How to connect extra case fans for Skybuck's Dream PC (2006) ?

Old April 4th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default How to connect extra case fans for Skybuck's Dream PC (2006) ?

Hello,

I have bought almost all components of Skybuck's Dream PC (2006). The only
thing which is missing is the case and some case fans. (The only other thing
I did not order is the diskdrive 7-in-1 card reader. It was not available
and I probably don't really need it, since floppy disks are not produced
anymore and little usefull... everything can be done with boot cd's, I also
changed the cd/dvd rom drive to a newer BenQ 1655 model with lightscribe
technology)

I really want to be able to connect some extra case fans to blow cool air
over my two hitachi harddisks of 500 GB each. A reviewer recommend doing
this so I think it's wise to follow that recommendation.

The case will be a Chieftec case. However, only the german supplier is able
to deliver the Smart Series and he seems incapable of deliviring it lol. So
I might have to switch to a Bravo Series case which seems to have the same
internals... so only the front of the case is different.

Both chieftec cases seems to be able to mount 5 additional fans. One 120
millimeter fan and four 92 millimeter fans.

Here is a link to the alternative chieftec case which has the same
internals:

http://www.chieftec.com/products/500A/BH01.htm

(It says 90 mm fans... but they probably mean 92mm fans).

The german chieftec website recommends using 92 mm fans with 3 pin
connectors which are to be connected to the motherboard (?). Link to
AF-0925S fan which mentions in german "1x 3-pin Motherboardanschluss inkl.
Tachosignal / 1x Molex" (???)

http://www.chieftec.de/?page=product...=4&language=de

So I checked the manual of the asus A8N32-SLI deluxe motherboard but it does
not mention anything about extra case fans ? It only mentions an optional
fan to be used for a water cooling solution.

I can think of two possibilities:

1. Connect the fans to the motherboard.
2. Connect the fans to the power supply.

So my big question is:

How to connect the fans ???

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 5th 06, 08:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 15:24:47 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hello,

I have bought almost all components of Skybuck's Dream PC (2006). The only
thing which is missing is the case and some case fans. (The only other thing
I did not order is the diskdrive 7-in-1 card reader. It was not available
and I probably don't really need it, since floppy disks are not produced
anymore and little usefull... everything can be done with boot cd's, I also
changed the cd/dvd rom drive to a newer BenQ 1655 model with lightscribe
technology)

I really want to be able to connect some extra case fans to blow cool air
over my two hitachi harddisks of 500 GB each. A reviewer recommend doing
this so I think it's wise to follow that recommendation.

There are some very nice cases which have the 120mm front intake fan
blowing over the hard-disks.... er. what wrong with that ? Of course,
you need to choose a case that does not have an air-throttling front
door, or minisule ventilation holes, which is a little difficult these
days where fancy lights and prety looks take precedence over function,
but no doubt you have thought of all those things...

..John Lewis
Old April 6th 06, 01:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Take a look at the Chieftec Case.

It has special holes in the case at the location of the harddisk rack.

The 92 millimeters fans can be mounted behind these holes to blow cool
air or suck cool air over the harddisks.

So to me the Chieftec case(s) seem just perfect. (Smart and Bravo
Series at least )

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old April 6th 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On 5 Apr 2006 17:53:40 -0700, "Skybuck"
wrote:

Take a look at the Chieftec Case.

It has special holes in the case at the location of the harddisk rack.

The 92 millimeters fans can be mounted behind these holes to blow cool
air or suck cool air over the harddisks.

So to me the Chieftec case(s) seem just perfect. (Smart and Bravo
Series at least )

Bye,
Skybuck =D

The Chieftec website is a disaster. Pretty pics, minimal technical
specs....

ATX V2.x power-supply ? Or provide your own ?

Motherboard tray ?

John Lewis

Old April 8th 06, 02:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

You should consult your supplier if it comes with a power supply or
not. I think most will deliver the case without the power supply...
which is quite good for building your own (dream) pc =D I got my a nice
juicy power supply 600 wattage bring it on =D

Until a few days ago I didnt even know such a motherboard tray feature
existed... however I think I really need it... it might be handy... I
think the case I ordered does not come with such a feature hehe.

The case will probably arrive on monday so then I'll know for sure and
build my new dream pc for 2006 =D (Finally !) =D

The chieftec.com website seems to be only a show room.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 8th 06, 02:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Me too... those 92 millimeters fans are the lowest noise fans I could
find... however one never knows... I'll find out monday how much noise
my case produces... It's going to be interesting.

I think my case could possibly produce a lot less noise then my current
old computer. However there will be like hmmm let's see:

2x 120 millimeter fans
4x 92 millimeter fans
2x graphics cards fans... probably 92 millimeters as well not sure how
big they are.
1x cpu fan probably 80 or 92 millimeters... later I ll check how big
they are.

Wow...

That's a whoping 9 fans in my case... holymoly !

I never had that much fans in my case ever.

It's going to be interesting for sure. I know decibels add up... but
then again they spreaded out a bit... It's going to be very
interesting.

7 of the 9 fans were selected by me to be low noise. The 8th fan in the
power supply should be low noise as well. That leaves the fan of the
cpu (athlon x2 dual core 3800+) boxed... I dont know if that is going
to be a noisy fan... it's possible though.

Bye,
Skybuck

Old April 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Though mounting 4 extra fans in my case next to the already two 120
millimeter fans seems a bit over the top. I just ordered those extra
two just in case.

So I will probably only mount 2 extra 92 millimeter fans for the
harddisks and one extra 120 millimeter fan for the dual graphics....

And if I feel that's not safe only then will I mount another 2 extra
fans for the dual graphics.

So it's going to be 7 or 9 fans.

It's a bit vague... but for now it will have to do...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 8th 06, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

OH ****.

I just noticed something... on the pictures on the chieftec website the
fans are mounted near the graphics card.

So I am not sure if I can mount fans at the harddisk location... if I
can't mount fans there then I am pretty much screwed oh-oh.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 8th 06, 03:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Thank god... I was getting worried there for a moment.

At least at these pictures it can be clearly seen that there is this
bracket right at the spot where the harddisks are... and fans should be
able to be mounted there yup.

http://www.pcgamma.com/showthread.php?t=7276

I hope my case comes with the bracket..l think it will fingers crossed

Bye,
Skybuck.

Fan speeds Texas Yankee Overclocking 6 March 8th 06 05:09 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Nvidia Videocards 336 November 27th 03 08:54 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM