Building New System

Old July 8th 03, 01:57 PM
Jack Bruss

Default Building New System

I got a lot of advice regarding a post on 7/3, and as a result here is the
system ny son and I are about to order to replace his old P II 267. Any
final thoughts or comments from anyone before we pull the trigger.
(all prices from Newegg)

Case - Raidmax 268FB w/ 350 ps, $36
Mobo - Asus P4P8x retail, $105
Processor - Northwind P4 2.4, retail, $166
Graphics card - MSI Ti 4200, GeF4, 128 MB, $123
Hard drive - WD WD400JB, 7200, 8MB cache, 40G, OEM, $70
CD/DVD - Lite on XJ-HD166S/XJ, 16xDVD, 48xCDROM, $34

Thanks,

Jack

Old July 9th 03, 03:14 AM
Brooks

yes i have a comment. I'm doing the same thing you are doing. Except i am
not using Newegg, I'm using AccuPC.com www.accupc.com the prices are much
better. except on the processor, which i am buying from www.googlegear.com
GREAT prices there. Good luck man!

Old July 10th 03, 07:45 PM
Dwayne Allen

You should be able to get a hard drive for about $1.00 US a gig. Why settle
for a 40 when you should have at least an 80 gig for that cost?

. com...

Old July 11th 03, 03:49 AM
Larc

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:50:42 GMT, Jack Bruss pondered exceedingly, then took
quill in hand and carefully composed...

| Two things: 1) I see $1 per gig for 100 gig drives or more, but not for 40
| to 80 gig, and 2) We don't need any more than 40, and won't for a long time.

Newegg has standard ATA100 80GB Western Digital hard drives (7200RPM, 2MB cache)
for $82 per with free shipping. Incidentally, that's the same price I paid for
the Special Edition (8MB cache) at Newegg a few weeks ago. If you can wait a
bit, they'll probably be available at that price again soon.

With 40GB drives nearly at that price level, I'd spring for the few more dollars
the 80MB costs and be ready with the extra space when it's needed.

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old July 11th 03, 04:59 AM
Strontium

YOU may not need more that 40....speak, for yourself!

-

"Dwayne Allen" wrote in message
You should be able to get a hard drive for about $1.00 US a gig. Why
settle for a 40 when you should have at least an 80 gig for that
cost?

. com...

--
Strontium

"Shortcuts are self-defeating. Mean. If you cannot do it,
clean, you'll never reach your reward..." - 311