Display issue

Old August 31st 03, 09:22 AM
Bruin

Default Display issue

The problem is hard to explain. When in 3D games & sometimes in Windows the
display will suddenly screw up badly, changing to a multi-colored pattern of
small squares in a vertical striped array each stripe about 1 1/2 inches
across. The colors are blue, yellow, blue-green. Only
turning the power off completely & powering it up again will make it go away
The last time it happened was in Windows & it did NOT appear to run in the
background, it appeared
to be locked up.

This issue also used to happen to my wife's machine. I was told that it was
a refresh rate problem & bumped the rate on both machines to 85mgz. This
seems to have fixed the issue on my wife's machine. Not on mine. I have
since tried every refresh rate, & a few different detonator drivers & a
windows approved driver. I have also tried different BIOS settings,
disabling fast writes, 2X AGP & back again to no effect.

Anyone ever see this before & know a fix?

basic specs:

AMD XP 1800+
GAINWARD GEFORCE4 TI 4200 64MB
512 Corsair 2400DDR
Soyo Dragon plus VIA266A
SB128 PCI
Antec 400 watt PS
Win98SE

Both my wife & my own monitors are Samsung SyncMaster 900IFTs .

Thanks in advance.
regards
Joe S.

Old September 1st 03, 01:56 AM
kony

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 04:22:34 -0400, "Bruin"
wrote:

The problem is hard to explain. When in 3D games & sometimes in Windows the
display will suddenly screw up badly, changing to a multi-colored pattern of
small squares in a vertical striped array each stripe about 1 1/2 inches
across. The colors are blue, yellow, blue-green. Only
turning the power off completely & powering it up again will make it go away
The last time it happened was in Windows & it did NOT appear to run in the
background, it appeared
to be locked up.

BY those familiar with this phenomenon, it is called the PSOD (pink
screen of death). There are a few capacitors on your card that need
replaced. It is an issue specific to Gainward TI400 cards (though
this problem can surface on any similar card after aging or with
similar capacitor issue/failure, but mostly on a TI4200 card because
one of the main differences in the PCB of the higher TI cards is the
power supply capacitor changes).

This issue also used to happen to my wife's machine.

Is her's also a Gainward TI4200?

I was told that it was
a refresh rate problem & bumped the rate on both machines to 85mgz. This
seems to have fixed the issue on my wife's machine. Not on mine. I have
since tried every refresh rate, & a few different detonator drivers & a
windows approved driver. I have also tried different BIOS settings,
disabling fast writes, 2X AGP & back again to no effect.

Set everything back to how it was when working properly, then once
your card is fixed you'll be able to compare to prior operating
environment.

Anyone ever see this before & know a fix?

At this point I'd kinda have to admit to as much, or I could just
delete everything I've written and go have dinner... hmmmmm..... ;-)

AMD XP 1800+
GAINWARD GEFORCE4 TI 4200 64MB
512 Corsair 2400DDR
Soyo Dragon plus VIA266A
SB128 PCI
Antec 400 watt PS
Win98SE

Both my wife & my own monitors are Samsung SyncMaster 900IFTs .

See the following thread. Make a pot of coffee as it's a LONG read,
or just skip to the end and go backwards. Or I can just give you the
summary: RMA to the card to Gainward if you haven't modified it, @
Gainward USA RMA: 800-539-2273

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread....hreadid=166031

Dave

Old September 1st 03, 02:32 AM
Bruin

wrote:

[...]

DAMN

All this time struggling with this issue. I don't know how I missed all
the info out there on this issue. Dave, you hit the nail on the head.
Yes, my wife's is an identical video card. I am going to call Gainward USA
on Tues after the holiday. I don't know if they are going to help me or
not, seems there are mixed reviews on the service for this issue.

Huge problem is having to RMA...
I need replacement cards asap. We can't exactly go without computers. I
will have to buy TWO cards while they are being RMA'd. Then I am going to
have 2 ti400s that I got no use for. =/
Guess if Gainward actually comes thru with replacements I will have 2
back-up video cards.

Not happy about this at all.... I posted on this issue over a year ago &
tried all the fixes suggested... & proceeded to live with it for this whole
time. Seems that the crash never occurred playing Everquest so my wife & I
just lived with the problem. Playing EQ takes ALOT of time... so I never
kept up on all the hardware forums & this issue slipped by me.

Thanks for the reply.