High Pitched Noise in Speakers

Old August 12th 04, 05:28 PM

Default High Pitched Noise in Speakers

My wife's computer had been using the onboard sound system. The moment
she turned on the computer the speakers produced a high pitched tone.
The tone would get louder if she turned the volume up and disappear
when I disconnected the speakers from the computer. I assumed there
was something wrong with the onboard sound.

I recently upgraded from a SB Live to Audigy 2 and decided to put the
Live card in my wife's computer. It produces the same sound but
didn't in my computer.

She's running an ECS socket 370 motherboard with an SiS chipset and a
Celeron Processor (she doens't do much with the system and she seems
happy with it). I built the whole thing into a case I purchased ---
a suntek color case because she wanted something with color.

So, the sound is produced by the onboard sound and the Live Card.
I changed a different set of speakers and they also produced the
sound. Neither set of speakers was top of the line.

I'm considering ordering a new case with a decent power supply and
wonder if that might actually be the problem. I have heard of poorly
designed power supply noise leaking into the sound system but don't
know if this is just an old geeks tale.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Old August 12th 04, 05:56 PM
Shawk

wrote in message
[...]

Doesnt sound like a sound card (onboard or otherwise) problem nor a speaked
problem. Something in the vicinity is causing this. The techies in here
will give a proper explanation about shielding etc.

Simple thing (simple for me anyway - dont know how yours is set up) would be
to remove things from around the PC or better, move the PC to another room.
If it still makes the noise there is something within or attached to the PC
that is doing it. Its then a process of elimination and it 'might' even be
the old PSU.

Shaun

Old August 12th 04, 08:26 PM
JAD

wrote in message
[...]

turn down your pots to 3/4 max

Old August 13th 04, 12:53 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:26:51 -0700, "JAD"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks.
I'm assuming that "pots" here refers to the potentiometers that
control volume.

Normally they are at about 1/4 to 1/2 max. The sound disappears
only when the speakers are switched off OR are not connected to the
soundcard jack.

Old August 13th 04, 12:54 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 23:43:21 GMT, "jpsga" wrote:

Turn the Mic. off.

Thanks

No mic is connected. Mic channel in the volume control applet is set
to mute and the gain switch is unchecked.

.. .

Old August 13th 04, 01:00 AM

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:56:32 +0100, "Shawk"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks,

I have tried moving the wires around. I've tried unplugging the
speakers from the surge suppressor and plugging them directly into the
outlet. I've turned off every electrical device except for the
computer.

I noticed today that sometimes when my wife shuts down the computer
she doesn't turn off the main switch on the surge suppressor, which
then shuts down power to the speakers and monitor. Sometimes the
speakers make the sound until they are powered down. Sometimes they
don't.

She uses one of those under the monitor power center/surge suppressor
deals, as do I.

Old August 21st 04, 03:32 AM
Glenn M

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:28:42 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Check the settings for MIC or other inputs ..could be feedback from
line in, mic, ect... mute what is not in use and see what happens...
Glenn M

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd
Old August 28th 04, 01:03 AM

In case anyone cares.

I replaced the power supply in my wife's computer. I was surprised
to find that it was a 230W job. I installed a 300W sparkle from
newegg. The noise is gone.

So a cheapo power supply can affect sound.

Thanks for all your suggestions.