AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

Old October 7th 10, 09:20 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Bill Davidsen

Default AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:58:35 -0400, Bill wrote:

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf

wrote:

On 10-09-16 11:41 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.

Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes
not even
that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
brands to sell instead.

I hear that Ford wants to close 500 dealerships. I would suspect they are
Mercury dealers.

Mercury dealerships are also Lincoln dealerships. Yes, Ford has wanted to
close many of them for decades. One I know of sell one car a year. Several
sell single digits a month. That isn't very profitable for Ford.

It has to be more profitable than selling none.

The Dodge and Chevrolet dealers near me were closed. The nearest dealers are now
about 45 minutes away from me, which is a PITA for getting factory authorized
service, or even looking at the car to buy. Anyone living in the nearby area,
maybe 3k-4k people, is a LOT less likely to buy those brands. Subaru and Suzuki
have dealers in 15 minutes, Ford has two within 15-20 minutes, I can't imagine
that Dodge and Chevrolet are selling well, particularly since the Chevrolet
dealer was a huge multi-acre setup with large showroom, and it will be a Honda
dealer by end of year.

If a dealer provides service and pays a franchise fee yearly, how does profit
improve closing a shop, even selling one car a year? I miss the financial model
somewhere.

Noted in passing: Lincoln is now selling a little crossover which has the Taurus
SHO "EccoBoost" engine, V6+2 turbo.And very cheap lease rates. I would take one
of those, more useful form factor than sedan, and cheaper price.

Yes, the engine is slightly detuned, it should still be a nice vehicle for
people with a busy lifestyle.

Old October 8th 10, 05:25 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 19/09/2010 6:33 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf

wrote:

On 10-09-16 11:41 PM,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.

Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes
not even
that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

That's what I'm saying. If Mercury disappears as a brand, then Ford the
corporation will likely give the former Mercury brand dealers, Ford
brands to sell instead.

I hear that Ford wants to close 500 dealerships. I would suspect they are
Mercury dealers.

Mercury dealerships are also Lincoln dealerships. Yes, Ford has wanted to
close many of them for decades. One I know of sell one car a year. Several
sell single digits a month. That isn't very profitable for Ford.

It has to be more profitable than selling none.

No, it really isn't. It costs Ford money to keep dealerships open.

The Dodge and Chevrolet dealers near me were closed. The nearest dealers are now
about 45 minutes away from me, which is a PITA for getting factory authorized
service, or even looking at the car to buy. Anyone living in the nearby area,
maybe 3k-4k people, is a LOT less likely to buy those brands. Subaru and Suzuki
have dealers in 15 minutes, Ford has two within 15-20 minutes, I can't imagine
that Dodge and Chevrolet are selling well, particularly since the Chevrolet
dealer was a huge multi-acre setup with large showroom, and it will be a Honda
dealer by end of year.

Yes, that was a purely political move. Certainly dealerships that turn cars
are profitable for the manufacturer. Ones that don't aren't.

If a dealer provides service and pays a franchise fee yearly, how does profit
improve closing a shop, even selling one car a year? I miss the financial model
somewhere.

The district sales and service managers still have to visit the dealerships.
There are books to be kept. Advertising, though some of that is regional
dealerships' responsibility. Quite a lot of expense.

AMD kills off 4x4 Quad FX lyon_wonder General 0 November 30th 07 06:12 AM
Dell Finally Goes for AMD Dave General 7 November 22nd 05 03:02 PM
IBM officially kills off OS/2, finally lyon_wonder General 7 July 26th 05 02:55 AM
ATI RADEON kills HP 2025 using 1600x1200 on DVI John Martin Ati Videocards 1 July 27th 04 11:43 AM