Pixma 1800 Faded Printing

Old April 6th 08, 02:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Default Pixma 1800 Faded Printing

I suspect the problem is partly the paper you are using. Also, most
printer use different profiles for different printing papers, file types
and even subject matter in some cases. The amount of ink, the contrast
and dynamic range and other issues all alter based upon the type of
paper which is going to be used. Most printers will provide you with a
choice in these parameters, and you will need to do some experimentation
to get the best results from your printer.

Art

wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you
using?

I was just testing with plain paper.

Is it a coated paper for inkjet use?

No, but I didn't expect high gloss perfection.

Also what settings are you
using for the drivers, draft, photo, what resolution?, etc.

The printer's print program is very limited to red eye correction and
not much else.
No resolution or other settings.

There is a possibility of bad heads, or bad cartridges, but first make
sure you are using the right paper and driver setting before chasing
after other problems.

Art

Thanks.
I'm going to try a high resolution jpeg file and photo paper.
I get an ok picture on plain paper but it is thru Windows and not
printer software.
I hate wasting ink and paper on testing.
Like I said, when I printed a reduced picture thru Windows rather than
the Printer Photo program it was not faded.
The manual is not much help either.
Just says clean and align heads.
Black printing works fine.

wrote:
Brand new out ofthe box Pixma 1800 is making faded color prints.
There is no white lines or breaks on print test.
Everything is just weak and faded.
Black is good and solid.
Colors are there just very faded.
Nothing in manual about this.
Paper thickness lever is proper to the left.
Any ideas?
Bad brand new cartridge?
Thnx

Old April 6th 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

wrote:

On Apr 5, 5:29 pm, measekite
wrote:

Tony
Apr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur Entlichwrote:With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you using?I was just testing with plain paper.Generally printing photos on plain paper produces disappointing results,

measekite wrote: What kind of idiot that makes believe he is a photographer would print results on plain paper even if the person does a snapshot with a pinhole camera.usually very pale. Changing the driver settings won't help very much. You would be well advised to buy a small amount of photo quality paper and try the printer with that, making sure you use photo quality settings in the application or driver. You may be very pleasantly surprised since this printer can produce very high quality output. Tony MS MVP Printing/ Imaging Smedly writes: I didn't buy it considering the "photo paper only" possible aspect of the printer. I didn't buy it strictly for printing photos. I bought it for all around use. I didn't see anywhere in my reading where it wouldn't be good for general color picture and color printer use. If it is such then I'll have to deal with it and get a "color printer" as opposed to a "photo printer." I had an HP 960c that made quite nice color prints on plain paper and very high quality prints on photo paper.

It is obvious you do not know what you are talkling about and have poor taste.

Here is why.

In addition to a Canon IP4000 I also have an HP990Cse.  A couple of models better than your HP960c but with a similar or same print engine.  It does not make what I call good photo prints on plain paper and the prints on photo paper cannot begin to compare with Canon.  They may be marginally acceptable but certainly not very high quality like the Canon.

If the printer is only made for photo quality paper than that's my hard luck as I bought it for all around color printing. If it takes photo paper to get a deep color print th that is what i will use if printing a flyer or such on the printer. As I said, it makes a pretty decent print now in wallet size om plain paper from a 1 megapixel photo file.

A 1 mp photo is worthless.
Old April 7th 08, 12:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_2_]

"Michael Grey" wrote in message
Use the EZ Photo Print Software.
It will make all your adjustments for you.
Like was stated already in this group use photo paper for pictures.
It should be Canon's paper or go to the makers site and tweak your
settings.
I have seen a 1mp Polaroid (circa 1999) produce stunning pictures on this
machine.

wrote in message
Brand new out ofthe box Pixma 1800 is making faded color prints.
There is no white lines or breaks on print test.
Everything is just weak and faded.
Black is good and solid.
Colors are there just very faded.
Nothing in manual about this.
Paper thickness lever is proper to the left.
Any ideas?
Bad brand new cartridge?

