Two failed P4C800-Deluxe's in six weeks

Old January 22nd 04, 12:25 AM
Joe Campbell

Default Two failed P4C800-Deluxe's in six weeks

Folk,

I've had two P4C800-deluxe motherboards failures in six weeks. The first
lasted four weeks, the second only ten days. Both failed identically. I'm
willing to write two consecutive failures off to a bad production run (or
just bad luck), but I want throw my story out here in case it rings some
bells. Maybe I've overlooked something. Comments anyone?

Failure mode: on reboot, the POST stops at the ASUS splash screen (with the
Intel Inside logo in lower-right corner). No beeps or voice warnings.

After replacing the first board, the system booted up just fine and ran
perfectly until failure. The first board failed without previous symptoms
during a reboot that is recommended after device driver installation. The
most recent one failed while I was using it. The system got VERY slow (5
seconds per mouse event). The task manager didn't show any hog processes, so
I just rebooted--only to find the system failed as described. (Note: two
days earlier, I had found the computer frozen in the morning, but it
rebooted normally.)

I ran exactly the same troubleshooting tests on the second failure as the
first. In both cases, the CPU heatsink was warm to the touch (about the
same as in normal operation), as was the Northbridge heat sink. I
disconnected every possible peripheral from the motherboard to see if the
POST would proceed farther--no joy. However, when I remove both DIMMs, the
BIOS's voice announced that the memory test had failed (duh), but the screen
didn't change; to me, this just shows that the POST hangs after the
memtest. In failure mode, all power supply voltages are right on the button.

Here's my system:

ASUS P4C800-deluxe mother board
1x CPU P4 2.4GHz, 800FSB 478P/512K
2 x Kingston 512mb 400 DDR DIMMs
2 x Seagate Baracuda 80 Gig (SATA)
1 x Sony DVD/CD reader (DDU1612)
1x Sony DVD/CD writer (DRU-510A)
1x Sony floppy drive (MPF9020)
1x Matrox G450 dual headed video card
1x Antec Sonata case with 380W power suppy
1x Zalman INT CNPS5700D-CU (copper heatsink & cooling fan).
Windows XP Pro

Thanks,

Joe Campbell

Old January 22nd 04, 01:07 AM
Navid

"Joe Campbell" wrote in message
[...]

Hello,

I don't have this board.
But, I have read this about it. I don't know if this is your problem.
You can decide.
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/7272/

Good luck

Old January 22nd 04, 02:24 AM
Joe Campbell

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Navid,

Thanks!

For those following this tread: the gist is that pressure from the
heatsink/fan mounting bracket deforms a solder pad over time so that the pad
leaks (and eventually shorts) to an adjacent trace.

Based upon the photo in link you sent, this seems very plausibly the source
of my problem, especially considering that the weight of the Zalman heat
sink is right at the limit specifed by Intel, and, since it's mounted
horizontally, is torquing the mount bracket even more than a stock
fan/heatsink.

I'll certainly report back with the results tomorrow.

Joe Campbell

Old January 22nd 04, 11:58 AM
wfs

Hi Joe,
I believe my first P4C800-E had this problem, so I returned it. (it
would only boot up about 1 in 10 times - but once booted ran fine)

The replacement board I received, had a modified heat sink retainer,
with spacers, so it didn't press on any solder joints. I also filed down the
standard intel heatsink, so it didn't press down so tightly. So far, this
one is 'much' better. It only loses the BIOS settings about once a week..

Bill

...... (my 'old' supermicro has booted faithfully for the last 2 or 3
years....)

"Joe Campbell" wrote in message

"Navid" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

..
Joe Campbell

Old January 22nd 04, 06:21 PM
Joe Campbell

All,

I don't know whether to glad or sad, but neither of my failed motherboards
has the problem described above. In fact, it's obvious that Asus has
addressed the problem: the solder pad that was the source of the
short/leakage has now been wiped clean during manufacture.

Any other ideas appreciated....

Joe

Old January 22nd 04, 10:04 PM
p&j

All,

I acquired a new P4c800-e on 19.01.2004 + P4 2.8ghz 800fsb +
generic 2x 256mb P3200, CL3 ram + MSI FX5200 video. The
said solder points on otherside of the CPU part of the board are
as flat as the "Vers 2.0" board is - no problem.

I took out my 100% reliable 3+ year old Asus P3BF m/b and through
this lot in (gently). I cannot get the m/b to POST - not even an ASUS
logo to appear on the screen. All I get is the "CPU test failed" via the
m/b audio out connection. I thought it was the CPU so I replaced with
no improvement.The MasterCooler heatsink and fan were scary, they
were so hard to clip on. From what I've read on the following link, I
may have applied too much force - I installed the cooler while m/b was
free from the case so as too have more control over pressure points -
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/7272/ I have even tried
POSTing with the heatsink + fan removed to rectify pressure problem.

I spoke to Mike at Asus' Support line (T.0870 1208340 from the UK)
and he advised me to release the CMOS battery and mains power cord
and also to change the BIOS clearing connector from pins 2+3 to 1+2 for
about 10 seconds - I thought releasing the CMOS battery would have been
enough. When I explained that this had already been tried his reply was to
just take m/b back to supplying shop (Watford Electronics/Savastore).

This is a half our away so I will have to wait until Saterday.

The only other thing I can think of is the possibility that PSU, which
states
0.5 amps @ UK's 230v, could be starving the 75w consumption CPU.
This same power supply (20 pin to m/b connector model) successfully powered
my previous P3BF + 500mhz P3 + two hard drives + two DVD player +
DVD re-writer, so I'm not too sure about the truth of the 0.5 amp statement.

Sorry can't help any further.

Peter

Old January 23rd 04, 02:06 AM
Paul

In article , "p&j"
wrote:

[...]

Did you connect the 2x2 power connector next to the DIMM sockets ?
The 2x2 connector carries +12V from the power supply to the Vcore
circuit that powers the processor. Without it, you'll be dead in the
water. Perhaps a newer power supply will help, or maybe find a
drive power connector to 2x2 adapter or something.

When you buy your new power supply, make sure it can provide at
least 12V @ 15amps output, as the 12V is heavily loaded on modern
motherboards. (I.e. no matter what the overall power output is listed
for the supply, check the label or have someone check the label, to
see how much +12V capacity it has.) I only mention this, because
there are some "high power" supplies out there, that only offer
10 amps on the +12V output, and that is asking for trouble.

HTH,
Paul
Old January 23rd 04, 06:46 PM
p&j

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "p&j"
wrote:

[...]

No I haven't. My PSU does not have such a connector and the m/b manual did
not appear to mention it.

Back in a minute, I'm off to Maplins.

Peter

Old January 24th 04, 08:09 PM
p&j

"p&j" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "p&j"
wrote:

[...]

Paul,
Thanks for your suggestion. I went out and bought a thermal controlled 350w
(30 amp) output PSU - nice and quite - and it had the required square, extra
4 pin connector. System now up and running. Just need to get the onboard
sound drivers sorted. Everything else is perfect.

Next time I'll try more patience and read the m/b manual fully.

Peter.

Old January 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Noozer

Thanks for your suggestion. I went out and bought a thermal controlled 350w
(30 amp) output PSU - nice and quite - and it had the required square,

extra
4 pin connector. System now up and running. Just need to get the onboard
sound drivers sorted. Everything else is perfect.

Next time I'll try more patience and read the m/b manual fully.

Not to harp on you personally, but this is exactly the reason that vendors
make it so difficult to offer product returns. If folks were a bit more
careful the vendors could trust their customers a bit more.