Back-up Options - Which is the best?

Old April 5th 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Back-up Options - Which is the best?

"Dave" wrote...

How about an internal RAID 1 setup? Then continue to back up data to DVD
monthly, and store the DVD in a fire-proof safe. That should cover just about
anything.

RAID 1 does not protect you from accidental erasure because both copies will be
erased. Consider RAID 1 more of a data integrity measure than a backup measure.

Old April 5th 06, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Dave (from the UK)" wrote...

A good thing about DDS is that newer systems can read/write older tapes. So a
DDS5 tape drive can read/write DDS2, DDS2, DDS4 and of course DDS5. (There is
a DDS1, but the more modern units can write to that and probably can't read it
either).

HP, Seagate and Sony all produce DDS tape drives. Since the format is a
standard, any DDS drive will read any tapes written by any other drive. You
can get them internal or external.

Beware of cheap, consumer-grade tape drives (and backup software), though. I've
had good luck with professional-grade tape drives in servers in business
environments, but not very good luck with consumer-grade tape setups. They tend
to fail at inopportune times...

Also, for non-automated backups and restorations, tape drives are much slower
than HDDs.

Old April 7th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Or what about magnetic media?

That's what HDDs are... What other types are you considering?

What about building an external RAID array?

Thanks, I like the idea of buying an enclosure and fitting my HDD of choice.

As I said when I first asked the question originally, I really want to back
up stuff which requires no refreshing, and just put it in a draw and then
forget about it until needed, while avoiding the problems with the
degeneration of optical media ink. So I was thinking DAT maybe or something
else.

Bit if I could stick it on a USB HDD, unplug it from the system and be
relatively confident that it would still work, after laying unused for a few
years, then that would suit me fine. I presume that the life of a HDD is
very much determined by its usage but I am not sure about the electronics,
which control it?

As regards USB, is it just a bit of wire to an interface on the MB, or does
the gizmo itself have electronic circuitry to complete the hand-shake (if I
can call it that).

Thanks already!

Old April 7th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Steve Wade" wrote...

Bit if I could stick it on a USB HDD, unplug it from the system and be
relatively confident that it would still work, after laying unused for a few
years, then that would suit me fine. I presume that the life of a HDD is
very much determined by its usage but I am not sure about the electronics,
which control it?

The HDD life is likely WAY longer than a CD, and much less susceptible to damage
than tape...

As regards USB, is it just a bit of wire to an interface on the MB, or does
the gizmo itself have electronic circuitry to complete the hand-shake (if I
can call it that).

One cable to the USB port; one power cable. The external enclosure comes with
the USB-IDE electronics.