Thnx

There are many brands of photo papers that can produce good photo results
with canon dye-based printers. If you have access to a costco store,
purchase their glossy photo paper. It comes in 4x6 and 8.5x11 sizes and is
extremely reasonable. While it may not be quite a fade resistant as the
canon papers, it does produce beautiful prints. For brochures or greeting
cards you might try the Staples photo supreme double sided matte paper. It
often goes on sale with a two-for-one deal, and on rare occasion it is on
sale for $2 per package. The images are not quite as bright as on glossy
paper, but they will be infintely better than on plain paper. Inkjet
matte paper has a coating that doesn't permit the ink to diffuse into the
paper.

Old April 7th 08, 08:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 1:22 am, Tony wrote:
wrote:
Tony :On Apr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur

Smedly writes:
I didn't buy it considering the "photo paper only" possible aspect of
the printer. I didn't buy it strictly for printing photos.
I bought it for all around use. I didn't see anywhere in my reading
where it wouldn't be good for general color picture and color printer
use. If it is such then I'll have to deal with it and get a "color
printer" as opposed to a "photo printer."
I had an HP 960c that made quite nice color prints on plain paper and
very high quality prints on photo paper.
If the printer is only made for photo quality paper than that's my
hard luck as I bought it for all around color printing. If it takes
photo paper to get a deep color print th that is what i will use if
printing a flyer or such on the printer.
As I said, it makes a pretty decent print now in wallet size om plain
paper from a 1 megapixel photo file.

I wasn't implying that it is a Photo only printer, only that photos will be at
their best when using photo paper. It should produce good all round colour
output. Testing 1 megapixel photos on plain paper at anything larger than
default size (wallet or smaller) will not be great in my opinion. Any decent
photo printer should produce good non photo results (this is a decent printer)
but the original image is always going to be a limiting factor. Good luck in
your endeavours. I think someone suiggested you may have a colour cartridge
problem, well worth considering also.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

I've printed the 1 megapix photos thru Windows viewed thru Netscape
and the saturation is fine (even for plain paper) at print preview
100% which is 864 x 1152 pixels, Scaled 46%.
The problem of fading has only happened when using the Easy Photoprint
software that loaded to my Desktop when I loaded the printer drivers.
So, it appears the problem is restricted to that software.
When I see the image in either EasyP or Netscape on the monitor they
look fine.
There are very few photo manipulation functions in EasyP.
I must search on screen software manual now for more....
Old April 7th 08, 08:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 9:23 am, measekite wrote:
rote:On Apr 5, 5:29 pm, wrote:Tonywrote:smedl :OnApr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur wrote:With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you using?I was just testing with plain paper.Generally printing photos on plain paper produces disappointing results,measekite wrote: What kind of idiot that makes believe he is a photographer would print results on plain paper even if the person does a snapshot with a pinhole camera.usually very pale. Changing the driver settings won't help very much. You would be well advised to buy a small amount of photo quality paper and try the printer with that, making sure you use photo quality settings in the application or driver. You may be very pleasantly surprised since this printer can produce very high quality output. Tony MS MVP Printing/ Imaging Smedly writes: I didn't buy it considering the "photo paper only" possible aspect of the printer. I didn't buy it strictly for printing photos. I bought it for all around use. I didn't see anywhere in my reading where it wouldn't be good for general color picture and color printer use. If it is such then I'll have to deal with it and get a "color printer" as opposed to a "photo printer." I had an HP 960c that made quite nice color prints on plain paper and very high quality prints on photo paper.It is obvious you do not know what you are talkling about and have poor taste.
Here is why.
In addition to a Canon IP4000 I also have an HP990Cse. A couple of models better than your HP960c but with a similar or same print engine. It does not make what I call good photo prints on plain paper and the prints on photo paper cannot begin to compare with Canon. They may be marginally acceptable but certainly not very high quality like the Canon.If the printer is only made for photo quality paper than that's my hard luck as I bought it for all around color printing. If it takes photo paper to get a deep color print th that is what i will use if printing a flyer or such on the printer. As I said, it makes a pretty decent print now in wallet size om plain paper from a 1 megapixel photo file.A 1 mp photo is worthless.

