Ghost 2003 on XP Pro SP2 - Making me crazy!!!! Bonkers! !!! Bat****!!!

Old September 20th 04, 06:22 AM
pc macdonald

Default Ghost 2003 on XP Pro SP2 - Making me crazy!!!! Bonkers! !!! Bat****!!!

Ghost 2003 is giving me fits.

Plan I:

I thought I'd make this easy, so I bought a WD outboard HDD with USB2
to do comlete HDD uncompressed image backups to. After about 12 hours
of fooling around with every hardware and Ghost permutation imaginable
(trust me on this), I took the HDD back to the vendor and began Plan
II.

Plan II:

First I did a backup of my XP C:\ drive (with the applications also on
this drive) from XP to CDROM using the Ghost XP user interface. It
took a very, very long time to write a dozen discs at standard
compression, over 3 or 4 hours (more?) for a HDD that had about 15 GB
on it.

I went to test the integrity of the image with the XP user interface
tool, it failed on the second disc. *(&^(*%

Sooooo.... I wrote the images to an NTFS drive with the options
"-split=675 -z9" to make spanned images with high compression that
would fit on a standard CDROM.

This was kind of nice because the backup only took about 32 minutes,
and the integrity check took 5 or ten. Ghost was happy, happy, happy
with all the files. I burned this second backup set to CDROM. I used
to use this approach years ago with my NT4 systems. It worked great.

I made the "standard ghost boot disc" but it wouldn't recognize my
cdrom image files. I had to use MS-DOS because the PCDOS versions
couldn't find the command.com file. WHo knows why. I'm an
experienced computer nerd, and I just can't believe they still make it
this difficult.

So, I then made the bootable floppy set (2 discs) for CD/DVDs that
"were not created with Ghost."

When booted from these, Ghost sees the files ok, but complains that
they are not ghost images. I assume that the last file written,
xxx.gho, is the first file it expectes. (I tried the first one
written to the HDD, xxx.001, just for grins, but it didn't like it
either.)

What the what? I've used this program lots over the years, and it
still makes me bat****.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

pc
Old September 20th 04, 09:26 AM
Graham Mayor

You need to ensure that the appropriate USB drivers are installed by Ghost -
see http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm.

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 20th 04, 05:25 PM
pc macdonald

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
You need to ensure that the appropriate USB drivers are installed by Ghost -
see http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm.

--

Graham Mayor

pc macdonald wrote:
Ghost 2003 is giving me fits.
SNIP

http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm is excellent, indeed!

Yep. Done that. I've given up on the USB with Ghost. I really did
try removing all my other USB devices, Tried USB 1.1, USB2 drivers,
all permutations of different USB ports, standard and high speed, with
mouse, without mouse, etc. With drive letters, w/o drive letters,
with the original FAT32 partition, with an NT partition on the target
USB HDD. I attempted a _very_ large matrix of permutations over a 12
or 14 hour period. Ghost still couldn't recognize the drive.

I am, however, impressed with how difficult Ghost still is to use
after so much time has passed.

The USB procedure is history for me at present. I no longer have the
drive. No more USB and Ghost for now!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I would just like to be able to read the images I have
burned from the HDD alternate partition to a CDROM from a floppy
recovery disc.

The images were coincidentally generated exactly as outlined at the
exceptional site you referenced, except that I used the command line
'-split=675'. Note that the '-auto' referenced for the command line
at this site is not necessary, as the Ghost 2003 manual states it is a
default switch setting. In any event, the images spanned nicely and
auto named without it.

Why won't the Ghost recovery floppy read my image files from CDROM?
It sees them. They have the standard, default naming convention.
Ghost just claims they aren't ghost files. It reads the very same
image files just fine from the HDD.

Maybe I'll just settle for leaving them on the HDD. It's pretty big,
anyway.

Anybody else have any ideas?

tx

pc
Old September 21st 04, 02:35 AM
Dave

pc macdonald wrote:
Ghost 2003 is giving me fits.
SNIP

http://www.gmayor.com/Norton_Ghost.htm is excellent, indeed!

I am, however, impressed with how difficult Ghost still is to use
after so much time has passed.

You might want to look at Ghost 2005. It's a lot less confusing, and
since it runs in Windows the USB problems should be less. Even
booting from the CD it runs in Windows PE.

Dave
Old September 21st 04, 02:53 AM
Coup

pc macdonald wrote:
[...]

Yep, give up on Symantec & Ghost....

Acronis TrueImage 8, makes your backup INSIDE Win, much clearer
interface (with virtually all the same options) oh, and it WORKS.
and their Rescue Boot CD I believe boots into Linux ...been using it
with XP and now XP SP2 with NO 'issues'....

