Heat Sink and I/O voltage?

Old August 24th 03, 05:03 AM
ZITBoy

Default Heat Sink and I/O voltage?

I want to know if there is a heatsink with my AMD K6 2 ( 500 Mhz) cpu? The
guy who replaced my motherboard isnt sure himself!! I think he probably
doesnt know what a heatsink is. The problem is the hardware monitor in my
BIOS is giving temps upto 65 Celcius. I dont use my pc for more than an hour
for that reason. Is there a simple way to find out just by looking if there
is a heatsink in there. I know its simple but i've never removed the
processor. My motherboard chipset is Sis 530 with socket 7 i guess.
Also the sis hardware monitor software I installed is telling my that I/O
voltage is too high (5.87 V)
It also tells me after regular intervals that either I dont have a fan or
its speed is too low (which is not correct so I dont trust it much ) However
the cpu temp indicated is different from BIOS. Its in the range of 40 to 50
C which is less then the BIOS. So who is right and what should I do.
I dont notice any problems though.

Old August 24th 03, 04:18 PM
w_tom

Read this article. Then consider whether you need ask the
question again:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/20010917/index.html

However max temperature for a K6-2 500 Mhz, if I have the
right processor, is 70 degree C. That means when room
temperature rises 15 degree C (which remains normal operating
temperature for any computer), then your processor has
exceeded temperature.

Demonstrated by your example is technical abilities of
people who can replace motherboards. They don't even know
what a heatsink is, let alone know how to measure a voltage.
You are right to worry about that temperature and the basic
knowledge of your motherboard installer.

As for what is being measured - I believe max I/O voltage
for that processor is 3.6 volts. But then motherboard
monitors are not valid for measuring voltages - only for
monitoring for change. First you must 'calibrate' that
motherboard monitor with a 3.5 digit multimeter or
equivalent. If 5.87 really is the motherboard +5 volts (not
I/O voltage of processor), and if that reading is correct,
then you also have a power supply problem.