Hey asshole.
I didn't come here to argue about my choice in "quality photo
printers."
I bought this for basic office documentation work and letter printing.
I got it for the cost of one set of replacement cartridges.
I doubt it'll ever see a photo quality paper.
When I want your advice about printing my high end digital racing or
concert photography that I farm out to custom labs I'll let you know.
Old April 7th 08, 08:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 6:45 am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
I suspect the problem is partly the paper you are using. Also, most
printer use different profiles for different printing papers, file types
and even subject matter in some cases. The amount of ink, the contrast
and dynamic range and other issues all alter based upon the type of
paper which is going to be used. Most printers will provide you with a
choice in these parameters, and you will need to do some experimentation
to get the best results from your printer.

Art

The Easy Photoprint software that loaded from the printer allowed the
choice of papers and size/orintation of the prints. The choices
included "plain paper."

Old April 7th 08, 08:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 4:04 pm, "Burt" wrote:
"Michael Grey" wrote in message

Use the EZ Photo Print Software.
It will make all your adjustments for you.

It is making fade prints.
All washed out on plain paper for which there is a preference in
EasyP.
When I print it from a Netscape browser it's great on plain paper,
penty of saturation.

Like was stated already in this group use photo paper for pictures.

I will when it's needed.
I should be able to get a fair clear dark print just like any other
color printer will do.
It isn't happening in EasyP but looks fine thru Windows file in
Netscape viewing and printing.

It should be Canon's paper or go to the makers site and tweak your
settings.
I have seen a 1mp Polaroid (circa 1999) produce stunning pictures on this
machine.

I know even 1mp photos will look great on photo paper but they
shouldn't be faded like 50% in EasyP?
EasyP has a plain paper preference.
I'm gong to search the on screen manual which looks more detailed.

wrote in message
[...]

When I go to photo quality needs I'll look at this.
Old April 7th 08, 08:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

wrote in message
(snip)

I've printed the 1 megapix photos thru Windows viewed thru Netscape
and the saturation is fine (even for plain paper) at print preview
100% which is 864 x 1152 pixels, Scaled 46%.
The problem of fading has only happened when using the Easy Photoprint
software that loaded to my Desktop when I loaded the printer drivers.
So, it appears the problem is restricted to that software.
When I see the image in either EasyP or Netscape on the monitor they
look fine.
There are very few photo manipulation functions in EasyP.
I must search on screen software manual now for more....

Easy Photoprint actually takes over the printer and doesn't permit you to do
much adjusting in the printer software. You can put in the adjustments, but
EasyP overrides almost all of them. Better to use one of the photo editing
programs that then permits "tweaking" the images. EasyP basically takes the
paper type you input and sets everything from the paper type.

By now you know that our resident Troll, Measekite, tries to blow smoke
whenever he can. Pay no attention to him as his primary function in life is
to irritate people.

Old April 8th 08, 03:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

It sounds as though the software you are using is not well profiled for
plain paper with your printer model, since you get good results with the
Netscape browser print function, the printer is probably fine.

If the EZ Photo Print software can't be adjusted to provide you with a
better result with the plain paper, a change of software may be what's
required. I am not familiar with EZ Photo Print software, but could
they have a ink saver mode that's been selected., or a lower resolution
mode? Some software assumes that the inks will bleed so much when used
with plain paper that the printer must be scaled way back in terms of
ink density to avoid a sopping wet print. But possibly with the printer
model you have, the dots are small enough, or the inks resist bleeding
and dot gain enough that they wouldn't require very restrictive ink flow
with plain paper.

Even plain paper types vary a fair amount in terms of appropriate print
density, so hopefully the software you are using has some type of
sliders or other adjustment options.

Art

Old April 8th 08, 04:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mickey

Burt wrote:
wrote in message
(snip)
[...]

I use EZ photoprint for the typ snapshots. While not as good as one can
get with some effort with a decent photo editor program, it does quite
well when teamed up with the Costco Kirkland brand paper Burt mentioned
in a previous post.

Mickey