Help - my rebate check expired

Old February 20th 06, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Help - my rebate check expired

On 20 Feb 2006, "Bill Schaible" wrote in
:

I bought a 450 watt power supply at CompUSA and then sent in all
the paperwork to get a $20 rebate. When I got the rebate check I
put it in my wallet and promptly forgot about it.

It says: VOID after 12/30/2005. Has anybody had this problem and
figured out how to get another check.

Just cash it. Chances are the bank won't notice. If they won't, well,
you gambled and lost. Such is life. Better luck next time.

Old February 21st 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:

tom hunt tomhunt whocares.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

"Bill Schaible" mr.correct comcast.net wrote:

I bought a 450 watt power supply at CompUSA and then sent in all
the paperwork to get a $20 rebate. When I got the rebate check
I put it in my wallet and promptly forgot about it.

It says: VOID after 12/30/2005. Has anybody had this problem
and figured out how to get another check.

Avoid rebates like the plague. Most times, they are probably a
scam to avoid returns.

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence
allows you to properly fill out the forms

Tell me then, troll, what is the purpose of rebates besides
preventing returns?

It's money directly in your pocket vs the retailer deciding to take a
piece, or all, of the price cut.

It's a temporary incentive.

It can be more precisely targeted to a particular market segment or region.

It can be used in conjunction with distributor incentives.

You don't have to trash and reprint every sales and price brochure, then
redo the same thing all over again after the incentive program ends.

And more.

And he's right. I've never had a rebate problem either unless I made some
kind of mistake, like letting it expire.

Old February 21st 06, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Hawkeye wrote:

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence allows
you to properly fill out the forms

And if you had any intelligence you would see its a matter of an
expired check not the inability to properly submit requirements.

Doing things before it expires *is* part of the proper submission requirements.

Old February 21st 06, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 20 Feb 2006, David Maynard wrote in
:

Nil wrote:
Just cash it. Chances are the bank won't notice.

In your dreams.

I've done it. The check was cashed. It was no dream.
Old February 21st 06, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:

"Bill Schaible" mr.correct comcast.net wrote:

I bought a 450 watt power supply at CompUSA and then sent in
all the paperwork to get a $20 rebate. When I got the rebate
check I put it in my wallet and promptly forgot about it.

It says: VOID after 12/30/2005. Has anybody had this problem
and figured out how to get another check.

Avoid rebates like the plague. Most times, they are probably a
scam to avoid returns.

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence
allows you to properly fill out the forms

Tell me then, troll, what is the purpose of rebates besides
preventing returns?

It's money directly in your pocket vs the retailer deciding to
take a piece, or all, of the price cut.

Unless the product sells, the retailer won't get anything.

It's a temporary incentive.

The manufacturer could easily provide that incentive to the retailer
per unit sold.

It can be more precisely targeted to a particular market segment
or region.

Same as above.

It can be used in conjunction with distributor incentives.

Same as above.

You don't have to trash and reprint every sales and price
brochure, then redo the same thing all over again after the
incentive program ends.

Giving the money to the retailer per unit sold would be even easier
than that.

And more.

Well yeah, it prevents returns.

And he's right.

Because you say so.

I've never had a rebate problem either unless I made some
kind of mistake, like letting it expire.

I have. Like them not sending the rebate check. Others have, lots of
others have.

Look up rebate lawsuit on Yahoo. In the first three results, you get
Best Buy rebate lawsuit and OfficeMax rebate lawsuit.

The Internet is littered with negative experiences with rebate
scams.

I think the best way to look at it is to figure they are trying to
stop you from returning the product. Clearly that's one motive since
that is the direct/immediate consequence of applying for a rebate,
and no manufacturer or merchant wants you to return a product.

Of course there are other reasons.

newsdbm04.news.prodigy.com!newsdst01.news.prodigy. com!
newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon02. news.prodigy.com!
prodigy.net!news.glorb.com!sn-xt-sjc-04!sn-xt-sjc-11!sn-xt-sjc-09!sn-
post-01!supernews.com!corp.supernews.com!not-for-mail
From: David Maynard nospam private.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Help - my rebate check expired
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:06:11 -0600

Gecko/20030624 Netscape/7.1 (ax)

Xns97709638AA157follydom 207.115.17.102 _IqKf.32720$VV4.377944
ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca Xns9770A2681424Afollydom 207.115.17.102

Old February 21st 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bill Schaible" wrote in message
I bought a 450 watt power supply at CompUSA and then sent in all the
paperwork to get a $20 rebate. When I got the rebate check I put it in my
wallet and promptly forgot about it.

It says: VOID after 12/30/2005. Has anybody had this problem and figured
out how to get another check. I didn't try anything yet. The check has a
bank name and account number and an address in Clara City MN. Also I
still
have a photocopy of the paperwork I sent in to get the check.

TIA Bill S.

Phone or email the rebate center and ask where your check is. They will
likely assume it never arrived, cancel the old check, and send another.
There is likely no evidence it was ever delivered to you. This requires a
stretch of the truth, but it's not like you're cheating them, and you may
get the rebate you deserve. I doubt if cashing the check within a certain
time interval was in the original agreement.

Old February 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Nil wrote:
Just cash it. Chances are the bank won't notice.

In your dreams.

I've done it. The check was cashed. It was no dream.

But the originating bank may refuse to render the funds, thus causing your
bank to negate the deposit.

Old February 21st 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Bob Davis" wrote:

Phone or email the rebate center and ask where your check is.
They will likely

put you on hold for several hours and then accidentally hang up on
you, if you're lucky.

assume it never arrived, cancel the old check,
and send another. There is likely no evidence it was ever
delivered to you.

They take no responsibility for anything lost in the mail.

This requires a stretch of the truth, but it's
not like you're cheating them, and you may get the rebate you
deserve. I doubt if cashing the check within a certain time
interval was in the original agreement.

But seriously.

They aren't even responsible for requests allegedly lost in the mail
or proofs of purchase allegedly not included. Having photocopies
doesn't do anything either.

He's cooked.

Old February 21st 06, 05:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:
tom hunt tomhunt whocares.com wrote:

This is bull****........ rebates work fine if your intelligence
allows you to properly fill out the forms

Tell me then, troll, what is the purpose of rebates besides
preventing returns?

Oh I see...... don't agree with idiot Johnny and you are then a troll.

Bye bye little johnny

Pixma Rebate Offer Experience breyfogle Printers 1 August 27th 05 05:52 PM
HP IIP+ - Still have accordion fold at bottom RD2 Printers 1 November 16th 04 01:52 PM
Rebates? P T Homebuilt PC's 19 October 11th 04 09:47 PM
cyclic redundancy check Margaret Printers 3 September 3rd 04 01:58 PM
Rebate class action suite Jenny Dell Computers 65 December 4th 03 05:16 AM