HP Officejet 4630 prints test page but not pdf file.

Old August 3rd 17, 10:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Neil[_5_]

Default HP Officejet 4630 prints test page but not pdf file.

On 8/3/2017 2:31 PM, micky wrote:
In comp.periphs.printers, on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 18:03:36 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

micky wrote:

he can print a test page but he can't print a pdf file.
Any idea why not?

To do a test print, he'd presumably be looking under
Settings/devices/printers at the officejet?

More like Devices and Printers, Printer Properties for his printer,
Print Test Page.

However if a different printer was set as the default, he might not
realise where the pdf prints were going to ...

No, I was doing the printing and I checked each time which printer it
was going to.

He only has one real printer. There are those 3 thingst come with
windows, Microsoft Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Document WRiter, and Fax,
but I printed 4 times using only the actual printer.

If none of the 4 attempts resulted in a print, you may want to check
that the password and log-in for the printer is set correctly.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old August 4th 17, 03:04 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 17:37:48 -0400, Neil
wrote:

On 8/3/2017 2:38 PM, micky wrote:
In comp.periphs.printers, on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 13:41:58 -0400, Neil
wrote:

On 8/3/2017 12:58 PM, micky wrote:
My brother has an HP Officejet 4630 which describes itself as a wireless
printer and maybe a web-based printer, but doesn't use the word wi-fi.

He can't print.

His computer was slow or errratic and some "repairman" said he needed to
upgrade to win10. He paid $130 and when he got the computer back it
worked worse or not at all, so the guy came over, charged another 130
and he can't print.

He called me and we found out it no longer had Teamviewer, which he
installed, and it no longer had his printer in the list of printers. We
don't know what else is missing.

I installed it, and now the printer is in the list of printers including
when one tries to print, and he can print a test page but he can't print
a pdf file.

Any idea why not?

AFAIK, there is no cable connecting the printer and I didn't install any
wireless features, but if if the pc sees the printer (which it did. I
didn't have to search the list of printers for it. It was the only one
showing, on the first installation screen), if the pc finds the printer
and if I can use the PC to tell the printer to print a test page, how
can it not be sufficiently connected to do everything else (except fax
of course).

He called the "repairman" again and he said he needed a cable and he'd
give him one (not sure if he's delivering it or mailing it) and the
printer is now right next to the laptop, so maybe this will work, but in
a prior apartment, it was in the next room. What if he wants to move it.
Shouldn't the "repairman" install the wireless feature?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Too many variables!

I suspect he didn't need win10 in the first place. It was probably the
only thing the guy knew how to do, or his excuse to charge 130.

That's another issue altogether. This doesn't sound like a Win10 problem
to me.

I didn't mean that it was a win10 problem. I was just griping.

The way one prints a test page is from the printer dialogue box.
To print the PDF, the printer needs to be selected (or the default).

Right on both counts. I did select the printer, after I installed it.
I guess it will work now with a USB cable, but it's a shame for all the
money he paid him that it doesn't work wirelessly. If he doesn't fix it
before then, I'm going to visit early November.
Old August 4th 17, 03:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

In alt.comp.os.windows-10, on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 20:00:13 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

micky wrote:

Neil wrote:

The simplest answer is that the PDF file is invalid.

Shouldn't there be an error message if it is invalid?

Some PDFs disallow printing, tried another one?

Shouldn't it give an error message then?

But it's still a good idea and next time, maybe tomorrow morning, I'll
try that.
Old August 4th 17, 03:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

wrote:

micky wrote:

he can print a test page but he can't print a pdf file.
Any idea why not?

To do a test print, he'd presumably be looking under
Settings/devices/printers at the officejet?

More like Devices and Printers, Printer Properties for his printer,
Print Test Page.

However if a different printer was set as the default, he might not
realise where the pdf prints were going to ...

No, I was doing the printing and I checked each time which printer it
was going to.

He only has one real printer. There are those 3 thingst come with
windows, Microsoft Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Document WRiter, and Fax,
but I printed 4 times using only the actual printer.

If none of the 4 attempts resulted in a print, you may want to check
that the password and log-in for the printer is set correctly.

I doubt if he has a password. I've printed things via Teamviewer before
and I don't think he had one, and I dont' think he needs one. If that
were the problem, shouldn't I get an error message? I get nothing
back.

Old August 4th 17, 03:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

wrote:

That's another issue altogether. This doesn't sound like a Win10 problem

I still tend to think yyou're right, but looking at the HP page for this
printer I see there full software package includes this featu

Added support for Windows 10.

No details.

Installing firmware always scares me but after learning more about the
problem, I'd be wililng to install the software again (or maybe for the
first time since the "repairman" managed to erase TeamViewer and the
printer entry in the list of printers.)

to me. The way one prints a test page is from the printer dialogue box.

Old August 4th 17, 01:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Neil[_5_]

wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

If you haven't set up a password, then you won't be able to print to the
printer. The printer uses its own WiFi and internet connections, and the
only way to access it is via the printer's internal security settings.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old August 4th 17, 03:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

So that's for wifi? So when he gets the USB cable in a day or two,
he'll be okay for local printing? It might be too much too much for me
to do with TeamViewer so the rest can wait until I visit in November..

I suspect he had the password set up, because the printer used to be in
a separate room, but that was one more thing that got erased.
Old August 4th 17, 06:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Neil[_5_]

wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

When he "hard-wires" the printer using the USB cable, many of these
issues will go away. Others will persist.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old August 5th 17, 05:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.os.windows-10
micky

wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

I talked to him and he's got the cable and even though the cable is in
the way, he seems willing to wait until I arrive in November for the
rest of it.