Both AMD and Intel have low-power announcements

Old May 7th 04, 03:20 AM
Yousuf Khan

Default Both AMD and Intel have low-power announcements

Within a day of each other, it seems both Intel and AMD announced plans for
low-power chips. The first announcement was from Intel, which announced
Prescotts will be available in regular and low-power variants. The second
announcement was from AMD, announcing a much lower-power Athlon 64 mobile
chip. I'll just link the Inquirer on both stories, since I was already
surfing their page, but both of stories also got covered in other
publications.

Intel: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15718
AMD: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15746

Yousuf Khan

--
Humans: contact me at ykhan at rogers dot com
Spambots: just send mail to above address ;-)

Old May 7th 04, 09:03 AM
Grumble

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Within a day of each other, it seems both Intel and AMD announced
plans for low-power chips. The first announcement was from Intel,
which announced Prescotts will be available in regular and
low-power variants. The second announcement was from AMD,
announcing a much lower-power Athlon 64 mobile chip. I'll just link
the Inquirer on both stories, since I was already surfing their
page, but both of stories also got covered in other publications.

Opterons x40 EE (1.4 GHz) dissipate 30 W.
Opterons x46 HE (2.0 GHz) dissipate 55 W.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30417.pdf

What are the frequency and TDP of the new LV Mobile Athlon 64?

--
Regards, Grumble

Old May 7th 04, 07:08 PM
Slug

On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:20:34 GMT, "Yousuf Khan"
wrote:

Within a day of each other, it seems both Intel and AMD announced plans for
low-power chips. The first announcement was from Intel, which announced
Prescotts will be available in regular and low-power variants. The second
announcement was from AMD, announcing a much lower-power Athlon 64 mobile
chip. I'll just link the Inquirer on both stories, since I was already
surfing their page, but both of stories also got covered in other
publications.

Now only if Nvidia can get onboard.
Old May 7th 04, 08:15 PM
Yousuf Khan

Grumble wrote:
Opterons x40 EE (1.4 GHz) dissipate 30 W.
Opterons x46 HE (2.0 GHz) dissipate 55 W.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30417.pdf

What are the frequency and TDP of the new LV Mobile Athlon 64?

The original article was talking about 30W for the LV A64's. Shouldn't be
surprising considering A64's and Opterons are basically the same core. The
AMD's are talking about 84W regular, 55W mid-end, and 30W low-power.

The funny thing about the article about the Intel Prescott is that their
"low-power" part is talking about 84W instead of the 105W of the regular
Prescott! Would you like our regular gas-guzzler, or would like our
power-saving gas-imbiber? :-)

Yousuf Khan

Old May 8th 04, 10:43 PM
George Macdonald

wrote:

Within a day of each other, it seems both Intel and AMD announced plans for
low-power chips. The first announcement was from Intel, which announced
Prescotts will be available in regular and low-power variants.

Huh? That's not the way I read this at all - it seems to me it's about
(re)segmenting a highly complicated "Universal" FMB (Flexible Motherboard)
rating system (FMB 1; FMB1.5; FMB2; FMB3 etc. which kinda makes nonsense of
umm, "universal") into two grades in future under LGA775: one for the
performance segment and one for the value segment where a less powerful CPU
which draws less power will just use a lower rated VR mbrd. It's basically
about simplifying SKUs (Stock Keeping Units) and matching CPUs for OEMs and
builders... if I understand anything about this Intel gobbledygook language
of acronyms and mysterious codings?

I wonder: could it also segment the CPU/mbrd-design and target market by
EMT64 capable and not? Intel's marketing dept. does seem to love this
segmenting thing.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old May 9th 04, 03:05 AM
Tony Hill

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:03:31 +0200, Grumble
wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

Within a day of each other, it seems both Intel and AMD announced
plans for low-power chips. The first announcement was from Intel,
which announced Prescotts will be available in regular and
low-power variants. The second announcement was from AMD,
announcing a much lower-power Athlon 64 mobile chip. I'll just link
the Inquirer on both stories, since I was already surfing their
page, but both of stories also got covered in other publications.

Opterons x40 EE (1.4 GHz) dissipate 30 W.
Opterons x46 HE (2.0 GHz) dissipate 55 W.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30417.pdf

What are the frequency and TDP of the new LV Mobile Athlon 64?

TDP is 35W, models available are 2800+ and 2700+. The specs are a
tiny bit fuzzy at the moment, but the "regular" mobile 2800+ runs at
1.6GHz with 1MB of L2 cache, so I would assume that the LV 2800+ would
have the same specifications. The 2700+ is a bit more of a mystery to
me, perhaps it runs at 1.6GHz bus with only 512KB of L2 cache?

Probably more importantly than this though is that the list price of
these chips is $241 and $209 for the 2800+ and 2700+ respectively, vs.
the $419 for either the 140EE or 146HE.

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca