New unlocked Intel CPUs hit the market, for cheap

Old June 4th 10, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default New unlocked Intel CPUs hit the market, for cheap

The new unlocked i5 and i7 CPUs hit the market today on sites like Newegg and
TigerDirect. At least on Newegg they are OEM, no cooling provided. Claims of
4GHz with air cooling have been on the net, but as my grandmother used to say,
"The paper hold still" (her translation from the German).
Old June 4th 10, 06:29 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jim[_31_]

"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
The new unlocked i5 and i7 CPUs hit the market today on sites like Newegg
and TigerDirect. At least on Newegg they are OEM, no cooling provided.
Claims of 4GHz with air cooling have been on the net, but as my
grandmother used to say, "The paper hold still" (her translation from the
German).

I wouldn't call 875K for $330 cheap. And you can get a Ph2 x4 BE for $125
which makes the dual core 655K for $210 a terrible value. Getting 4GHZ on a
920/930 isn't difficult though the unlocked multi means you can use cheap
RAM&mobo so total platform cost the 875K probably wins by a little.
I find the 32nm quad Xeon for $390 that recently showed up on NewEgg more
interesting though the low multiplier makes hard to reach higher overclocks.

Old June 5th 10, 05:15 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Jim wrote:
"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
The new unlocked i5 and i7 CPUs hit the market today on sites like Newegg
and TigerDirect. At least on Newegg they are OEM, no cooling provided.
Claims of 4GHz with air cooling have been on the net, but as my
grandmother used to say, "The paper hold still" (her translation from the
German).

I wouldn't call 875K for $330 cheap.

The previous unlocked CPU was about $1000, the i5 model is $200. Comparing Intel
to AMD or SPARC isn't really useful in decision making.

Old June 6th 10, 08:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

On 6/4/2010 11:29 AM, Jim wrote:
"Bill wrote in message
The new unlocked i5 and i7 CPUs hit the market today on sites like Newegg
and TigerDirect. At least on Newegg they are OEM, no cooling provided.
Claims of 4GHz with air cooling have been on the net, but as my
grandmother used to say, "The paper hold still" (her translation from the
German).

I wouldn't call 875K for $330 cheap. And you can get a Ph2 x4 BE for $125
which makes the dual core 655K for $210 a terrible value. Getting 4GHZ on a
920/930 isn't difficult though the unlocked multi means you can use cheap
RAM&mobo so total platform cost the 875K probably wins by a little.
I find the 32nm quad Xeon for $390 that recently showed up on NewEgg more
interesting though the low multiplier makes hard to reach higher overclocks.

Looks like the AMD overclock specials still hold a value advantage
over the Intel ones. You usually get more cores for the same price,
and of course the motherboards are much cheaper usually.

Yousuf Khan

***
Intel Core i5-655K and Core i7-875K Reviewed - Conclusion: You Can't
Beat the Overclock - Reviews by ExtremeTech
"Both CPUs strike us as Intel's attempts to shore up the budget
sectors of its lineup—especially given the inroads AMD has been making
in those areas of late (such as with its promise-packed, yet
relatively affordable, Phenom II X6 six-core processor). We're not
entirely sure Intel will be able to capture it in the long term, but
if the company can price more LGA1156 chips as aggressively as it has
the Core i7-875K, it may have a real chance."
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2364281,00.asp
Old June 6th 10, 08:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan

On Jun 5, 10:15*am, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Jim wrote:
"Bill Davidsen" wrote in message
The new unlocked i5 and i7 CPUs hit the market today on sites like Newegg
and TigerDirect. At least on Newegg they are OEM, no cooling provided.
Claims of 4GHz with air cooling have been on the net, but as my
grandmother used to say, "The paper hold still" (her translation from the
German).

I wouldn't call 875K for $330 cheap.

The previous unlocked CPU was about $1000, the i5 model is $200. Comparing Intel
to AMD or SPARC isn't really useful in decision making.

AMD is considerably more relevant to Intel than SPARC is. SPARC isn't
an x86-compatible processor, but both Intel and AMD are.

Yousuf Khan
Old June 7th 10, 12:09 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Jun 6, 3:42*pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 6/4/2010 11:29 AM, Jim wrote:

"Bill *wrote in message
[...]

1. Why would someone read comp.sys.intel for advice about buying AMD
processors?

2. For whom is cores/$ a meaningful figure of merit?

3. I'm always curious about what's going on inside Intel's marketing
department, but I don't think I'd read extremetech to find out.

Robert.
Old June 7th 10, 01:54 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

On 6/4/2010 11:29 AM, Jim wrote:

"Bill wrote in message
[...]

Because all Intel-compatible processors are fair game. Also, as good a place as
any, both Intel and AMD have their fanboys here, so there's bilateral partisanship.

2. For whom is cores/$ a meaningful figure of merit?

I think that fell out of a discussion of computing power/$ and each reader
determines the way in which comments are useful. I personally think that's a bad
nit to pick, being a value judgement based on a hard verifiable ratio. You will
get more people who say "I don't use it" than "it doesn't mean anything."

3. I'm always curious about what's going on inside Intel's marketing
department, but I don't think I'd read extremetech to find out.

I doubt that this group is better.

Robert.

Old June 7th 10, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On 6/4/2010 11:29 AM, Jim wrote:

"Bill *wrote in message
[...]

comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips is the home pub for amd fanboys.
Yousuf knows that.

2. For whom is cores/$ a meaningful figure of merit?

I think that fell out of a discussion of computing power/$ and each reader
determines the way in which comments are useful. I personally think that's a bad
nit to pick, being a value judgement based on a hard verifiable ratio. You will
get more people who say "I don't use it" than "it doesn't mean anything."

I didn't make any value judgments. Maybe someone wants to test
scaling of algorithms and wants lots of cores and doesn't care about
anything else. As a general comment about the value proposition for
processors (and here is my value judgment), though, it's almost as
lame as thinking that a 64-bit processor is twice as powerful as a 32-
bit processor.

Robert.
Old June 7th 10, 04:38 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Nate Edel

Robert Myers wrote:
1. Why would someone read comp.sys.intel for advice about buying AMD
processors?

Is comp.sys.intel specifically for discussion of Intel products, or for
broader discussions of the intel-architecture (as sold by a number of
manufacturers in the past, and Intel/AMD/Via today.)

2. For whom is cores/$ a meaningful figure of merit?

On its own, nothing, but it's suggestive of looking at some more benchmarks
for someone with a very highly parallelizable workload - currently, the
6-core Phenom II 1090T actually beats the comparably-priced i7s (870 or 930)
for video encoding with some codecs[*].

[* ignoring a few super-cheap deals on those two chips that Microcenter has
had, and also ignoring the cheaper motherboards as compared to the 930]

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
Old June 7th 10, 05:10 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 6/7/2010 5:09 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
1. Why would someone read comp.sys.intel for advice about buying AMD
processors?

Because they are compatible with each other. Next silly question.

2. For whom is cores/$ a meaningful figure of merit?

Cores, threads, Mhz are all part of performance metric. Next silly question.

3. I'm always curious about what's going on inside Intel's marketing
department, but I don't think I'd read extremetech to find out.

Where in that article does Extremetech go inside Intel's marketing
department? It was just a test of processor performance. Any other silly
questions?

Yousuf Khan