Wires from power switch broke, can't turn on power; HELP

Old December 10th 05, 04:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Wires from power switch broke, can't turn on power; HELP

Here are 3 pics of my problem. The two wires connected to my power switch
came off. I have no way to reconnect them. Now I cannot turn on my comp. Is
there anything I can do? See the pics below.

http://tinypic.com/ieghp5.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghtl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghv4.jpg

Old December 10th 05, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Wilson" wrote in message
Here are 3 pics of my problem. The two wires connected to my power switch
came off. I have no way to reconnect them. Now I cannot turn on my comp.
Is there anything I can do? See the pics below.

the pix were a bit blurry so it's hard to see what happened.

if the two pins on the motherboard broke off...
you will need to solder two fine wires in their place and splice them into
the wires going to your power switch.

if it's just the connector on the end of the power switch...
you can probably just reuse some old ones that you could get from
any computer shop

Old December 10th 05, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

""Outback" Jon" wrote in message
Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using my
reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out that
used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can buy to
make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

Old December 10th 05, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using
my reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out
that used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can
buy to make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

sure
just cut and splice the wires...

Old December 10th 05, 06:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Assuming you don't use your reset button often, you can use that to
power your computer. Just hook it up to the motherboard where the power
switch was hooked up.

Yes, that worked. I don't know why I did not think about that. I am using
my reset switch now and have no power button. I have two wires poking out
that used to go to the power button. I wonder if there is anything I can
buy to make a power switch again by connecting it back to those 2 wires?

Go to Radio Shack and get another pushbutton (that toggles between closed
and open), drill a hole in the case or front bezel, and solder onto that.
Or see if you can find a replacement switch from the case manufacturer or
computer vendor. http://www.digikey.com/ probably has it but good luck in
hunting around their site to find it. There is also a chance that you could
carve enough epoxy and shell from around the broken-off pins in the old
power switch to give you enough to solder on the old wires. If you don't
want to go through the soldering or finding a replacement switch, you could
buy a new case, too.

The pics were very poor. I had to open them in IrfanView to up the
brightness and contrast along with improving sharpness. Next time look at
how they look before posting them.

Old December 10th 05, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Vanguard wrote in message
The pics were very poor. I had to open them in IrfanView to up the
brightness and contrast along with improving sharpness. Next time look at
how they look before posting them.

I was in a hurry, the pics servered their purpose, and the pics were not
expected to show the points where the wires broke of the metal. They were
only supposed to give a quick mental picture of what I was talking about.
You did not need Irfanview for that.

Other than that, thank you very much for taking the time to help me.

Old December 10th 05, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Wilson" wrote in message
Vanguard wrote in message
The pics were very poor. I had to open them in IrfanView to up the
brightness and contrast along with improving sharpness. Next time look
at how they look before posting them.

They were only supposed to give a quick mental picture of what I was
talking about.

Oh. I thought you wanted *US* to see what you were talking about. There is
no need to add pic links to a post if all they are for is some mental note
to yourself.

Old December 10th 05, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:16:14 -0600, "Wilson"
wrote:

Here are 3 pics of my problem. The two wires connected to my power switch
came off. I have no way to reconnect them. Now I cannot turn on my comp. Is
there anything I can do? See the pics below.

http://tinypic.com/ieghp5.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghtl.jpg

http://tinypic.com/ieghv4.jpg

As you have noted, the reset switch will work for the time
being. If the reset and power switches themselves are
physically identical (the actual switch itself), then you
could even swap the switch from the reset switch's position
in the front panel holder, to the position that holds the
power switch... then you just have to fix your reset switch.

To fix the reset switch, you can either go to a mom-n-pop
computer shop and show them your switch, explaining that you
need another one (which will be obvious to them since the
wire isn't connected to it). Your switch is fairly common
type, any decent shop should be able to help you if it's the
old fashioned type where they fix computers hands-on rather
than just shelves of stuff for sale.

The other alternative is to take a sharp knife and strip off
about 3mm of the insulation off the wires, twist them about
3 turns clockwise so they're not fraying out in odd
directions, and solder them back to the switch pins they
broke off of. If you're not experienced in soldering
(probably not), it would be best to have someone else solder
it, because overheating these switch pins will be a problem
as they are short and held in the plastic body of the
switch. It's not hard for someone with soldering
experience to do, but without any soldering experience I
would suggest that you at least read some soldering
tutorials and practice on some scrap wire and metal before
trying to do it yourself. Soldering irons plus plenty of
solder are available at Radio Shack for about $5, but anyone
practiced at soldering probably has a soldering iron.
Old December 10th 05, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"kony" wrote in message

.To fix the reset switch, you can either go to a mom-n-pop

computer shop and show them your switch,

Thanks. I plan to do that Monday just as soon as they open. If not, I am
going to order the one I found online.

http://www.directron.com/atxswitch.html

Dead computer? Patty Homebuilt PC's 63 February 4th 05 08:06 AM
Can I fabricate my own USB power cable? Bryan Ischo General Hardware 5 September 12th 04 10:58 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
Computer switches off ~misfit~ General 8 July 27th 03 11:38 AM