AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

Old September 16th 10, 10:49 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tony Harding[_5_]

Default AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

On 09/15/10 18:36, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:32:00 -0600, Joe wrote:

z writes:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf
wrote:

snip

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

For has announced that Mercury is being discontinued; I don't remember
the timetable. Like Plymouth, it's been pretty much on life support for
years and they're now turning off the machine.

Actually, as I look around, Ford appears to have abandoned the high-end
American luxury market to Cadillac and moved Lincoln down into the
former Mercury territory, so Mercury becomes pretty much redundant.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
not happy.

If he still has a dealership, he might be ecstatic.
Old September 17th 10, 04:41 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.
Old September 18th 10, 03:58 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 09/16/10 23:41, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:49:27 -0400, Tony wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Still has a business (job), unlike all the people who lost their
dealerships.

Other posters have commented that Lincoln seems to be migrating downward
in their MSRPs, which could expand their potential sales into former
Mercury owners, who would see a Lincoln nameplate on their car as a step
up in quality & status.
Old September 18th 10, 08:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

wrote:

[...]

IF it's still a business without 80% of it. Yes, if I owned a GM dealership
that was stolen out from under me by PotUS, as one close to here was, I'd be
some ****ed.

Other posters have commented that Lincoln seems to be migrating downward
in their MSRPs, which could expand their potential sales into former
Mercury owners, who would see a Lincoln nameplate on their car as a step
up in quality & status.

Maybe, but Mercury was really just another Ford. That was a good thing. I
don't remember a Lincoln that I ever wanted to buy. Still don't.
Old September 19th 10, 03:33 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Joe Pfeiffer

wrote:

[...]

Depends on whether my conjecture regarding retargeting Lincoln is
accurate, and how successful it is. I've certainly seen a lot more
Lincoln badges over the last few years than I've seen in decades, and
they been on cars I would have expected to have been labelled as
Mercurys. The MKZ, for instance, is exactly the sort of thing that used
to be a Mercury: a Ford Fusion with slight sheetmetal changes (in
fairness, it's also sold as a Mercury Milan).
Old September 19th 10, 08:02 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10-09-14 06:28 PM, GMAN wrote:
You can thank that ****er obama buying up GM for losing those brand names.

If anything, he saved GM from total collapse. However, I doubt that he
had anything to do with getting them to get rid of redundant brands.
GM's internal management probably came up with that themselves, as they
had to get rid of excess dealers.

They already had experience in getting rid of brands from the Oldsmobile
days.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 19th 10, 08:04 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 10-09-16 11:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.

Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 19th 10, 11:33 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 15:04:00 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 10-09-16 11:41 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
How so? It's going to be rough existing on only Lincolns. The market is
quite small and ageing fast.

Ford will most likely replace the Mercuries with Fords.

Huh? Almost all Mercurys *were* Fords with deferent trim (sometimes not even
that). LM dealers cannot sell Ford models.

AMD kills off 4x4 Quad FX lyon_wonder General 0 November 30th 07 07:12 AM
Dell Finally Goes for AMD Dave General 7 November 22nd 05 04:02 PM
IBM officially kills off OS/2, finally lyon_wonder General 7 July 26th 05 02:55 AM
ATI RADEON kills HP 2025 using 1600x1200 on DVI John Martin Ati Videocards 1 July 27th 04 11:43 AM