New System Problems

Old May 13th 04, 09:10 PM
Chris Aubrey

Default New System Problems

I recently assembled a new PC with the following specs

-P4 3.4 Ghz 800 Mhz Processor
-Intel D865 PERL Motherboard
-512 Mb of PC 3200 (4)
-Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro PCI Sound Card
-GeForce FX5950 Ultra 256 MB AGP video Card
-120Gb Serial ATA Hard Drive
-450 Watt power supply

The machine will not run with the full 2 gig of memory installed. PC
boots, Windows loads and then immediately reboots. If I only run with
2 of the DIMMS installed the PC will run fine, except when I run
graphics intensive games. If I load Far Cry or Painkiller, or just
about any other graphics heavy game, it will run for about 5 to 10 min
then just drop me back to the desktop. The PC doesn't lock or hang,
the game just shuts off. Im at a total loss as to the reason. I have
run the freeware Microsoft memory test against all of the DIMMS but
continually get differing results. Do you think this is a bad board
or did I just get 4 bad DIMMS?? Thanks is advance for the help.
Old May 14th 04, 01:45 PM
Alex Johnson

Chris Aubrey wrote:
[...]

This sounds like a windows problem but you have managed to tell us
everything about your computer except the details about what windows you
have set up.

Alex
--
My words are my own. They represent no other; they belong to no other.
Don't read anything into them or you may be required to compensate me

Old May 14th 04, 09:34 PM
Bob Bailin

"Chris Aubrey" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Are the 4 DIMMs absolutely identical? Check out www.memtest86.com
for a free, thorough, non-OS specific memory tester.

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp
for debugging options you can add to the boot.ini file to determine where in the
boot process it fails.