slowed down after reformat

Old April 5th 06, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default slowed down after reformat

I had to reformat drive C after being infected by trojan(s)/virus(es).
After reinstalling windows xp pro, the PC has considerably slowed
down. Booting up takes all of 4 minutes. Using windows explorer to
transfer files takes forever, and according to task manager uses all
of 100% of the CPU. Running two programs simultaneously like windows
explorer and Microsoft word for example, is virtually impossible. It
almost slows down to a stop.

The RAM seems to be Ok. CPU has a temp of 50 degrees; mother board 38
degrees Celsius despite having a room temp. 25 degrees only. Fan
running at 2800 rpm.

BTW my PC's specs:

P4 2.66 GHz
AsRock mobo 775
1 GB RAM (512 MB DDR333 x2)
200 GB Seagate SATA HDD [Drives C&D] and
160 GB Seagate SATA HDD [Drives E&F]
GeForce 128 MB Video card
420 Watts tower case
Asus DVD combo drive

Are there any BIOS settings I have to configure? Should I reformat the
enitre physical drive [C&D].

Norton AV 2005, Spybot and AD-Aware says my system is clean.

I also just bought another 250 GB IDE HDD and DVD writer. Will I be
needing more power to run all three HDDs and two DVD ROMs?

Thanks for any ideas.

Old April 5th 06, 08:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"geronimowww" wrote in message
m...
[...]

try resetting the BIOS to its default. Look in the manual there is either a
jumper (older MoBo) or switch (modern MoBo) to carry out this op.

It certainly sped my system up with similar symptoms

Old April 8th 06, 06:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

after reformat

"geronimowww" wrote in message
m...
Quote:
I had to reformat drive C after being infected by

trojan(s)/virus(es).
After reinstalling windows xp pro, the PC has considerably slowed
down. Booting up takes all of 4 minutes. Using windows explorer to
transfer files takes forever, and according to task manager uses

all
of 100% of the CPU. Running two programs simultaneously like

windows
explorer and Microsoft word for example, is virtually impossible.

It
almost slows down to a stop.

The RAM seems to be Ok. CPU has a temp of 50 degrees; mother board

38
degrees Celsius despite having a room temp. 25 degrees only. Fan
running at 2800 rpm.

seems to be hot for that temp your cpu fan seems slow

how do I increase fan speed? one of the fans seems a bit noisier too.
There are 5 fans in all aside from the CPU fan.

Quote:

I also just bought another 250 GB IDE HDD and DVD writer. Will I be
needing more power to run all three HDDs and two DVD ROMs?

HD is on the same channel as the optical? and is it the bootdrive?

No, boot drive is the 200 GB SATA. Just bought the IDE drive for extra
storage, and also because my mobo has only 2 SATA sockets.