A quick look at Bulldozer thread scheduling

Old December 5th 11, 05:35 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default A quick look at Bulldozer thread scheduling

On 03/12/2011 8:18 AM, Orson Cart wrote:
Yousuf wrote:

No, but I'm also not in the market for any sort of aftermarket cooling

system either. I figure by the time I'm ready to go there, I'll be
able
to really research it. Both AMD and Intel are now offering water-cooling

on their next-gen processors. Also I got a pretty decent full-tower

case, just upgraded last year, which already has holes drilled in
for
water-cooling pipes.

What took them so long? I recall years ago a Pentium D 3.4 GHz, that was amazingly
rated at 95 W TDP. Yet the Intel cooler was maximum RPM within 90 seconds of
booting. Surely they needed better cooling way back then.

I think they were able to hang onto the traditional cooling systems
longer with the advance of internal CPU thermal control circuitry. The
processors wouldn't get to high temperatures until they were really
pushed for power.

Yousuf Khan