INTEL sucked . I knew they
finally recovered from their disasterous initial RAMBUS deal --- but
their prices were still far higher than AMD. However AMD had started
falling behind more and more with the plain old XP which they couldnt
push any higher. For the price they were great but the days when they
ruled on performance and price was over. Actually I think they had
other periods too like that when they had an old design and when they
began a new one which tended not OC that well like the T-birds etc.
Now they came out with the 64s its kind of like that. They are in the
game again but their prices are much higher.

And then you have INTEL lowering prices and their prices are kind of
similar now even on the prescott line at the mid and lower range. And
then you add the fact the boards are surprisingly cheap 120-130 for
the 915 and can use DDR and DDR2 and already has PCI express.

Not only that you have AMD awkwardly transitioning 754, 940 to 939.
This 939 thing is great news though. A lot of posters - though the 754
has been selling it seems pretty well with DIYers -- obviously some
wanted the better upgrade path and dual mem stuff of the 939 though
not a big deal , its still a plus. And now with the PCI express boards
coming out though the Nforce stuff may not AGP too like the SIS and
VIA are supposedly going to have --- it puts them in a much more
competitive position.

Then you dont have to keep clinging to the 64bit hype. Most sites make
it seem like its a long way off and to not even factor that into the
equation for buying. Some AMD fans have been hyping it like crazy
moving the dates up more and more like its going to come out in a few
months and takeover. I really doubt it but it may catch on sooner than
people think who knows.

But thats what Ive been waiting for since the beg of summer - 939 less
than 200 bucks around Xmas - a 3200 with PCI express and AGP. Of
course Im hoping theyll come out with a new process 90nm I think its
called - the winchester chip , that has much better yields and runs
much cooler enabling the chips to OC like crazy and be real cheap.

So cheap 3200 w/PCI express around Xmas - 64 bit WIN and Winchester
chips that OC like crazy like the old days - cheap as both upgrade
paths for users of AMDs.

So many things to get. Ive been planning on getting Magnepans this
month (speakers) and theres that 199 17" LCD deal . Dont really need a
LCD though but I wouldnt mind one.

I guess that prediction made at one site was right the AMD 64 S.Heenan General 0 September 26th 04 06:47 AM
Web site with jumpers for all current and old HDDs? Alan F Cross General 2 January 14th 04 07:53 PM
Best motherboard site Cuzman General 4 January 11th 04 04:50 PM
Where's da site, here's da site? David Clarke General 1 October 24th 03 07:54 PM
best hardware review site - most up to date Duddley DooRight General 0 August 29th 03 05:02 AM