Future Intel Xeons to be designed in India

Old May 3rd 04, 07:31 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Future Intel Xeons to be designed in India

They are talking about a chip coming out in 2007-2008. It will be designed
in Bangalore India. It's current Pentium-M mobile chip was designed in
Isreal. Start of a new trend for Intel?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...501121856.html

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just reply to this email address ;-)

Old May 3rd 04, 12:23 PM
Jon

Intel does research all over the world, you never know,
I live down the street from one of the two network research
centers, it has 7000 + people in there all day long,

One day I gave it a go to walk in there looking for a pro 100 +
network card, the two locks gates, just past the gaurd tower
where my first lesson, nest was the next set of locked doors & the two armed
garuds

news

Old May 3rd 04, 07:37 PM
Mike Smith

Yousuf Khan wrote:

They are talking about a chip coming out in 2007-2008. It will be designed
in Bangalore India. It's current Pentium-M mobile chip was designed in
Isreal. Start of a new trend for Intel?

Well, having design facilities in Israel is nothing new. IBM,
Microsoft, and Intel have all had facilities there for quite some time.
Remember back when IBM released that version of OS/2 that could run
your existing installed copy of Windows instead of using Win-OS/2? That
was developed in Haifa, IIRC.

--
Mike Smith

Old May 4th 04, 05:14 AM
Hugo Drax

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
news
They are talking about a chip coming out in 2007-2008. It will be designed
in Bangalore India. It's current Pentium-M mobile chip was designed in
Isreal. Start of a new trend for Intel?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...501121856.html

Yousuf Khan

--

Yes since it allows much higher margins in future products when R&D costs
can be dropped. A U.S EE for intel probably makes 80K and you can hire an

I would say 40-50 years from now all farming,manufacturing,development and
buisness processing (Accounting etc...) will be sent overseas, since its
cheaper and provides the companies much higher margins on the end product.

Old May 4th 04, 05:16 AM
Hugo Drax

"Mike Smith" wrote in message
Yousuf Khan wrote:

They are talking about a chip coming out in 2007-2008. It will be

designed
in Bangalore India. It's current Pentium-M mobile chip was designed in
Isreal. Start of a new trend for Intel?

Well, having design facilities in Israel is nothing new. IBM,
Microsoft, and Intel have all had facilities there for quite some time.
Remember back when IBM released that version of OS/2 that could run
your existing installed copy of Windows instead of using Win-OS/2? That
was developed in Haifa, IIRC.

--
Mike Smith

True but I think eventually all development/design will go overseas. it
makes no sense to pay 16 times more for US labor when overseas is 1/16th
cheaper and will afford Intel,IBM etc.. a nice margin on end product.

Old May 4th 04, 07:51 AM
Ghostrider

Hugo Drax wrote:

snipped

I would say 40-50 years from now all farming,manufacturing,development and
buisness processing (Accounting etc...) will be sent overseas, since its
cheaper and provides the companies much higher margins on the end product.

In this world of high-speed internet connections, business
operations along with applied science research and development
have already moved overseas. While price is one factor, one
cannot forget that education overseas still emphasizes the
skills that are essential to survival, viz., the 3 R's.

Old May 4th 04, 08:07 AM
Yousuf Khan

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message
Yes since it allows much higher margins in future products when R&D costs
can be dropped. A U.S EE for intel probably makes 80K and you can hire an
Indian EE for about 5K so for the price of 1 US EE you get 16 Indians

living
in a tin shack and you can have them work Shifts so productivity never

stops
24/7.

You'd be surprised how luxuriously you can live outside the US for a tenth
of the salary in the US. I think the US cost of living is pretty much out of
sync with the rest of the world.

Yousuf Khan

Old May 4th 04, 09:51 AM
Aloke Prasad

"Yousuf Khan" wrote in message
et.cable.rogers.com...
"Hugo Drax" wrote in message
Yes since it allows much higher margins in future products when R&D

costs
can be dropped. A U.S EE for intel probably makes 80K and you can hire

an
Indian EE for about 5K so for the price of 1 US EE you get 16 Indians

living
in a tin shack and you can have them work Shifts so productivity never

stops
24/7.

You'd be surprised how luxuriously you can live outside the US for a tenth
of the salary in the US. I think the US cost of living is pretty much out

of
sync with the rest of the world.

I was about to respond:

Tin shack !! More like a luxurious air conditioned bungalow, company
provided car, with servants doing all the cooking, cleaning, gardening etc
etc.
--
Aloke
----

Old May 4th 04, 11:44 AM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring
able.rogers.com, from
the wonderful person Yousuf Khan
said

Old May 4th 04, 11:47 AM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

"Hugo Drax" wrote in message
Yes since it allows much higher margins in future products when R&D costs
can be dropped. A U.S EE for intel probably makes 80K and you can hire an
Indian EE for about 5K so for the price of 1 US EE you get 16 Indians

living
in a tin shack and you can have them work Shifts so productivity never

stops
24/7.

You'd be surprised how luxuriously you can live outside the US for a tenth
of the salary in the US. I think the US cost of living is pretty much out of
sync with the rest of the world.

That's not completely unrelated to labour costs .. when everyone from a
builder to a policeman is earning 1/10th the USA rate, the cost of
living is bound to be rather lower.

However salaries in India have floated up pretty dramatically these last
10-15 years, and will continue to do so (at least for the educated folks
... and educated Indians are very educated indeed .. which other country
teaches '19 times table' in schools? Heck, which other country does most
of its teaching in what is, to 99% of the pupils, a second language?
8.)

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can