Nero 5.5: mixed mode CD, why data on track 1?

Old May 18th 04, 01:21 AM

Default Nero 5.5: mixed mode CD, why data on track 1?

Hello.

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

This is annoying because when I put the mixed mode CD into an audio CD
player, I always have to skip track 1 in order to hear the music. Track 1
always plays as a completely silent track.

I was also wondering, if the audio CD player thinks the data track is
audio, why is the output completely silent? I was expecting to hear some
random screeching or humming noises as the CD player feeds raw bytes of
data to the codec's analog outputs, but somehow that's not the case.

Finally, I am under the impression that using the mixed mode template
increases the usable space of a blank CD, and I'm guessing it's because
audio and data go into one single session. Burning one session with only
audio tracks, and a second one with data, would solve the ordering problem
above, but yields less usable space. Is this correct?

Enlightment very appreciated!

If you see a 'X' in my address, please remove it before e-mailing me.
Do not add me to any MicroSoft address book; let's stop the viruses.
Do not send me unsolicited mail. I track and report spammers.

The FAQ files v1.21 for the Tropez, and v1.01 for the TBS-2001 sound
boards can be obtained from:
http://www.landfield.com/faqs/PCsoundcards/
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~mccreary/tbeach/faq.html
http://www.pasteur.fr/infosci/FAQ/PCsoundcards/
http://faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/co...card.misc.html
Old May 18th 04, 02:06 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

Burn in CD-Extra by selecting "CD EXTRA" icon in the left pane of New
Compilation window. (Careful not put data into the special folders.)

Burn in Enhanced CD by first burning audio with "Audio CD" without
Finalize CD, then burn data with "CD-ROM(ISO)" and "No Multisession".
(Uncheck Finalize CD if you want to add more data later.) (This is the
old Nero way of burning CD-Extra.)

See:
How do I put audio and data on the same CD?
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-14

(If you go to Mikey's site, be careful. It's abundant with half-baked
research, that is, misinformation. See my responses to Mikey.)

This is annoying because when I put the mixed mode CD into an audio CD
player, I always have to skip track 1 in order to hear the music. Track 1
always plays as a completely silent track.

I was also wondering, if the audio CD player thinks the data track is
audio, why is the output completely silent? I was expecting to hear some
random screeching or humming noises as the CD player feeds raw bytes of
data to the codec's analog outputs, but somehow that's not the case.

Mixed Mode is also described as "Don't play track 1" format. CD-R Faq
cited above touches on the playing "data".

Finally, I am under the impression that using the mixed mode template
increases the usable space of a blank CD, and I'm guessing it's because
audio and data go into one single session. Burning one session with only
audio tracks, and a second one with data, would solve the ordering problem
above, but yields less usable space. Is this correct?

You may very well be right that Mixed Mode gives more usable space, but
if there is gain, it's in my guess about 37M when compared with Enhanced
CD.
Old May 18th 04, 02:09 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Slimy Scum) spewed:

wrote:

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

These and related matters are covered in the usual references: the CD-R
FAQ and the primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

Mixed Mode has data first. You want "Enhanced CD" or "CD Extra"

"Enhanced CD", Mikey?

Mike Richter & Enhanced CD (Half-Baked Research)

==================================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 8/28/01

There is no Enhanced CD Mode
- so, no, people have not used it.
==================================

Unbelievably, the above Mikey's statement is the fruit of ITS so-called
"research":

======================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Subject: Mixed Modes - and similar
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.
======================

So much for the Mikey's so-called "research" and
so much for the so-called "expert" who reviewed it.

[Any chance to reveal the identity of this so-called "expert?"]

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old May 19th 04, 01:38 PM
Vastly Doggerel

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
[...]

smh, MR sums up in his own words what, as an old player, he has become:

...but old players do not and can screech
intolerably if given Mixed Mode.

Thanks for your clear instructions. Looking forward to more rebuttals of the
Intolerable Screecher from you.
--
Vastly

Old May 19th 04, 05:39 PM
smh

Vastly Doggerel wrote:

smh, MR sums up in his own words what, as an old player, he has become:

...but old players do not and can screech
intolerably if given Mixed Mode.

Thanks for your clear instructions. Looking forward to more rebuttals of the
Intolerable Screecher from you.

"Intolerable Screecher" !!!

Like that!

Good to see you again, and will do so.
Old May 20th 04, 07:01 AM
smh

wrote:

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

These and related matters are covered in the usual references: the CD-R
FAQ and the primer at my WWW site. Briefly:

Mixed Mode has data first. You want "Enhanced CD" or "CD Extra" to have
audio first.

