Help - my rebate check expired

Old February 21st 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Help - my rebate check expired

On 20 Feb 2006, "Bob Davis" wrote in

But the originating bank may refuse to render the funds, thus
causing your bank to negate the deposit.

I know, but in my case, nobody contested the check, and now, three
years later, I'm thinking I may finally be able to spend that $20.
Old February 21st 06, 06:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nil wrote:

I've done it. The check was cashed. It was no dream.

For $20, I wouldn't risk the possibility their bank would reject it
and then my bank would charge me $25 for the returned check.
Old February 21st 06, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"John Doe" wrote in message

Oh I see...... don't agree with idiot Johnny and you are then a
troll.

You certainly are a troll when you immediately start insulting
people you don't agree with.

Think of yourself as a lone piece of toilet paper in a big pile of
****.

Old February 21st 06, 07:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Apparently troll Bob is still hurting from being corrected about
dual monitors.

From: "Bob" fake fake.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Help - my rebate check expired

Old February 21st 06, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Wilf Wood" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:42:18 GMT, tom hunt
wrote:

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence allows
you to properly fill out the forms

He has a point. Rebates always ask you to send in the UPC bar from the
box. Well, you can't return the merchandise if you have cut up the
box.

A friend if mine did several years ago at BB. They deducted the rebate from
the refund. Probably only works on store rebates. Have no idea if this is
common or if he just got lucky. Would be a bitch if you didn't get the
rebate. Fortunately I haven't needed to test it.
YMMV

Old February 21st 06, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"T Shadow" knone zilch.com.invalid wrote:

"Wilf Wood" no spam.here wrote in message
news:lihlv1pgbg1p4jmq0867eslplsetdi54ro 4ax.com...
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:42:18 GMT, tom hunt tomhunt whocares.com
wrote:

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence
allows you to properly fill out the forms

He has a point. Rebates always ask you to send in the UPC bar
from the box. Well, you can't return the merchandise if you have
cut up the box.

A friend if mine did several years ago at BB. They deducted the
rebate from the refund. Probably only works on store rebates. Have
no idea if this is common or if he just got lucky. Would be a
bitch if you didn't get the rebate. Fortunately I haven't needed
to test it. YMMV

Wow, that one bounces off of a lot of rails.

From: "T Shadow" knone zilch.com.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:15:34 GMT

Old February 22nd 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nil wrote:

On 20 Feb 2006, David Maynard wrote in
:

Nil wrote:

Just cash it. Chances are the bank won't notice.

In your dreams.

I've done it. The check was cashed. It was no dream.

Then you better change banks because they aren't supposed to cash invalid
checks.

I tried it too, btw, and my bank ain't blind.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:

David Maynard nospam private.net wrote:

John Doe wrote:

tom hunt tomhunt whocares.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

"Bill Schaible" mr.correct comcast.net wrote:

I bought a 450 watt power supply at CompUSA and then sent in
all the paperwork to get a $20 rebate. When I got the rebate
check I put it in my wallet and promptly forgot about it.

It says: VOID after 12/30/2005. Has anybody had this problem
and figured out how to get another check.

Avoid rebates like the plague. Most times, they are probably a
scam to avoid returns.

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence
allows you to properly fill out the forms

Tell me then, troll, what is the purpose of rebates besides
preventing returns?

It's money directly in your pocket vs the retailer deciding to
take a piece, or all, of the price cut.

Unless the product sells, the retailer won't get anything.

Which has nothing to do with whether *you* get the rebate.

It's a temporary incentive.

The manufacturer could easily provide that incentive to the retailer
per unit sold.

Which doesn't necessarily get *you* the rebate.

It can be more precisely targeted to a particular market segment
or region.

Same as above.

Same as above.

It can be used in conjunction with distributor incentives.

Same as above.

Same as above.

You don't have to trash and reprint every sales and price
brochure, then redo the same thing all over again after the
incentive program ends.

Giving the money to the retailer per unit sold would be even easier
than that.

The point isn't to 'give the retailer' a rebate.

And more.

Well yeah, it prevents returns.

No it doesn't.

And he's right.

Because you say so.

Yep.

I've never had a rebate problem either unless I made some
kind of mistake, like letting it expire.

I have. Like them not sending the rebate check. Others have, lots of
others have.

And I haven't. And lots of other haven't.

Look up rebate lawsuit on Yahoo. In the first three results, you get
Best Buy rebate lawsuit and OfficeMax rebate lawsuit.

Anybody can file a lawsuit for any reason.

The Internet is littered with negative experiences with rebate
scams.

People who don't have problems don't generally post messages about not
having problems.

I think the best way to look at it is to figure they are trying to
stop you from returning the product. Clearly that's one motive since
that is the direct/immediate consequence of applying for a rebate,
and no manufacturer or merchant wants you to return a product.

Of course you think so because you're a conspiracy nut.

Of course there are other reasons.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence allows
you to properly fill out the forms

He has a point. Rebates always ask you to send in the UPC bar from the
box. Well, you can't return the merchandise if you have cut up the
box.

Technically you can't return it after you've ripped off the shrink wrap
before you even get to cutting the UPC off. Nor after your cracked the
bubble shell it's encased in and installed the whatever.

It's pretty darn simple. Decide whether you want it or not before you cut
it up.

Old February 22nd 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 21 Feb 2006, David Maynard wrote in
:

Then you better change banks because they aren't supposed to cash
invalid checks.

After more than 20 years with the same bank, and not a single
problem... I don't think I'm going to be changing any time soon.

Pixma Rebate Offer Experience breyfogle Printers 1 August 27th 05 05:52 PM
HP IIP+ - Still have accordion fold at bottom RD2 Printers 1 November 16th 04 01:52 PM
Rebates? P T Homebuilt PC's 19 October 11th 04 09:47 PM
cyclic redundancy check Margaret Printers 3 September 3rd 04 01:58 PM
Rebate class action suite Jenny Dell Computers 65 December 4th 03 05:16 AM