Bad CD-R burns on LiteOn 52x..

Old July 19th 03, 03:22 PM
Dan G

Default Bad CD-R burns on LiteOn 52x..

Try the drive in another computer if you can. Sounds like an issue of some
sort, but it might not be the drive. You could also update Nero. Also try
the drive in DAO mode, no multisession.

"Bob M" wrote in message
Yesterday I tried the third incremental data backup to a Maxell CD-R disk.
Using the Nero software 5.5.9.13 that came with the drive.
Initial source data of about 200Mg went OK back in May, a 2nd incremental,
about 10mg also ok. 3rd had errors on verify: "Read error on cd file" etc.
Some unchanged sub-directories were unaccessable, even in DOS.

1. Is this disk salvageable? i.e., can I mark the bad tracks and use the
remaining 400Mb for anything?

I grabbed a blank TDK CD-R disk, tried a full backup and the red light

never
came on (Indicating that burning is in progress) errors" "SCSI/ATAPI

command
timeout error" "Invalid write state" "Could not perform end track" "Burn
process failed". (At 32X)

Then a blank K Hypermedia disk, rated 48X, but I ran it at 24X. This time

the
red light came on a while, but then turned orange, and the drive slowed

down.
It did burn something on the disk, but it gave the same errors as the TDK

plus
"session fixation error".

Finally, I used an expensive (Compared to CD-R) Verbatim 24X R/W disk, and

it
did the backup with no errors.

Why would the drive work OK with R/W but not CD-R? Do they use different

heads
or something?

Should I try even slower burn rates for the CD-R disks? Blow it out with
canned air? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-----------

Remove "not" for return address.

Old July 21st 03, 11:59 AM
Joe R

I've had a couple of drives go belly up and what you discribe sounds like
the drive is failing. As another poster said try it in another machine. Then
you'll know.

Joe

Old July 21st 03, 04:15 PM
Dan G

No, a coaster is called a coaster for a reason, throw them out. There's a
50/50 chance that your problem is the media itself, try some Fuji 48x media.

"Bob M" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:59:07 GMT, "Joe R" wrote:

I've had a couple of drives go belly up and what you discribe sounds like
the drive is failing. As another poster said try it in another machine.

Then
you'll know.

My other machine is a laptop, so I can't try the drive there.
I have found that if I limit the speed to 12x, it works reliably.
So why did I buy a 52X drive? The maxell cd-r disks say they are 40X.
Odd that I can burn R/Ws at 24X.

Does anyone know if all these disks I have been making which contain

errors
can be re-used? Can the bad sections be marked bad, and record on the
remaining good areas?

Remove "not" for return address.