(OT Maybe?) Peltier

Old July 9th 04, 12:16 AM
Chris Stolworthy

Default (OT Maybe?) Peltier

Heya guys I am getting some peltiers to play with, I was reading and it
seems there is a maximum heat difference between the hot to cold side. I
was wondering if it is possible without harming the peltier to run it
without a heatsink so it doesn't get quite so cold? I want it to get cool
just not freezing. Initially I was just going to use a voltage control to
the peltier to get it to the temp I want it, but if by not putting a
heatsink it operates within a good range I would rather do that. So can it
be done?

-Chris

Old July 9th 04, 12:57 AM
NN

Chris Stolworthy wrote:
Heya guys I am getting some peltiers to play with, I was reading and
it seems there is a maximum heat difference between the hot to cold
side. I was wondering if it is possible without harming the peltier
to run it without a heatsink so it doesn't get quite so cold? I want
it to get cool just not freezing. Initially I was just going to use
a voltage control to the peltier to get it to the temp I want it, but
if by not putting a heatsink it operates within a good range I would
rather do that. So can it be done?

Here is a link that might help explain how the Peltiers work...

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

As for me, I don't think I'd use Peltier or also not water-cooling in my
computer. I'm not very comfortable about either idea. I prefer some good
old-fashioned normal case fans put in, in a certain way. A friend told me to
put one in front to draw air in and one in back to pull air out. So far it
seems to work nicely. Noisy but cooler.

Old July 9th 04, 01:18 AM
kony

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 17:16:24 -0600, "Chris Stolworthy"
wrote:

Heya guys I am getting some peltiers to play with, I was reading and it
seems there is a maximum heat difference between the hot to cold side. I
was wondering if it is possible without harming the peltier to run it
without a heatsink so it doesn't get quite so cold?

No. They will melt/fry/etc.

I want it to get cool
just not freezing.

Then lower the input voltage, which will reduce temp difference.
Keep in mind that they will not get down to freezing if they
can't pump all the heat, that is a max unloaded rating for temp
difference.

Initially I was just going to use a voltage control to
the peltier to get it to the temp I want it, but if by not putting a
heatsink it operates within a good range I would rather do that. So can it
be done?

No, put the best heatsink you can fit, onto it.

I suspect you're thinking of freezing as an important temp to
avoid but it is not. Important point to avoid is the dew point,
which varies based on humidity (and maybe elevation, don't know,
am not a meteorologist). Even so, it's not that hard to insulate
the base.

Also keep in mind that many thermal compounds reach best
interface after heating up. For the first few days it could be
better to let CPU run at 50-60C, THEN get the peltier running at
higher voltage to reduce temp.