troubleshootting question about keyboard

Old March 29th 18, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Default troubleshootting question about keyboard

I have a MS ergonomic keyboard (PS/2) I've been using for quite a few
years now. Until a few days ago, it worked as expected. However, now
the OS (Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit) does not recognize it. I have not changed
my hardware nor have I added/removed any software. My USB mouse works.

When I enter BIOS during the boot up procedures, the keyboard works. I
can move around BIOS. I searched my BIOS settings looking for legacy
devices and did not find anything.

Once my OS starts, the keyboard is not seen. For example, I've tried
typing, function keys, using Ctrl+, and so on. Nothing happens.

What I've done so far:
1. use Device Manager to remove and then re-install the driver
2. unplugged the keyboard, turned off the pc, booted up, shut down,
plug the keyboard back in and boot up
3. scavenge a PS/2 keyboard from another computer to see if that
would work. It did not.

Is the problem hardware related? If so, the mobo or the keyboard?

I've thought about buying a PS/2 to USB adapter to use for the
keyboard, but I don't know if that would work. I'd like to keep using
the existing keyboard (the ergonomic design does make a difference to
me) if the problem is with the PS/2 connector on the mobo. But if the
pc recognizes the keyboard (when I'm in BIOS), it doesn't seem like
it's the mobo PS/2 connector.

FWIW, I've connected a wireless keyboard from my other pc till I get
this problem fixed.

Thanks,

John
Old March 29th 18, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

On 3/28/2018 11:23 PM, Yes wrote:
[...]

Visit a local thrift shop and purchase an old PS/2 keyboard to test
with. In my neighborhood used keyboards can be had from 2.99 on up at
the two thrift shops that I visit, Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill.
If it works properly then it is time to look into your problem keyboard.
It could be something as simple as a bent pin on the plug to broken
connection where the wire goes into the plug to actual wiring problems
in the keyboard.

Since you are working with a USB wireless keyboard for now if the
replacement keyboard works from a thrift shop I would personally try to
swap keyboard cables. A little soldering or if you are extremely lucky
a matching plug at the keyboard end and you might be back in business.
If swapping the keyboard cable does not fix things it sounds like time
to visit Ebay and see if you can find the same keyboard on the cheap or
else purchase something modern in the same format.
Old March 29th 18, 06:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

GlowingBlueMist wrote:

On 3/28/2018 11:23 PM, Yes wrote:
[...]

I already tried another PS/2 keyboard and had the same results as with
the MS keyboard.

I'll probably end up buying a new USB wired keyboard to replace my
existing PS/2 k/b. Just want to cover the bases before going that
route.

Reading the reviews of some PS/2 to USB adapters at newegg was rather
interesting. I discovered that not all adapters will work with any k/b
- something about the circuitry and OS.

Thanks,

John
Old March 29th 18, 07:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Yes wrote:
GlowingBlueMist wrote:

On 3/28/2018 11:23 PM, Yes wrote:
[...]

Check out your Filter keys or Sticky keys settings.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-498ab5f05496

In some cases, you might have to turn it on, then turn it off
again, in the settings, to get it to "take".

It's possible an update turned it on.

*******

You could try booting an alternate OS, or try
entering the BIOS with the keyboard, to check
that it's not actually the keyboard that's blown.

Paul
Old March 29th 18, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Yes wrote:

I have a MS ergonomic keyboard (PS/2) I've been using for quite a few
years now. Until a few days ago, it worked as expected. However, now
the OS (Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit) does not recognize it. I have not changed
my hardware nor have I added/removed any software. My USB mouse works.

How is Windows Update configured for updates? Automatic or or notify
only?

You've been using the keyboard for years. You did not say how long you
have been using that keyboard with Windows 8.1 x64.

When I enter BIOS during the boot up procedures, the keyboard works. I
can move around BIOS. I searched my BIOS settings looking for legacy
devices and did not find anything.

Can you hit F8 *before* the OS loads to have the OS go into its recovery
boot menu?

Once my OS starts, the keyboard is not seen. For example, I've tried
typing, function keys, using Ctrl+, and so on. Nothing happens.

What happens if you use the boot menu to go into Window's safe mode?

What I've done so far:
1. use Device Manager to remove and then re-install the driver
2. unplugged the keyboard, turned off the pc, booted up, shut down,
plug the keyboard back in and boot up
3. scavenge a PS/2 keyboard from another computer to see if that
would work. It did not.

Is the problem hardware related? If so, the mobo or the keyboard?

Since the mouse still works and you can still get into Device Manager,
have you tried uninstalling the old PS/2 device and running a new
hardware scan to redetect the PS/2 mouse and reinstall the driver (well,
the driver or INF file is still there so "installing" just adds the .inf
defintion for the "new" device).

I don't think "remove" is the same as "uninstall" in Device Manager. In
Windows 7, there is no "remove" option when right-clicking on a device,
just "uninstall". Did your "remove" mean "uninstall"?

