onboard sound or sound card?

Old August 2nd 03, 10:30 PM
mig

Default onboard sound or sound card?

i am wondering whether it is worth getting a sound card in place of the
onboard sound on my K7S5A. i currently have 2 speakers and would only
consider upgrading to a 2.1 speaker system and not a 4.1,5.1, etc speaker
system as i have no need for anything more than 2.1 as i dont see the point
in having a better sound system on my pc than my tv.

anyway i want to know how significant the performance can increase with a
sound card over onboard sound as i play games all the time and always listen
to music when im not playing games. or would i be better advised to put a
second 512MB DDR PC2100 stick in and pay the extra ~£30?

current specs:
ECS K7S5A
2000+ AMD Athlon XP
256MB DDR PC2100
60gig Seagate Barracuda
64MB DDR ATI Radeon 7500

--

mig

Old August 3rd 03, 12:17 AM
AD C

mig wrote:

i am wondering whether it is worth getting a sound card in place of the
onboard sound on my K7S5A. i currently have 2 speakers and would only
consider upgrading to a 2.1 speaker system and not a 4.1,5.1, etc speaker
system as i have no need for anything more than 2.1 as i dont see the point
in having a better sound system on my pc than my tv.

anyway i want to know how significant the performance can increase with a
sound card over onboard sound as i play games all the time and always listen
to music when im not playing games. or would i be better advised to put a
second 512MB DDR PC2100 stick in and pay the extra ~£30?

current specs:
ECS K7S5A
2000+ AMD Athlon XP
256MB DDR PC2100
60gig Seagate Barracuda
64MB DDR ATI Radeon 7500

TBH, it depends on what you are doing with your computer. If all you are
doing is playing a few games and listening to music now and again, then
I very much doubt it is worth spending money.

If on the other hand you want the super duper 5.1 sound or you are using
your computer to record the Cristams number one in the charts, then you
will need something decent.

I suggest you get some more memory, It seems like your sound chip will
do you fine.

Old August 3rd 03, 12:43 AM
MICHAEL

I'd have to agree,256MB is low for an XP system.Games especially would
benefit more from more memory
as opposed to a new soundcard.

Old August 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
Vanguard

"mig" wrote in message

[...]

You play first-person 3-dimensional games on your television? No, but
you might on a computer. I've played several games in which I can use
my hearing to discern location without having to take my eyes off of
something else. For example, I can monitor the whereabouts of a
patrolling guard while watching how to pick open a door or punching in a
code. If I happen to forget to turn on the rear speakers, I'd wonder
how that guard snuck up on me only to realize it was because I didn't
hear him coming from that direction. But not to go with rear speakers
is your choice. Perhaps you only play flat 2-dimensional games that
cannot produce sound from all directions. In that case, the onboard
sound is probably fine. As to whether you need more memory depends on
what operating system you are running - which you do not mention. Since
95-based Windows uses cooperative multitasking, tis easy 'nuff to
shutdown other apps and just play a game to have it the only [major]
process running, so even 256 MB is probably good enough but you really
need to check your games to see what are their *recommended* hardware
configuration (rather than just their minimum requirement). You might
get more gaming enjoyment just by replacing your power supply and case
fans with quieter units.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address.

Old August 3rd 03, 03:38 PM
mig

probably gonna go for the memory and possibly hook up my hifi speakers to
the pc as the crappy ones i have at the moment are unable to handle sound at
a decent volume without sounding crackly and i cannot see the sound card
being responsible for this as it seems decent enough

any one suggest the cheapest place to buy 512mb DDR PC2100 in the uk?

--

mig

No Sound Jeff Hoyle General 2 August 3rd 03 12:55 AM
newbie: TV card Groove General 3 July 29th 03 10:58 PM
Problem with built-in sound when upgrading Jon Greene General 4 July 10th 03 10:41 PM
Video Card S3Trio General 11 June 29th 03 12:51 AM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM