Possible harware error.

Old September 2nd 03, 09:10 PM
Proto

Default Possible harware error.

I an getting shutdown errors after install of Creative SB Audigy board.
System shutsdown with message about hardware or software causing memory dump
or something to that effect. I was hoping someone knew of possible SB
conflict or where to start debugging other than renoving sound card and
buying a different one. I replaced an old PCI 512 which I maybe should have
kept. Would changing POCI slot help perhaps?

TIA
Proto

Old September 3rd 03, 10:15 AM
Proto

"Smoker" wrote in message

"Proto" wrote in message
.net...
I an getting shutdown errors after install of Creative SB Audigy board.
System shutsdown with message about hardware or software causing memory

dump
or something to that effect. I was hoping someone knew of possible SB
conflict or where to start debugging other than renoving sound card and
buying a different one. I replaced an old PCI 512 which I maybe should

have
kept. Would changing POCI slot help perhaps?

The original SB spec years ago called for not sharing an IRQ. That's been
changed to be okay to share, but Creative still doesn't always share well

so
try a different slot. It may not be the card's fault, like if you're using
Win98 you should Disable Fast Shutdown in msconfig. Run DXdiag for

possible
insight.

I quess I am back to square one on this shutingdown problem then. I
haven't had any difficulties with this XP system in the year that I have nad
it but now its worse than any 98 machine. Just freezes right after the
installation of this card so I figured that was it. I have a new 450W PS so
I guess its memory checking time at least. Thanks for the reply

Proto