Can't boot from DVD

Old March 7th 11, 12:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

Default Can't boot from DVD

Hi. Have I got some kind of motherboard virus or something. I do have
kaspersky. I can't get my PC to boot of either of my DVD drives. I
have disconnected one and tried that. They do work and one is brand
new. Auto insert works fine. Can't remember last time I needed it.

Thanks Desmond.
Old March 7th 11, 03:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:
Hi. Have I got some kind of motherboard virus or something. I do have
kaspersky. I can't get my PC to boot of either of my DVD drives. I
have disconnected one and tried that. They do work and one is brand
new. Auto insert works fine. Can't remember last time I needed it.

Thanks Desmond.

You might need to go into the motherboard BIOS settings and place one of
the DVD's as the first boot device in the boot order list, ahead of any
hard drive(s).

On some BIOS removing the hard drive from the BIOS list of boot devices
entirely can force the motherboard to look for other devices to boot
from, like the DVD.
Old March 7th 11, 04:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

On Mar 7, 3:49*pm, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

Hi. Have I got some kind of motherboard virus or something. I do have
kaspersky. I can't get my PC to boot of either of my DVD drives. I
have disconnected one and tried that. They do work and one is brand
new. Auto insert works fine. Can't remember last time I needed it.

Thanks Desmond.

You might need to go into the motherboard BIOS settings and place one of
the DVD's as the first boot device in the boot order list, ahead of any
hard drive(s).

On some BIOS removing the hard drive from the BIOS list of boot devices
entirely can force the motherboard to look for other devices to boot
from, like the DVD.

I have built this PC myself. I have got in the bios
Quick boot enabled

Boot sequence SATA DVD
Floppy HDD

I had an IDE and a SATA DVD. I switched them around. Now I only have
the SATA.
The sequence is correct. I just don't understand this.

Old March 7th 11, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:
Hi. Have I got some kind of motherboard virus or something. I do have
kaspersky. I can't get my PC to boot of either of my DVD drives. I
have disconnected one and tried that. They do work and one is brand
new. Auto insert works fine. Can't remember last time I needed it.

Thanks Desmond.

You might need to go into the motherboard BIOS settings and place one of
the DVD's as the first boot device in the boot order list, ahead of any
hard drive(s).

On some BIOS removing the hard drive from the BIOS list of boot devices
entirely can force the motherboard to look for other devices to boot
from, like the DVD.

How about testing with only the DVD drives connected ? Maybe the BIOS
is doing something with the hard drive during POST, which allows
the virus to do it's thing.

If that works, then perhaps the hard drive can be placed in a USB enclosure,
and the USB enclosure plugged in a second after the DVD starts to boot.
For example, you could try that with the Gentoo based Kav 10 disc. This
can also be transferred to a USB stick.

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208282163

Paul
Old March 7th 11, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
fwibbler

wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

[...]

Do you have the SATA controllers set to IDE or Standard mode?
It probably won't Boot if it is set to RAID or AHCI mode.
Cheers!

--
Graham
Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
Old March 7th 11, 05:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

[...]

Main board is an Asus M2V MX SE

Don’t have raid set. Don’t know what “Do you have the SATA controllers
set to IDE or Standard mode?” means
Could this be a virus as my detector didn’t pull up anything? Don’t
think it could be a virus. Could it do something like this?

How about testing with only the DVD drives connected? Maybe the BIOS
is doing something with the hard drive during POST, which allows
the virus to do it's thing.

Maybe this is the solution. Could this happen? I see the LED flashing
at boot up then stopping.
Old March 7th 11, 06:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

On Mar 7, 5:31*pm, Des wrote:

wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

[...]

No things are getting SILLY. As you suggested, I disconnected all but
the DVD. PC booted up with Norton Ghost 12 (The reason for all of
this). Connecting the DVD back. it ignored the DVD. What next ???
Old March 7th 11, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Des

On Mar 7, 6:01*pm, Des wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:31*pm, Des wrote:

wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

[...]

Sorry meant
Connecting the HDD back. it ignored the DVD.
Old March 7th 11, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

On 3/7/2011 12:03 PM, Des wrote:
On Mar 7, 6:01 pm, wrote:
On Mar 7, 5:31 pm, wrote:

On Mar 7, 5:07 pm,

On Mar 7, 3:49 pm,
wrote:
On 3/7/2011 6:06 AM, Des wrote:

[...]

Take the hard drive completely out of the boot list until after you have
restored things using the DVD. Not having it in the boot list will not
keep the computer from allowing the programs loaded from the DVD from
finding it or reloading to it.

After things are reloaded, then add the hard drive back into the boot list.
Old March 7th 11, 06:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Des wrote:

Sorry meant
Connecting the HDD back. it ignored the DVD.

Can you connect the HDD to a USB adapter ?

Can you plug in the HDD, *after* the DVD starts to boot,
using the USB adapter. If you get the timing right, perhaps the
software on the DVD, will "see" the hard drive.

If the hard drive was SATA, you could also consider an
ESATA approach, as that support hot plugging of drives.
So that would be an alternative, if the thing you're attempting
to do, doesn't like the drive when USB connected.

ESATA enclosure, with it's own SATA to ESATA plate, ESATA cable, power
adapter and so on. Set the BIOS for the SATA port to AHCI perhaps.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-145-167-S04?$S640W$

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/17-145-167-S05?$S640W$

In other words, find a way to connect the hard drive, after the
DVD has started to boot...

Paul