Intel patents associated with key products?

Old June 24th 03, 12:17 AM
ian

Default Intel patents associated with key products?

I am conducting research for an article and am trying to identify
patents associated with key Intel products:

- iAPX-432 family of chips and system 86/330 integrated microcomputer
system (both introduced way back in 1981)

- the 216A (a 64k RAM)

- 386, 486, and Pentium Pro processors

- 440BX chipset.

Any ideas?
Old June 24th 03, 01:02 AM
Barnaby Jones

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:17:49 -0400, ian wrote:

I am conducting research for an article and am trying to identify
patents associated with key Intel products:

- iAPX-432 family of chips and system 86/330 integrated microcomputer
system (both introduced way back in 1981)

- the 216A (a 64k RAM)

- 386, 486, and Pentium Pro processors

- 440BX chipset.

Any ideas?

An interesting event is when the courts nullified one of intel's
microprocessor patents (IIRC, the 2-level page table arrangement
of the 80386) which allowed the now-defunct x86 clone companies
to compete. AFAIK (and I may be !!WRONG!!), the patent was
perfectly valid but the courts believed intel was abusing
the patent to build a monopoly and so decided to nullify it.
Old June 24th 03, 03:56 AM
Glen Herrmannsfeldt

"Barnaby Jones" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:17:49 -0400, ian wrote:

I am conducting research for an article and am trying to identify
patents associated with key Intel products:

- iAPX-432 family of chips and system 86/330 integrated microcomputer
system (both introduced way back in 1981)

- the 216A (a 64k RAM)

- 386, 486, and Pentium Pro processors

- 440BX chipset.

Any ideas?

An interesting event is when the courts nullified one of intel's
microprocessor patents (IIRC, the 2-level page table arrangement
of the 80386) which allowed the now-defunct x86 clone companies
to compete. AFAIK (and I may be !!WRONG!!), the patent was
perfectly valid but the courts believed intel was abusing
the patent to build a monopoly and so decided to nullify it.

As far as I know, two level page tables are the most common kind, unless I
misunderstand the definition of two level page table. There seem to be
plenty of patents issued for what should otherwise be prior art or obvious
designs.

-- glen