After uninstalling the device (which doesn't remove the driver, just the
definition of the device), did you either perform a rescan (to detect
new hardware) or reboot Windows?

Since you removed/uninstalled the PS/2 pointing device in Device Manager
means you could see it. When it reappears after uninstalling and
scanning for new hardware, whose driver is listed for that device? Did
you install any Microsoft-specific software for that keyboard, like
Intellipoint, Setpoint, or Mouse and Keyboard Center, or something else?
Get rid (uninstall) the ancilliary software that came with the keyboard
as it is not required for basic functionality, only to add more
features, like macros to assign to function keys or special buttons.
You want to use the PS/2 driver (well, INF file) that comes with Windows
to first see that the keyboard works as a basic PS/2 keyboard, not with
a bunch of glitz atop of PS/2 functionality.

From what I see at:

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...hspecs-connect

and for Windows 8.1 x64, the "Mouse and Keyboard Center" (MKC)
ancilliary software package is at version 3.2. Is that what you have?
If not, first revert to just a basic PS/2 device using the embedded
driver in Windows and after that works then install 3.2 of the MKC
software (if you really need it). You don't need that software to get
the keyboard to function as a PS/2 device.

The device that I found is for the USB ergonomic 4000 keyboard. It's
the only ergonomic model they currently list on their site. I found an
circa 2007 model being sold online that says it supports USB and PS/2
(it has the inbuilt detect and hardware protocol circuitry). You didn't
give a model number for yours.

I've thought about buying a PS/2 to USB adapter to use for the
keyboard, but I don't know if that would work. I'd like to keep using
the existing keyboard (the ergonomic design does make a difference to
me) if the problem is with the PS/2 connector on the mobo. But if the
pc recognizes the keyboard (when I'm in BIOS), it doesn't seem like
it's the mobo PS/2 connector.

USB to PS/2 or (PS/2 to USB) requires a hardware protocol conversion.
Either the logic must be built into the keyboard (it says it supports
both PS/2 and USB) to use a passive adapter dongle or the dongle must be
an *active* converter. There is no simple rewiring of the cable to get
the USB protocol to convert to the PS/2 protocol. Passive dongles do
not perform hardware protocol conversion. Easiest is to get a USB+PS2
keyboard that already detects the hardware protocol to select which
logic it uses from the keyboard's PCB.
Old March 29th 18, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 04:23:55 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

Is the problem hardware related? If so, the mobo or the keyboard?

I've thought about buying a PS/2 to USB adapter to use for the
keyboard, but I don't know if that would work. I'd like to keep using
the existing keyboard (the ergonomic design does make a difference to
me) if the problem is with the PS/2 connector on the mobo. But if the
pc recognizes the keyboard (when I'm in BIOS), it doesn't seem like
it's the mobo PS/2 connector.

FWIW, I've connected a wireless keyboard from my other pc till I get
this problem fixed.

PS/2 is too dated for today's USB connections. They may work,
depending, although not in the magnitude of keyboards with a USB
expectancy;- obviously, MS didn't account that contingency in your
case, so far as the OS update. The adaptor sounds like a good idea
for a fix, although you've already run into references that it may
not. Not something I'd buy, or at least expect priced considerately
unless directly from the Chinese market. Ebay item for a buck, and
some time for the international shipping. Or buy it locally for a $10
markup and a chance to see if it actually works.

I bought a "real keyboard" not long ago: Chinese make but genuine
mechanical switches with individual keys illuminated from a 7-row LED
color layout. Quite the beauty so far, attractive in an unlit room
and as well useful in natural lighting. It's all the latest and
difficult to procure from a solid deal, such as only Amazon offers.
There are jerk-around Chinese merchants on Ebay for this type of item:
You want this keyboard in the AT-style with 101 keys and not the
smaller 89-key layout that's cramped to type on.

Everything about a keyboard practically imaginable for $20, which is
the mechanical-keyswitch precept. I paid more, although a week or two
ago I saw Amazon selling mine for the $20 price on a special sale.
Such sales can roll-over or be depleted quickly, so you have to
monitor them regularly from the bargain-deal websites and act quickly.

I wouldn't touch a Microsoft keyboard, even with your barge-pole. Then
again I paid the $150 for my first mechanical keyboard. Neither would
a good many other people;- mechanicals are like that: it's about
precision in typing nothing less can quite match. Quite amazing,
actually, that for $20 that degree discernment is now available for a
mass commodity item.
Old March 29th 18, 10:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Yes wrote:
GlowingBlueMist wrote:

On 3/28/2018 11:23 PM, Yes wrote:
[...]

As noted, the k/b works when I'm in BIOS. I'll have to check if it
works if I boot up in another OS.

John
Old March 29th 18, 11:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

VanguardLH wrote:

Yes wrote:

[...]

From what I see at:

[...]

I have windows update configured to notify me of updates and install
them manually.

I've been using the k/b so long that I don't remember exactly When I
bought it. I want to say 5 years or so; at least 2013, maybe older.
IIRC, I used the Windows drivers loaded when I installed the OS and
used the k/b as is with no additional k/b drivers having to be
installed. The labeling on the back simply says "Microsoft Natural
Keyboard Elite".

