feasable psu mod?

Old February 5th 04, 02:13 PM
eric

Default feasable psu mod?

I'm running an Intel 2.4ghz on an Asus P4P800 with a video card hard
drive, cd-rom and network card, no peripherals really.

I am currently using a no-name psu rated at 300 watts which gives

3.3v line 14v
5v line 30v
12v line 10v
5vsb line 2.0v

then I have laying aorund an Enermax eg 351p-v rated at 330Watts

3.3v line 30v
5v line 32v
12v line 12v
5vsb line 1.8v

the first one has a P4 12v plug and the enermax doesn't. Would it be
feasable to hack the p4 plug onto the enermax??

second question is: if it is feasable, how to do it.

I thought i could get 12 volts by using any red wire and black wire.
Howver, the P4 plug on the no-name cpu has 2 yellows and two blacks
going into it.

any advice?

thanks.
Old February 5th 04, 02:21 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
eric wrote:
[...]

Why ?

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old February 5th 04, 02:22 PM
philo

"eric" wrote in message
om...
I'm running an Intel 2.4ghz on an Asus P4P800 with a video card hard
drive, cd-rom and network card, no peripherals really.

I am currently using a no-name psu rated at 300 watts which gives

3.3v line 14v
5v line 30v
12v line 10v
5vsb line 2.0v

then I have laying aorund an Enermax eg 351p-v rated at 330Watts

3.3v line 30v
5v line 32v
12v line 12v
5vsb line 1.8v

the first one has a P4 12v plug and the enermax doesn't. Would it be
feasable to hack the p4 plug onto the enermax??

No...

Not only that...if you measured your volatges correctly
neither supply is within spec anyway

Old February 5th 04, 03:41 PM
SteveH

"philo" wrote in message

"eric" wrote in message
om...
I'm running an Intel 2.4ghz on an Asus P4P800 with a video card hard
drive, cd-rom and network card, no peripherals really.

I am currently using a no-name psu rated at 300 watts which gives

3.3v line 14v
5v line 30v
12v line 10v
5vsb line 2.0v

then I have laying aorund an Enermax eg 351p-v rated at 330Watts

3.3v line 30v
5v line 32v
12v line 12v
5vsb line 1.8v

the first one has a P4 12v plug and the enermax doesn't. Would it be
feasable to hack the p4 plug onto the enermax??

No...

Not only that...if you measured your volatges correctly
neither supply is within spec anyway

I think he means amps, not volts in those figures. At least I hope so, or
his PC may not have a lot longer

SteveH

Old February 5th 04, 07:28 PM
eric

"SteveH" wrote in message ...

Yes, sorry, I got carried away and I meant amps. The reason being that
the Enermax is a good psu by reputation and I would like to increase
the amperage on the 12volt line because I do not think that 10 amps is
enough. Comp is acting funny.

eric

Old February 6th 04, 12:27 PM
do_not_spam_me

(eric) wrote in message . com...
I'm running an Intel 2.4ghz on an Asus with a video
card hard drive, cd-rom and network card, no peripherals really.

I am currently using a no-name psu rated at 300 watts which gives

3.3v line 14a 5v line 30a 12v line 10a

then I have laying aorund an Enermax eg 351p-v rated at 330Watts

3.3v line 30a 5v line 32a 12v line 12a

the first one has a P4 12v plug and the enermax doesn't.
Would it be feasable to hack the p4 plug onto the enermax??

I thought i could get 12 volts by using any red wire and
black wire. Howver, the P4 plug on the no-name cpu has 2
yellows and two blacks going into it.

I suggest you forget it because if the Enermax can't put out more than
12A @ +12V, it won't be adequate if the motherboard runs the CPU from
the +12V because it's going to draw 8-10A, leaving little for the disk
drives. But if you want to try the modification anyway...

On standard ATX power supplies, yellow = +12V, red = +5V, and black =
ground. Do not mix these up or you could damage the power supply or
computer. If you know how to solder, it's easy to move the P4
connector to the Enermax by unsoldering it from the first power supply
and soldering it to the circuit board of the Enermax (unplug AC power
cord first) if its circuit board has a few empty holes for extra wires
AND you can tell where each color wire should go. If this can't be
done, it's probably better to just buy or make an adapter cable that
plugs into a hard disk or optical disk drive power connector. An
adapter that plugs into only one disk drive connector shouldn't be
trusted for more than 7 amps, giving a total of about 12-15 amps @
+12V for the motherboard.