Motherboard Advice Needed

Old February 26th 04, 11:32 PM
Gareth Edmondson

Default Motherboard Advice Needed

Dear Group,

It has been a while since I purchased individual components for a computer
system, usually I buy stocks of systems for the ICT department where I
teach. Therefore I wonder if someone could offer advice on the following
combination:

Abit AN7 nForce2 (SoA) motherboard fitted with an AMD Athlon "Barton"
XP2800+ 333 FSB processor. (not forgetting the headsync).

The whole lot to run with 512Mb DDR400 memory

Are there any pitfalls to this combination? There are so many different
types of motherboard and chip combination available it is hard to know what
to choose. I have had my MSI board and Athlon 1300 for a few years now with
no problems. I have a choice of chips - the XP2600+ or the XP2800+ - will I
see much of a difference when pushing the computer with Photoshop and
Premier?

All help is appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Gareth

Old February 26th 04, 11:58 PM
CB

"Gareth Edmondson"
wrote in message ...
[...]

The only problem I can see is that DDR400 memory restricts you to 2 slots on
the 3 slot MoBo. Download the manual and read it.

QUOTE:

"Supports 2 DIMM DDR 400 (Max. 2GB)"

It could also mean that the third slot would default a DDR 400 to DDR 333
but it doe's not state that in the manual.

If you use DDR333 on the other hand up to £GB of memory can be accommodated.

HTH
--
Craven Birds

Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Old February 27th 04, 12:55 AM
Dave C.

If you use DDR333 on the other hand up to £GB of memory can be

accommodated.

HTH
--
Craven Birds

Not only that, but system performance will improve with DDR333, as the
system won't be running asynchronously. Why do so many people who don't
plan to overclock choose to buy RAM that is not properly matched with their
chosen CPU? I can understand thinking of faster must be better, but unless
the CPU is running at a higher FSB (ie OVERclocked), then the exact opposite
is true. That is, faster RAM will slow you down unless you speed up the CPU
to match it, which is not recommended. -Dave

Old February 27th 04, 01:06 AM
CB

"Dave C." wrote in message

If you use DDR333 on the other hand up to £GB of memory can be

accommodated.

HTH
--
Craven Birds

Not only that, but system performance will improve with DDR333, as the
system won't be running asynchronously. Why do so many people who don't
plan to overclock choose to buy RAM that is not properly matched with

their
chosen CPU? I can understand thinking of faster must be better, but

unless
the CPU is running at a higher FSB (ie OVERclocked), then the exact

opposite
is true. That is, faster RAM will slow you down unless you speed up the

CPU
to match it, which is not recommended. -Dave

I certainly agree, but didn't like to comment. I use DDR333 that's what the
boards designed for! The difference between DDR333 & 400 is negligible and
as you say could run slower etc.

Old February 27th 04, 11:24 AM
Gareth Edmondson

"CB" wrote in message

"Dave C." wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the advice guys. Just what I was looking for. The DDR333 RAM is
cheaper, however if I can get away with it, I will be using my current RAM
for a while - spread the cost a little

Many thanks once again,

Gareth Edmondson

Old February 27th 04, 12:32 PM
CB

"Gareth Edmondson"
wrote in message ...
"CB" wrote in message

"Dave C." wrote in message

[...]

If you've 2 sticks of DDR400 then go for it. It's a pretty decent board IMO.
It will certainly run them at DDR400 no problem. I was just pointing out the
loss of a slot! Bit strange that IMO.

Old February 27th 04, 02:59 PM

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:55:46 -0500, "Dave C."
wrote:

If you use DDR333 on the other hand up to £GB of memory can be

accommodated.

HTH
--
Craven Birds

Not only that, but system performance will improve with DDR333, as the
system won't be running asynchronously. Why do so many people who don't
plan to overclock choose to buy RAM that is not properly matched with their
chosen CPU? I can understand thinking of faster must be better, but unless
the CPU is running at a higher FSB (ie OVERclocked), then the exact opposite
is true. That is, faster RAM will slow you down unless you speed up the CPU
to match it, which is not recommended. -Dave

No need to buy slower DDR. Just run the PC3200 at DDR333. Buying
faster ram doesn't cost much more and is more flexible. You might have
use for that stick of ram, for a different PC or different CPU, in
some future.
Also, based upon my experience of marginal mobo-ram combinations
working just fine when underclocked, my guess is that it's more stable
as well. Look at prices on PC2700 and PC2100 for instance. Why buy
PC2100? Doesn't make any sense to me.

ancra

Old February 27th 04, 03:24 PM
CB

wrote:

[...]

But reading the MoBo manual if you do use DDR400, you loose a slot! Unless
the manual is wrong;-)

Old February 27th 04, 03:52 PM
Gareth Edmondson

No need to buy slower DDR. Just run the PC3200 at DDR333. Buying
faster ram doesn't cost much more and is more flexible. You might have
use for that stick of ram, for a different PC or different CPU, in
some future.
Also, based upon my experience of marginal mobo-ram combinations
working just fine when underclocked, my guess is that it's more stable
as well. Look at prices on PC2700 and PC2100 for instance. Why buy
PC2100? Doesn't make any sense to me.

But reading the MoBo manual if you do use DDR400, you loose a slot! Unless
the manual is wrong;-)

Well until I can raise the extra cash, the board will be running PC2100 RAM
for now. I assume it can come down to that level. Eventually I will go up to
the newer RAM.

Many thanks for yoru advice again,

Gareth

Old February 27th 04, 04:11 PM
Minimax

I think it is depend on what you wnat it for, if you want to edit video or
multimedia use, P4 probably better, and if you are interested in
"overclocking" why not go for an Abit IC7 G or even Max3?

I have just compiled a spec for someone who wants a high-end PC for
transferring video to DVD. It cost around £700 including the case, this is
just for your consideration, I am not saying it suits what you want :-)

Pentium 4E 3.0 1MB S478 800FSB - £169 Dabs.com
Abit IC7 G - £119 Dabs.com
2 x 512MB RAM DDR400 PC3200 (Crucial CT6464z40B) - £112 Dabs
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE 128MB DDR AGP8x DVI-I TV-Out Lite Retail Box - £117
ebuyer.com
Seagate ST3160023AS 160GB 7200rpm Barracuda 7200.7 SATA - OEM -£84.45
ebuyer.com
Pioneer 8x DVD DUAL R/RW IDE Burner - OEM (patch it to 12x!!!!!!) - £115.61
ebuyer.com

Just one last thing - Don't buy your components from overclockers.co.uk -
poor customer support.

Cheers!