The mouse is USB wired. No special driver was installed, so I assume
it, like the k/b, is using the drivers that came with Win 8.1 when I
installed the OS.

I haven't tried recovery mode. After the first few days when I
originally installed the OS, I've been fortunate not to have problems
crop up that I needed to recovery mode (knock on wood now). That would
have been the first year after MC released Win 8.1.

In Device Manager, I used the uninstall option to 'remove' the driver.
Then I had DM scan for new hardware. DM did not detect the k/b. I am
using "show hidden devices".

I've pretty much decided I'll buy a new USB k/b. Troubleshooting is
interesting, but given that it may be a hit and miss thing with an
adapter, I'm almost at the point of diminishing returns. I'll try
Paul's suggestion to boot into a different OS (WinXP)and see what
happens then.

John

Old March 29th 18, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yes[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm a pedestrian these days, so not very convenient to get to those
type places anymore. Until I started having this problem with the k/b,
I knew in the back of my mind that PS/2 was disappearing and USB taking
over but didn't know that it involved the circuits in the k/b. I had
assumed that it'd just be a simple task to buy the PS/2 USB adapter.
Wrong. The adapters I saw for sale on newegg are around $7 to $8
including shipping and handling. The price of a k/b at newegg starts
as low as $14. It'll be far easier and faster to just replace the k/b.

Unlike your experience with MS, I've had very good performance with the
k/b I had been using. The labeling on the back describes it as
"Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite". It's pretty dingy now from use, at
least 5 years worth if not longer. I bought it based on its price at
the time and because I felt physically OK typing with it. I didn't
need to install any special drivers with it. On the other hand, I use
its basic features and haven't customized it by re-assigning the keys
or using macro keystrokes on it. Very mundane, I know.

The temporary k/b I'm using at the moment is by Logitech. It's plain,
and its size and shape (rectangular, not ergonomic) throw me off. It
feels sturdy, but it's not a permanent solution because I 'borrowed' it
from the pc in my living room and have to physically move it between
the rooms when I use the other pc. If I were to use it permanently,
then I'd still have to buy a k/b.

John
Old March 30th 18, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2018 22:57:30 -0000 (UTC), "Yes"
wrote:

[...]

Yes, I've the indispensable Logitechs, cornerstones among computer
names, including a Logitech RF model for the coffee table that's very
friendly and budget-minded for its older Windows drivers;- nor will,
nothing I've yet to run into, functionally replace the series of
Logitech's TrackBall I've owned, for under $30, until equipment with a
longer switch-life occurs. I've also equipped a rig I built for
someone with a MS keyboard, although as much a matter of happenstance,
it being satisfactory assessment of choice for his first impression of
a budget keyboard.

I see. Call Amazon customer service and find someone with the time
for you to get down on your knees;- if the case, promise them you'll
lick a stamp and mail in the money, if they'll but kindly save you a
mechanical keyboard purchase agreement. Not all Amazon customer
service is based from Manila or Pakistan, and a occasional American
operative may show. Assuming, of course, you have yet to try a
mechanical keyboard for a "tactile" switch; experience- an experience,
to be assured, that is nothing short of superb.

The model I've listed at the end of this post I know, although there
are many other brands no doubt if at all different, perhaps inasmuch
for a manufacture logo. "Blues and blacks" and the occasional
"browns" are the Chinese appropriation to tactility ratings: a
measurable amount of finger-force precisely to produce a desired
clack-and-click, to reinforce the confidence of feedback from today's
touch-typists.

Also on Ebay, although Singapore and China mainland distributors, not
in all instances to be trusted for other than a delayed arbitration
complaint over the temporarily imposition of Shanghai'd and
inaccessible funds. Amazon largely operates from comparatively
streamlined virtues.

I cannot speak for this model's longevity, least to mention strikingly
ornate LEDs, underlying, effectively, an everlasting mechanical design
precept;- which my last mechanical has delivered, lasting well over a
decade, notwithstanding still being perfectly functional;- functional
I ought qualify as somewhat an esthetic appraisal to being a white
keyboard, which invariably turns reminiscent of earthier colors of
****, pitched-up from the depths of a pig-sty.

As this is my particular model, but of course deepest pitch-black, I
see it coincidently has dropped of late in price placement. You'll
also find a limited light-display modes for this basic class of
imported mechanical keyboard adequately animated on YouTube.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Ke.../dp/B071J2VJB9

Keyboard question John Smith[_24_] Homebuilt PC's 9 January 18th 14 01:58 PM
Question USB keyboard Nate C. Homebuilt PC's 5 February 26th 04 03:44 AM
USB keyboard question Arget General 5 November 17th 03 04:10 AM
Keyboard question metronid Packard Bell Computers 6 September 14th 03 11:07 PM
Keyboard question Pete Stockdale Homebuilt PC's 3 July 24th 03 10:48 PM