Here's your not so brief mumbo jumbo:

Mike Richter: CD-R Faq Makes a Common Mistake!

From: smh
Subject: how to create CD-Enhanced ?
Date: 1/28/04

Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum) spewed (1/25/04):

I tried to create a Mixed-Mode CD, but Nero always puts the VCD-part
as the first track, which some CD-Players don't like.

Details are in the usual references: the CD-R FAQ and the primer at my
WWW site. Check under multisession for both CD Extra and 'Enhanced CD'.

Briefly, what you want can be done as a single writing as a CD Extra

It will write both sessions

Otherwise, write the audio session first, leaving the disc open. Then
write the data session *without* importing the first session and close
the disc.

Is CD Extra multisession now, Mikey?

From: smh
Subject: CD-Extra Help
Date: 5/30/03

Mikey sure knows a lot about Enhanced CD and CD Extra.
Why Mikey even points out a mistake in the CD-R Faq:

======================
From: Mike Richter
Subject: Easy CD Creator makes CD-Extra disc
with no track titles

It happens that the FAQ makes a common mistake in that section,
confusing "Enhanced CD" with its predecessor, "CD Extra"
======================

CD-R FAQ's supposed *MISTAKE* is taking CD Extra and Enhanced CD
synonymously when they are different in Mikey's cockamamie
definitions:

"CD Extra uses a single session"
"If there are two sessions, it is an 'Enhanced CD'"

cRoxio's glossary makes the same common MISTAKE:

CD Extra
A multisession disc...

Enhanced CD
See CD Extra.

But instead of saying cRoxio also makes a common mistake,
Mikey said this:

Roxio's information is correct for CD Extra, but may not cover
the unspecified but more practical "Enhanced CD"

(Previously Mikey spewed there is no Enhanced CD!)

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' ****!
-------------------------------
Old May 22nd 04, 09:02 PM
smh

wrote:

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

These and related matters are covered in the usual references: the CD-R
FAQ and the primer at my WWW site.

Isn't your site abundant with half-baked research?

Mike Richter & CD Extra - SAO/TAO ? (Half-Baked Research)

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Friggin' Scum)
Date: 9/15/01
with no track titles

Is there any way to make a CD-Extra disc and get the track
information on it?

If you want to do a true CD Extra, you have to comply with
the rules for CD Extra - which means TAO and no titles.

ECDC and anything else which complies with the standard will
comply with the standard.

I know that's hard to accept, but try - real hard.
=====================

Perhaps, it's Mike Richter who should try - real hard?

http://www.roxio.com/en/common/gloss2.html (link invalid)
http://www.osta.org/technology/cdr.htm#s (same as above)

Session-at-Once is...used for CD Extra.

From: Mike Richter (Friggin' ****)
Date: 5/30/01

After doing the research, I have prepared a page on the combination
modes and posted it in the primer at my site. Though one expert has
reviewed it, I look forward to comments from anyone with experience.
=====================

So much for the Mikey's so-called "research" and
so much for the so-called "expert" who reviewed it.

[Any chance to reveal the identity of this so-called "expert"?]

-------------------------------
Mikey, you are a Friggin' Scum!
-------------------------------
Old May 23rd 04, 05:33 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Mike Richter (Intolerable Screecher) screeched:

TowXWang wrote:

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can I
make the data go into the last track?

Mixed Mode has data first. You want "Enhanced CD" or "CD Extra" to have
audio first.

Figured out Mixed Mode, Mikey?

=====================
From: Mike Richter (Intolerable Screecher)
Subject: Why can't i make a mixed-mode CD?
Date: 5/12/01

Goran Marinic wrote:

Mike Richter (Intolerable Screecher) screeched:

Mixed Mode is multisession by definition.
I found it out by reading the definition. === READ ???!!!

And where did you read this definition? I find it very hard to believe.

There is a glossary at Roxio's site. === Not Silent ???!!!

There is a CD-R FAQ. I also have
the ECMA standards - but am not inclined to do your research for you.

Why do you find it hard to believe that a disc with at least two
sessions is multisession? Is there something about the number two which
you equate to "single"? Or have you a definition for a dataudio session?
=======================

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Scum)
Date: 5/17/01

I learned from previous discussion here thatI was in error
(see my post with Subject "Mixed Mode") - and now I have
to research it.

I believe the Roxio site (like my primer)
is silent on the subject, === READ from Silent !!!

providing only a definition
in terms of track sequence.