Upgrade hardware PII

Old March 27th 06, 02:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Upgrade hardware PII

Hi,

I've got an old Pentium II MMX and I want to upgrade the hardware.

1. My clock resets every time when I shut down the pc,is this the
battery?

2. Can I put every new battery (+-300W), soundcard,usb 2.0 card and dvd
writer in it or should I check for old specifications?

Thx.

Old March 27th 06, 03:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Yes, sounds like the battery that keeps your bios chip alive needs to
be replaced. Very simple to do, I just replaced the one in an 8 year
old Dell. They are usually a battery like a 2032. Looks like a fat
quarter. After you replace it, you may have to go into the bios setup
to put things back like they were. Often just the default works fine
and you won't have to do anything.

You can put in a new soundcard, usb card and DVD writer, but you have
to weigh that against the cost of a new computer.

Dick

Old March 28th 06, 01:30 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

That motherboard is too slow to run USB 2.0 or a DVD writer. (Check the
compatibility charts on those components boxes at the store to confirm this
for your self.)
Time for a modern computer.

--
DaveW

----------------
ups.com...

Old March 28th 06, 10:09 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

The pc has to store and organize pics and maybe burn it on DVD/CD.

Buying a new pc wil be an overcost if this pc can handle it.

Old March 28th 06, 07:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

DaveW schrieb:

That motherboard is too slow to run USB 2.0 or a DVD writer. (Check the
compatibility charts on those components boxes at the store to confirm this
for your self.)
Time for a modern computer.

I already burned DVDs on my old P2-333 computer, no problem. USB2 is
alos no problem, a good USB2 PCI card (not the ones with crappy VIA
chipsets) also works fine...

Benjamin
Old April 8th 06, 04:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Should a LG DVD+-R /+-RW 4167B Double Layer IDE Retail work or must I
check other things?

Old April 8th 06, 06:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

HDI schrieb:

Should a LG DVD+-R /+-RW 4167B Double Layer IDE Retail work or must I
check other things?

No, every writer should work without problems. But on a PII I wouldn't
use more than 4x burning speed, and this only if the IDE disks are
somewhat newer or of the system has some somewhat fast SCSI disks. With
a machine that has disks that are as old as the machine and also slow
I'd use 2x burning only.

Also be sure to have enough RAM...

Benjamin
Old April 11th 06, 07:40 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

I've got 128 Ram

Old April 11th 06, 07:41 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

I've got 128 Ram