spontaneous reboot

Old July 10th 03, 07:39 PM
Darryl

Default spontaneous reboot

Greetings,
I have a P4 machine with Intel mobo and kingston memory. It has
been running nice for over a year. No problems or abnormal behavior.

Recently, I had to strip it down and re-install Win2000 on it (for another
user to use). It has been working fine for over two weeks. Today,
it started spontaneous reboots. It will be setting at the desktop, then
poof. Start rebooting. I shut it off for over an hour (while at lunch).
Powered it up, and after sitting at the desktop for a few minutes
(5 or 10) poof. reboot.

What can be causing this behavior? What should I start looking at
first ?

thanks,
Darryl

Old July 10th 03, 08:14 PM
Pen

Right click mycomputer/select properties/advanced/startup and
recovery/
uncheck "Automatically Reboot'. You should then start seeing error
messages, which may provide clues as to what is failing.
Also, you can check the log files, which are listed immediately
below, for any information.

Old July 10th 03, 09:38 PM
philo

"Darryl" wrote in message
Greetings,
I have a P4 machine with Intel mobo and kingston memory. It has
been running nice for over a year. No problems or abnormal behavior.

Recently, I had to strip it down and re-install Win2000 on it (for another
user to use). It has been working fine for over two weeks. Today,
it started spontaneous reboots. It will be setting at the desktop, then
poof. Start rebooting. I shut it off for over an hour (while at lunch).
Powered it up, and after sitting at the desktop for a few minutes
(5 or 10) poof. reboot.

What can be causing this behavior? What should I start looking at
first ?

it could be the power supply connector
possibly loose, tarnished or burned

have a look

Old July 10th 03, 09:55 PM
Pen

Do the log files say anything useful?

"Darryl" wrote in message
[...]

Hard drive keeps going corrupt upon reboot Jon Davis General 5 March 27th 04 11:05 AM
Computer does not reboot jeremy General 2 December 31st 03 01:53 AM
IC7-MAX3 - P4 2.6 - Hyperthread cause PC to random reboot SpeedyGonzales Overclocking 1 November 18th 03 12:43 AM
Won't reboot warm Amethyst General 0 July 13th 03 12:39 PM
reboot fails Joshua Klehm General 0 June 23rd 03 06:07 PM