What can be used to boot an older computer?

Old November 3rd 17, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default What can be used to boot an older computer?

I still rebuild, upgrade and use older computers. To get things started
on them, you need some sort of boot device. When you have the basic
hardware, and want to install a hard drive, you first need to boot the
machine to setup the hard drive. In the old days, you're stick a
bootable DOS disk in the floppy drive, boot the puter and then run FDISK
and next FORMAT the hard drive.

I still run Win98se on several computers. Win98 can be installed from
floppies too. But lets say there is no floppy drive. How do you boot
them? If I'm not mistaken, you cant boot from a CD, because the CD cant
be accessed without the computer being booted from DOS and running the
driver to make the CD drive usable. And none of them old machines had
the bios to make them boot from a USB flash drive.

This sort of tells me that you MUST have a floppy drive to boot those
old machines.

But, are there other ways? I'm looking for ideas and suggestions for how
to boot them *if* other methods do exist.....

I just ran into this problem, because I wanted to replace my C: drive on
an old machine running Win98. (with a bigger hard drive). All seemed
fine, till I found out that my floppy drive had died. Using the existing
hard drive, I was able to partition and format the new hard drive, but I
was unable ot make it bootable. I finally just quit doing this HDD
change until I was able to obtain a new floppy drive on ebay. Once I got
that, I was back in business. (I have all the setup files for Win98 on a
my present HDD, so I have never needed to install it from floppies in
years. But now I face the installation of the new HDD.

Once I boot from a floppy, if I copy all the install files to the new
HDD (from the old one), will I be able to install Win98 from those files
on the new HDD?

-OR-
I can plug in my slave drive, and have the Win98 install files on that
slave drive....

Although this old computer has USB 1.1, I have never seen any way to
access the USB from a Dos boot.

Thanks for all advice!

Old November 3rd 17, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 15:44:17 -0600, wrote:

I finally just quit doing this HDD
change until I was able to obtain a new floppy drive on ebay. Once I got
that, I was back in business.

Ebay saves the day, which is encouraging. Windows 98 was better than
95. Seems there were also three iterations, 98 and 98SE, although I
can't recall a third.

That was also close to MBs on ISA architecture. Anything newer, apart
from BIOS issues with a floppy install, and it's still an issue as
machine timing speeds will cause OS corruption. I do believe, though,
that it can be installed from a CD, HD or USB contingent storage
capacity sufficient for holding the series of floppy volumes.

Volume in drive is _DRV
Volume Serial Number is

contents of !go.bat
setup /ie /is /iv /t:d:\temp

Directory of :\win98

08/02/2015 02:57 PM DIR ols this directory 37M
08/02/2015 02:57 PM DIR tour ... 17M
04/02/2003 07:33 AM 232 !GO.BAT
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 168,960 BASE4.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 BASE5.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 191,747 BASE6.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 274,460 CATALOG3.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 14,451 chl99.cab
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 496 deltemp.com
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 85,050 dossetup.bin
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,462,272 DRIVER11.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER12.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER13.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER14.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER15.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER16.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER17.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER18.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 DRIVER19.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,796,408 DRIVER20.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 93,242 extract.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 49,575 FORMAT.COM
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 6,594 intl.txt
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 686,042 mini.cab
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 339,473 NET10.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,610,240 NET7.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 NET8.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 NET9.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 3,270 OEMSETUP.BIN
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 78,720 OEMSETUP.EXE
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,331,200 PRECOPY1.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,335,443 PRECOPY2.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 920 save32.com
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 143,818 scandisk.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 995 scandisk.pif
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 4,438 scanprog.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 165,502 scanreg.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 5,712 setup.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 52,294 setup.txt
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 439,824 setup0.wav
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 14,924 setup1.wav
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 14,992 setup2.wav
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 45,379 smartdrv.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 229,680 suback.bin
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,472 suhelper.bin
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 168,096 w98setup.bin
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 537 wb16off.exe
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 5,632 WIN98_21.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,802,240 WIN98_22.CAB
....cabs continue in number sequentailly until...
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,056,537 WIN98_74.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 1,708,985 WIN98_OL.CAB
04/23/1999 11:22 PM 14,144 xmsmmgr.exe
11/03/2017 05:56 PM 0 out.txt
102 File(s) 127,142,876 bytes
Old November 3rd 17, 10:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 18:03:35 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

contents of !go.bat

98SE, I'll hazard.
Old January 29th 18, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Diesel[_2_]

Fri, 03 Nov 2017
21:44:17 GMT in alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt, wrote:

[...]

I've ran into the same issue as you have. I solved it by doing the
following.

I created a bootable floppy disk, then imaged it into a file. I
created a bootable cd-rom using the floppy created image as the boot
code/loader. Also included on the cdrom was everything necessary to
install Windows98second edition. Along with additional software the
company I worked for, including myself, found useful.

If you're interested in a copy of the floppy img or an iso of a
bootable cdrom outright as I described above, let me know and we'll
go from there.

I just ran into this problem, because I wanted to replace my C:
drive on an old machine running Win98. (with a bigger hard drive).
All seemed fine, till I found out that my floppy drive had died.
Using the existing hard drive, I was able to partition and format
the new hard drive, but I was unable ot make it bootable. I
finally just quit doing this HDD change until I was able to obtain
a new floppy drive on ebay. Once I got that, I was back in
business. (I have all the setup files for Win98 on a my present
HDD, so I have never needed to install it from floppies in years.
But now I face the installation of the new HDD.

Once I boot from a floppy, if I copy all the install files to the
new HDD (from the old one), will I be able to install Win98 from
those files on the new HDD?

The cdrom image I have contains the setup and cab files for win98se.
You can copy the folder to a freshly created one on the new HDD,
enter said folder and run setup from there. Or, you can run it from
the cdrom once you boot the machine with the cdrom.

-OR-
I can plug in my slave drive, and have the Win98 install files on
that slave drive....

Although this old computer has USB 1.1, I have never seen any way
to access the USB from a Dos boot.

I've only done that specific task a few times, and, I don't know if I
have any usable image or notes for doing it, but, I'll look around.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit he