ATI Radeon Rant - No Stereo 3D Support

Old June 30th 03, 06:55 AM

Default ATI Radeon Rant - No Stereo 3D Support

ATI Radeon Rant - No Stereo 3D Support

Why is it that the most expensive video boards on the market , ATI, have zero
support for true stereo 3D graphics? You spend $300-$400 and then find out
there are no stereo 3D drivers support of any kind.
NVidia has released dozens of drivers for true stereo 3D. In fact, it's well
known in the 3D groups that if you want to do stereo 3D you almost have to get
an NVidia graphics card.
You can go on all you want about few people using stereo 3D, or that there are
third party drivers you can buy, but what it comes down to is that the NVidia
company is offering more features for less money.

Having said that, I will say I think the ATI Radeons are great. But I think they
are taking advantage of us, in fact ripping us off, by not offering a 3D stereo
driver for the Radeon cards.

My next video card will be an NVidia unless ATI resolves the problem.

P.S. What all this means is that if your going to use 3D shutter glasses, VR
HMD's (Virtual Reality Head mounted displays), or other stereoscopic devices you
should buy an NVidia card because ATI gives no support at all for stereo 3D.
It's ashamed.

Old June 30th 03, 08:53 AM
patrickp

wrote in message
[...]

So buy an NVidia card. ATi knows perfectly well that the revenue and sales
they may lose from not having 3D software is minimal - might even be less
than the cost of developing it! - so they're unlikely to bother.

So vote with your wallet. You think ATi cares? ;-)

patrickp

Old June 30th 03, 09:26 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:53:44 +0100
"patrickp" - take five to email me wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Personally, I got a board that supported that crap many years ago and
played with it for a while. Decided that it was pretty much a worthless
gimmick and it sits on a shelf somewhere now. And that capability has
never been a consideration since.

If this was really important to a significant portion of the market,
then somebody would have put it in the standards a long time ago.

patrickp

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)