I gave up the "Ghost" over 18 months ago....
Old September 21st 04, 09:29 AM
Graham Mayor

In order for Ghost to be able to use the USB drive, the PC has to be able to
see it when using DOS. Even when operating from within Windows Ghost works
with a DOS subset - it would have to in order to be able to transfer
normally open Windows system files. Unfortunately USB was not well
implemented on some older hardware and the drivers don't enable the PC to
see the drive.

If you choose an external drive the device information dialog in the backup
wizard will detail whether the device is available.

As for the discs. If you copy the data files to CDR as plain ISO format
discs, DOS should be able to read them and if DOS can read them, so can
Ghost.

The problems are attributable to a mixing of old and new technologies to
enable the discs to be restored to a PC that will not otherwise start. You
will need a boot CD or better still a boot floppy with the CD drivers to run
the restore routine.

Ghost 9/2005 adds a few features including the ability to backup from within
Windows and to open image files from Drive Image also, but Ghost 2003 is
still included for use with major failures when Windows cannot be started. I
am not convinced it is a worthwhile upgrade.

While any software will have its detractors, and I can see that those not
weaned on DOS may have a few initial headaches, Ghost remains for me the
most useful piece of software in the toolkit and will pay for itself in
labour saved the first time it has to be used to restore a hard drive.

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 22nd 04, 07:54 AM
Edvard Ringen

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

Ghost 9/2005 adds a few features including the ability to backup from
within Windows and to open image files from Drive Image also, but Ghost
2003 is still included for use with major failures when Windows cannot be
started. I am not convinced it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Actually Ghost 2003 is included for use with Windows 9x, Me, NT, Linux and
DOS.
Ghost 2005 can not _create_ a backup image by booting from the CD, it can
only restore (regardless of Windows ability to boot). That means you have to
create your disk images from within Windows. Ghost 2005 relies on the
Microsoft .Net Framework, which is only available for Windows 2000/XP.

Although running Ghost 2005 with incremental updates from within Windows
seems to work flawlessly, I still have a gut feeling that an image created
from a manual boot from a Ghost 2003 floppy is better. To be safe I do both,
a daily incremental backup using Ghost 2005 and a (semi)weekly complete
backup using Ghost 2003. Just to be on the safe side.... :-)

Ed

Old September 22nd 04, 08:46 AM
Graham Mayor

I looked through the 'what's new' section of the Ghost 2005 blurb on
Symantec's web site and saw answers to non existent problems. I only
upgraded to version 2003 to grab the USB2 drivers which had not been
included in the earlier versions, and to read and write NTFS formats. Your
further comments suggest my interpretation was correct

--

Graham Mayor

Old September 24th 04, 01:36 PM
Dave

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:54:29 +0200, "Edvard Ringen"
wrote:

[...]

I'm still not totally comfortable with any program claiming to make a
backup image while Windows is running. Acronis takes it a step
further, and claims you can continue to work while making the image
backup. Like I'm going to update my Accounts Receivable while Acronis
is making an "image" backup. Yeah, right.

So far I have had any problems with Ghost 2005 restoring a backup.
But I still use 2003 and burn the images to DVD's......just in case.
Dave
Old October 3rd 04, 04:23 PM
pc macdonald

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message ...
In order for Ghost to be able to use the USB drive, the PC has to be able to
see it when using DOS. Even when operating from within Windows Ghost works

SNIP
While any software will have its detractors, and I can see that those not
weaned on DOS may have a few initial headaches

SNIP

Graham Mayor

Thanks for your reply. I've done all those things. I've been using
Ghost for over a decade.

This is still the condition: Ghost 2003. Make split images directly
to HDD with 8.3 format DOS names from the Ghost program, setup via the
Windoze interface, performed from a self-boot into DOS. Ghost
explorer reads the image fine from the HDD. The tool that checks the
image integrity via dos reads them fine from the HDD. The PCDOS DOS
recovery program recognizes the image when it is on the HDD.

When burned to a CDROM via NERO as an ISO Level 1 ASCII Char Set file,
the PCDOS based recovery program does not recognize the image as
having been generated by Ghost, although it does find it correctly.

The PCDOS recovery program _WILL_ read the image if I make the whole
backup to CDROM via DOS, but that's painful, time consuming, and not
always successful.

mac

Failure to create backup image by Ghost 2003 Ray General 17 January 12th 05 10:35 PM
Norton Ghost 2003 Scottie General 8 September 22nd 04 12:21 AM
Can't See New HD After Cloning with Ghost 2003 Nehmo Sergheyev General 15 March 27th 04 10:15 PM
Ghost 2003 OEM version for Dummies Steve P Homebuilt PC's 22 November 18th 03 01:48 AM
What DVD format works with Norton Ghost 2003? van General 1 October 12th 03 07:40 PM