intel to kill pata

Old February 21st 06, 03:58 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default intel to kill pata

Sata really going to be a standard?

Old February 21st 06, 05:03 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

"bgd" wrote in message

Sata really going to be a standard?

Since PATA has no advantages over SATA and SATA has many advantages over
PATA, there seems to be no reason to want PATA to stay around. The only
reason people still make PATA devices is because there are people who don't
have SATA on their machines. The only reason people still put PATA ports on
machines is because there are still people who have PATA devices. It's
already legacy all around.

DS

Old February 21st 06, 02:16 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

I'm not sure if you can answer my next q....
I have sata ability now, and chose not to. I read and am (uncertain of
facts) that sata doesnt get it's advantage unless it is being run on a
pci-express chipset. Is it true?
If not, an accurate reliable answer is gonna send me to get some Sata
drives.
;o)

Old February 21st 06, 08:00 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

"bgd" wrote in message

I'm not sure if you can answer my next q....
I have sata ability now, and chose not to. I read and am (uncertain of
facts) that sata doesnt get it's advantage unless it is being run on a
pci-express chipset. Is it true?
If not, an accurate reliable answer is gonna send me to get some Sata
drives.
;o)

It is true and it isn't. It depends what advantage you're talking about.

AFAIC, the primary advantages of SATA right now are that the cable is
thinner, neater, and cleaner, and there's no issues with master/slave
configuration, detection, or slowdowns. You get those no matter what. If you
want SATA because it's faster or because it will make possible hub/switch
type configurations similar to USB, then you will not get those advantages
from every current SATA implementation.

All things being anywhere close to equal, you should prefer SATA now
because it's more future proof. I would not buy a new PATA device unless I
was going to install it on a machine that didn't have SATA ports and that I
didn't expect to be upgrading in the future. (Otherwise, I'd add SATA now.)

DS

Old March 4th 06, 07:08 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

"Peter Bjørn Perlsø" wrote in message
. ..
bgd wrote:

I'm not sure if you can answer my next q....
I have sata ability now, and chose not to. I read and am (uncertain of
facts) that sata doesnt get it's advantage unless it is being run on a
pci-express chipset. Is it true?
If not, an accurate reliable answer is gonna send me to get some Sata
drives.
;o)

A switch from PATA to SATA usually yields no performance advantages,
because hard disks are limited by their mechanism, not by the data
interface.

If you want to switch, do it because the cables are easier to install
and mess with. But if you already have a working PATA setup you're happy
with, I see no reason to upgrade to SATA.

Not to mention getting rid of all that master/slave indentured servant crap.
Oh yeah, and the RAID is simple and easy to use.

Old March 9th 06, 06:36 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Yup, Intel's ICH8 removes PATA, just 6 SATA channels.
The problem is almost nobody has SATA CD/DVD drives.

The ICH5 had 4 PATA + 2 SATA, but no PCI-e.
The 266MB/s hub link is a bottleneck when fully loaded.

Old March 9th 06, 08:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Eric Gisin wrote:
Yup, Intel's ICH8 removes PATA, just 6 SATA channels.
The problem is almost nobody has SATA CD/DVD drives.

Based on limited experience and reports, the situation for CD is bad,
the situation for CD-R and DVD-R includes fewer choices, higher prices,
and firmware definitely in the beta stage. There was a note from someone
trying to run Nero, I don't remember where I saw it.

--
bill davidsen
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com
Old March 13th 06, 08:19 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Eric Gisin wrote:

The problem is almost nobody has SATA CD/DVD drives.

Didn't even know they existed? Never seen one, at least.

Try Plextor.

later....

Old March 16th 06, 04:03 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Peter Bjørn Perlsø wrote:
Eric Gisin wrote:

The problem is almost nobody has SATA CD/DVD drives.

Didn't even know they existed? Never seen one, at least.

They exist, but are expensive and not commonly available. I see not real
benefit for SATA on CD/DVD, if you really need a lot of them you will
probably go SCSI.

Old March 30th 06, 10:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Eric Gisin wrote:
Yup, Intel's ICH8 removes PATA, just 6 SATA channels.
The problem is almost nobody has SATA CD/DVD drives.

$15 or so gets you a SATA to PATA bridge; they run quite nicely.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

"What's the use of yearning for Elysian Fields when you know you can't get
'em, and would only let 'em out on building leases if you had 'em?" (WSG)