Advice needed: AMD or Intel

Old January 19th 04, 07:39 PM
Papa Lazarou

Default Advice needed: AMD or Intel

Hi y'all. It's time for my trusty KT7A & 1.4ghz Athlon to hang up its
boots and I need some advice on my new system.

I've decided on either an AMD based 2800xp with Abit NFS-7 mb, or a more
expensive 2.8ghz P4 on an Abit AI7. Neither will be overclocked as I am
going for as quiet a system as possible so radical cooling is out of the
question. Is there any noise difference between the two systems with
stock heatsink/fans? The heavy duty activities the machine will be used
for are gaming and Mpeg 2 encoding (using Tmpgenc).

At first I was all set to take the AMD route without even considering
the P4, but then it occurred to me that mpeg encoding is basically a
pure number-crunching operation and that for this purpose the 2.1ghz
2800xp will be obviously inferior to the sheer power of a 2.8ghz P4.
Am I correct in thinking this, as I don't mind springing the extra bucks
for the P4 system if it gives me this 33% boost on my encodes?
Any advice appreciated.
Old January 19th 04, 08:47 PM
Martin

"Papa Lazarou" wrote in message
[...]

Also, you will almost certainly be able to overclock the P4 2.8 ghz to over
3ghz without changing the supplied cooler (although using paste would help a
little). That would make no difference to the noise...

Martin

Old January 19th 04, 09:02 PM
ICee

Papa Lazarou wrote:
[...]

Get a XP2500+, which will easily overclock (using a 200 MHz+ FSB) to at
least a 3200+.

Old January 19th 04, 09:55 PM
Phisherman

On 19 Jan 2004 12:39:07 -0600, Papa Lazarou wrote:

[...]

I found that AMD gives you more bang for the buck. Intel is the one
to get if you have the extra money. I seriously doubt you'll see a
33% boost with the P4. The 120mm fans, slightly slowed, are great for
moving air quietly. I wonder why we don't see more 120mm fan
blowholes in cases?!
Old January 19th 04, 10:19 PM
Jon Rose

"ICee" wrote in message
Papa Lazarou wrote:
[...]

Can that be done with the retail fan and heatsink? I have an NF7-S and a
2500+ on its way. Wondering if I need an aftermarket sink and fan to get it
to 200 Mhz FSB).

Jon

Old January 19th 04, 10:30 PM
Dave Hau

[...]

Tmpgenc is able to take advantage of SSE2 and hyperthreading on a P4 system,
which is faster than when it uses 3d-now on an athlon32 system. I don't
know the exact magnitude of the performance improvement but I guess 33% is
possible. So for media encoding, I would definitely recommend a P4 system.

Now if you could get an athlon64 system instead, then it would support SSE2
and would probably give you better performance than a P4 system. But I
guess in terms of price-performance, a P4 2.8c would be a sweet spot for
media encoding.

- Dave

Any advice appreciated.

Old January 20th 04, 01:59 AM
Mark H

Since the 2500's are now locked - you can still easily reach 2200mhz
with the retail heat sink.

--
Mark H --- Frag on !
NF7-S v2.0 Win2k-sp4
Old January 20th 04, 02:26 AM

On 19 Jan 2004 12:39:07 -0600, Papa Lazarou wrote:

When you compare P4 Processors to Athlon Processors I think looking a
game and multimedia benchmarks can be a valuable tool. Try looking at
this benchmark comparing the P4 800 Mhz Bus processors and the Athlon
XP processors. The benchmarks show that the XP2800 is just a little
faster than the P4 2.4C and the P4 2.6C processor. The XP2800 can not
compare to the raw speed of the P4 2.8C, 800Mhz bus speed processors.

However, in reality, if you are into overclocking, the P4 will
probable overclock quite easily. I do not overclock at all, so I do
not even look at that for myself.

The P4 platform on Intel 867/875 chipsets has a couple of advantages
compared to the Nforce2 chipsets. It has a little faster Memory
interface, and usually has more memory slots available (4 vs. 3).

What the benchmarks do show is that they use the fastest Video card.
I think perhaps that not having the fastest video card may have a
distinct difference. My son compared video cards using a Athlon 2400+
processor because he won an ATI 9800 AIW in a raffle. We have been
playing Halo for the PC on it and it works pretty good. So I think it
is the Video card is a little more important than the raw speed of the
processor.

Maybe someone else who has a 800Mhz P4 and an ATI 9800 will have some
thoughts on this.

Old January 20th 04, 04:46 PM
Jon Rose

Forgive my ignorance on current AMD processors. What is locked on the Barton
cores? The multiplier?

Thanks,
Jon