PCI slots

Old June 21st 04, 07:24 PM
Timothy Lee

Default PCI slots

I am reviewing motherboards for a first-time build, and am unfamiliar
with the availability of the PCI slot next the AGP slot. My present
computer is nearly 10 years old and doesn't have an AGP slot, but does
have some ISA slots, as well as PCI slots. If an adjacent PCI slot is
used on my present motherboard, this means I cannot use the
neighboring ISA slot, and vice versa -- if I use a neighboring ISA
slot, I cannot use the closest PCI slot. My questions is: is this
true of the PCI slot and adjacent AGP slot on current motherboards?
That is, if the AGP slot is used, does this mean the adjacent,
neighboring PCI slot cannot be used? Thank you.
Old June 21st 04, 08:15 PM
steven67@

Timothy Lee wrote:

I am reviewing motherboards for a first-time build, and am unfamiliar
with the availability of the PCI slot next the AGP slot. My present
computer is nearly 10 years old and doesn't have an AGP slot, but does
have some ISA slots, as well as PCI slots. If an adjacent PCI slot is
used on my present motherboard, this means I cannot use the
neighboring ISA slot, and vice versa -- if I use a neighboring ISA
slot, I cannot use the closest PCI slot. My questions is: is this
true of the PCI slot and adjacent AGP slot on current motherboards?
That is, if the AGP slot is used, does this mean the adjacent,
neighboring PCI slot cannot be used? Thank you.

..

No, the PCI slot and AGP slot are not "shared." The components and
bracket on an AGP card are mounted on the same side as a PCI card.

Old June 21st 04, 08:23 PM
The Prophecy

Timothy Lee wrote:
I am reviewing motherboards for a first-time build, and am unfamiliar
with the availability of the PCI slot next the AGP slot. My present
computer is nearly 10 years old and doesn't have an AGP slot, but does
have some ISA slots, as well as PCI slots. If an adjacent PCI slot is
used on my present motherboard, this means I cannot use the
neighboring ISA slot, and vice versa -- if I use a neighboring ISA
slot, I cannot use the closest PCI slot. My questions is: is this
true of the PCI slot and adjacent AGP slot on current motherboards?
That is, if the AGP slot is used, does this mean the adjacent,
neighboring PCI slot cannot be used? Thank you.

No. Most (if not all) motherboards with AGP slots have the AGP and PCI slots
placed far apart enough so that the above mentioned problem does not occur.

Old June 21st 04, 11:08 PM
DevilsPGD

In message MCheu
wrote:

There's no technical limitation preventing you from using both AGP and
PCI slot 0, *but* it's generally recommended that you leave an empty
space between the video card and the other expansion cards. The
reason being that modern video cards produce a fair amount of heat.
Having the neighboring slot occupied reduces airflow and cooling
efficiency for the video card. It also exposes the neighboring card
to a fairly hot heat source. In theory, that can affect the
performance and longevity of both.

Any thoughts on mounting fans that either suck air out, or blow straight
on the video card (typically mounting in the empty slot, using airflow
through the expansion slot)

--
News: CIVIL SERVANT STAYS AWAKE ALL SHIFT LONG
"Man, I've really got to cut back on the caffeine" he says
Old June 21st 04, 11:31 PM
kony

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:41:12 -0400, MCheu wrote:

There's no technical limitation preventing you from using both AGP and
PCI slot 0, *but* it's generally recommended that you leave an empty
space between the video card and the other expansion cards. The
reason being that modern video cards produce a fair amount of heat.
Having the neighboring slot occupied reduces airflow and cooling
efficiency for the video card. It also exposes the neighboring card
to a fairly hot heat source. In theory, that can affect the
performance and longevity of both.

I'll second that, it is best to leave that first slot empty unless you
REALLY need it. Further, many cases' airflow past the card is improved if
that PCI slot's case bracket cover is left off the machine. That may
allow more EMI to escape, but it is easy enough to notice whether that
makes a difference to any other equipment, whether the cover is on or off.
Old June 21st 04, 11:59 PM
Mike Walsh

With my old AGP 1x card I can use the adjacent PCI slot with no problems. Newer AGP cards produce so much heat that the required heatsink and fan will block the adjacent PCI slot.

Timothy Lee wrote:

I am reviewing motherboards for a first-time build, and am unfamiliar
with the availability of the PCI slot next the AGP slot. My present
computer is nearly 10 years old and doesn't have an AGP slot, but does
have some ISA slots, as well as PCI slots. If an adjacent PCI slot is
used on my present motherboard, this means I cannot use the
neighboring ISA slot, and vice versa -- if I use a neighboring ISA
slot, I cannot use the closest PCI slot. My questions is: is this
true of the PCI slot and adjacent AGP slot on current motherboards?
That is, if the AGP slot is used, does this mean the adjacent,
neighboring PCI slot cannot be used? Thank you.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 22nd 04, 01:56 AM
The Prophecy

Mike Walsh wrote:
With my old AGP 1x card I can use the adjacent PCI slot with no
problems. Newer AGP cards produce so much heat that the required
heatsink and fan will block the adjacent PCI slot.

No it doesn't. I have a GeForce FX 5600XT and the PCI slot next to it is not
blocked. The airflow to the video card is siginifcantly reduced but the slot
is definitly not blocked.

Old June 22nd 04, 03:46 AM
kony

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:56:32 GMT, "The Prophecy"
wrote:

Mike Walsh wrote:
With my old AGP 1x card I can use the adjacent PCI slot with no
problems. Newer AGP cards produce so much heat that the required
heatsink and fan will block the adjacent PCI slot.

No it doesn't. I have a GeForce FX 5600XT and the PCI slot next to it is not
blocked. The airflow to the video card is siginifcantly reduced but the slot
is definitly not blocked.

It may not be but with a card installed in that slot the fan will be
recycling so much of it's exhaust that it's effectiveness (and lifespan of
fan with higher spot-temp) will be far lower.

Can you mix PC133 & PC100 RAM together? Ablang General 11 May 1st 04 03:11 AM
Waking up second pair of IDE slots. Richard Brooks General 17 April 18th 04 09:48 PM
new pci slots? Cuzman General 1 February 3rd 04 05:48 AM
Is it it possible to add more PCI slots? Pepperoni General 2 January 24th 04 11:53 PM
how to test a motherboard / memory slots Tanya General 4 November 21st 03 03:46 PM