Pentium D 930 Chipset

Old March 29th 06, 10:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Pentium D 930 Chipset

Hi,
I have an Asus P5VD1 motherboard and have recently bought a Pentium 930
and PCI-E x16 graphics card.
After installing them when powering on all the usual stuff happens, all
fans (Including graphics card) spin, DVD fires up, HDD spins etc,
however there is no output to the monitor.

I have discovered that the graphics card is PCI-E x16 and the
motherboard will only support PCI-E x16 in x4 mode, not enough for the
card.

I have also noticed on the side of the Pentium 930's box "Requires
945/955X Express Chipset PCG05A". The ASUS motherboard has Northbridge:
VIA PT880Ultra and Southbridgfe: VT 8237R chipsets. Does this mean that
the CPU is rendered useless in this motherboard, even though, monitor
output aside, all appears normal?

Any help or guidence at all very much appreciated,

Thanks
Adam

Old March 30th 06, 12:54 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

adamsalisbury wrote:
[...]

A list of tested boards is at:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...nce/216415.htm

I know it is not a comprehensive list but, by those types of Asus boards
that are on it, I would say that the one you have is not compatible.
Old March 30th 06, 09:34 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Hi,
I've just found a webpage on the Asus site that gives a full list of
supported processors for the P5VD1-X motherboard and it is in the list.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

Thanks,
Adam

Old March 30th 06, 10:40 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

adamsalisbury wrote:
Hi,
I've just found a webpage on the Asus site that gives a full list of
supported processors for the P5VD1-X motherboard and it is in the list.

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/c...Language=en-us

Thanks,
Adam

Yeah, you're right.

However, if you search CPU using: Motherboard, Type: Socket775, Name:
P5VD1-X, and select the D930 it also says that it supports the 930 since
Bios 0502 and offers 0402 as the latest Bios download, which doesn't
seem too helpful.

Perhaps you should check the Bios on your board:

http://support.asus.com/technicaldoc...Language=en-us
Old March 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

That could be a problem.

Bios 0502 is available off the ASUS after a little digging. Bios 0502,
most current excluding betas, was released (from what I can tell) on
2005/12/01. I bought the motherboard only a couple of weeks ago, so is
it a fair assumption that it will come with the current version? Or is
it anyone's guess?
As I stated before I am graphics cardless at the moment so it is not
just a case of catching a glimps of the Bios in POST and the
motherboard revision of 2.03 means very little to me.

Old April 3rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

adamsalisbury wrote:
That could be a problem.

Bios 0502 is available off the ASUS after a little digging. Bios 0502,
most current excluding betas, was released (from what I can tell) on
2005/12/01. I bought the motherboard only a couple of weeks ago, so is
it a fair assumption that it will come with the current version? Or is
it anyone's guess?

I would bet the price of a case of good beer that the BIOS in the board
is whatever was mass burned shortly before the board was shipped.
Meaning that it may be months old, depending on how long it has been in
inventory at the distributor and/or retailer. Assume you need to
upgrade, unless the boot screen says otherwise.

As I stated before I am graphics cardless at the moment so it is not
just a case of catching a glimps of the Bios in POST and the
motherboard revision of 2.03 means very little to me.

As above, means nothing. I can't think of a good way to address this
other than to add a graphics card. You can go unaccelerated, and almost
any cheap card should get the info you need.

--
bill davidsen
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com