How to print a file from the command line? Epson, Brother

Old March 9th 17, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Neil[_5_]

Default How to print a file from the command line? Epson, Brother

On 3/8/2017 9:46 AM, Mayayana wrote:
"Paul" wrote

| The cartridges should cap themselves when in the parked position.
| Something has to cover the orifices, or they'd clog even faster
| than that.

That's news to me. I have an HP Envy 5660 that I mostly
only use for business contracts and the like, leaving
it turned off otherwise. I probably use it about once per
month. Sometimes every two months. Recently it began
fading, worse with each print, until there was very little
printed on the page. But the cartridges are both full and
not very old. The self-cleaning routines had no effect. I
found advice online to soak the jets in warm water and
dab them on a paper towel. That worked. Though the
color print quality is still not perfect.

It may be that the unusually dry Winter weather has
caused the problem, but I wouldn't trust the printer itself
to keep the cartridges functioning by "parking" them.

I wonder if maybe removing and wrapping in plastic
wrap, perhaps in the fridge, would be a good method.

Why not get a laser printer rather than go through all of that? I
learned long ago that infrequently used inkjet printers fail. Those with
heads separate from the cartridge are the worst. I'm currently
experimenting with a new HP inkjet that I print to a couple times a week
at most, and so far it still prints decent color. But, if it fails, at
least I don't have a lot invested in it.

--
best regards,

Neil
Old March 9th 17, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Mayayana

"Neil" wrote

| Why not get a laser printer rather
| than go through all of that?

I'm not familiar with laser. My impression has
been that they're more expensive and mainly
used for large volumes of b/w printing. I
sometimes use color, do very little printing in
general, and sometimes use the scanner. So
a cheap all-in-one works well for me.

I just printed out about 20 business receipts
recently. I use 2, with a sheet of carbon paper,
for each job in my contracting business. It's
probably an average of 3-4 months to do 10 jobs.
I might need to print out a few contracts in that
time. Maybe some address labels. That's about it.
(Ironically, I bought a package of carbon paper
many years ago -- probably at least 15 years --
and I'm still using it.

I'm surprised that no company has managed
to come out with a greatly improved product.
The print quality keeps improving. The speed
keeps improving. But given the undependability
and the cost per print, especially for high
quality images, I don't find printers to be very
useful. The cost of ink is beyond absurd. It's
almost high enough to justify buying a new
printer when the intro cartridges run out. If
printers came with full cartridges then it actually
would be cheaper to just replace the printer
when the ink ran low.

Old March 9th 17, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan N. Little

Mayayana wrote:
"Neil" wrote

| Why not get a laser printer rather
| than go through all of that?

I'm not familiar with laser. My impression has
been that they're more expensive and mainly
used for large volumes of b/w printing. I
sometimes use color, do very little printing in
general, and sometimes use the scanner. So
a cheap all-in-one works well for me.

I just printed out about 20 business receipts
recently. I use 2, with a sheet of carbon paper,
for each job in my contracting business. It's
probably an average of 3-4 months to do 10 jobs.
I might need to print out a few contracts in that
time. Maybe some address labels. That's about it.
(Ironically, I bought a package of carbon paper
many years ago -- probably at least 15 years --
and I'm still using it.

If you get a monochrome laser they can be very inexpensive. Can get them
for under 100 USD. But better to get one for about 150 USD. If you don't
have much volume they will be an even better value than inkjet because
they do not "dry-out-and-clog" when you don't use them for an extended
period of time. The toner cartridge will properly last you for years and
even the replacement for monochrome toner will be about 30 USD.

Color lasers are another story.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Old March 9th 17, 07:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 17:14:31 -0500, micky wrote:

Is there a command line that would print one picture from my files using
an Epson printer?
a Brother printer?

I should have thought of this earlier, but I need something to keep the
ink jet printers from drying out while I'm gone. Isn't 11 weeks enough
time to do that?

I thought I'd make a bat file that would run once a month that would
print, I guess, the same photo each time, but it's only 2 copies.

I'd just take the cartridges out and pop them in a plastic bag. If you
are really worried you can get cleaning cartridges, pop a set of them
in before you go away.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old March 9th 17, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_4_]

On Wed, 08 Mar 2017 22:04:04 -0500, Mayayana wrote:

I'm surprised that no company has managed
to come out with a greatly improved product.

They have. It's called a laser printer. Colour lasers are now quite
cheap. The consumables often aren't, but I only use mine for *colour*
printing. Otherwise I use a 25 year old Laserjet 4M+.

And the cost of consumables is not so bad when you think of all the dried
up ink cartridges you had to throw away.
Old March 9th 17, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Paul[_28_]

Mayayana wrote:

I'm surprised that no company has managed
to come out with a greatly improved product.
The print quality keeps improving. The speed
keeps improving. But given the undependability
and the cost per print, especially for high
quality images, I don't find printers to be very
useful. The cost of ink is beyond absurd. It's
almost high enough to justify buying a new
printer when the intro cartridges run out. If
printers came with full cartridges then it actually
would be cheaper to just replace the printer
when the ink ran low.

That's one of the reasons the teaser cart capacity had
to drop. At one time, the carts were generous enough, it
did indeed make sense to buy new printers rather than
buy replacement carts. So the number of prints in a
teaser had to drop. Even modern lasers, the teaser
toner cartridge has to be tweaked in the downward direction,
to make the pricing model work.

For the ink cartridge size, you can fit about three different
"quantity" SKUs into that footprint. You cannot fill the
inkjet cartridge absolutely full, because of the
pressure compensation mechanism - the cart has to be
sealed as well as possible to avoid dry-out, but at the
same time, you cannot have a large pressure differential
between inside and outside, or the "2 picoliter pumps"
cannot work against the pressure.

That's why there are patents on the "sponge material" inside
the cart. It's one mechanism used for managing the pressure.

*******

And the "thing" that started the chain reaction, was
Tektronix and the wax printer. The printer cost around
10K or so (our vice president who used to sit 300 feet from
my desk, had one). The business model changed to "rental
consumables" - you could pay some price per month, and
not only was the printer provided for free, you would
get a certain quantity of wax. So after you'd owned it
for a number of years, the printer was paid for, and every
month after that would mean a big profit for whatever company
was running the scheme at the time. I don't know if we kept
ours through that interval. I think I was allowed to print
a single page on that thing once :-) What a privilege :-)
I had to ask the VP secretary for permission.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_ink

So when the makers of other printers saw that model,
they didn't wait to see the P&L statement of the
company managing the operation. They went nuts.
And were only too eager to offer printers at
material cost, and inks "more expensive than gold".
Praying for idiots to come along, who could not
do sums or figure out their monthly expenditure on
carts etc., to fork out huge wodges of cash.

Even the products my company made, our pricing
people had to mull those two choices for pricing
models. And in many cases, it was staring at the
competitor pricing sheet that made the decision,
rather than a "coin flip". So when a pricing model
takes hold, it can be infectious.

Paul
Old March 9th 17, 08:47 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Neil[_5_]

On 3/8/2017 10:04 PM, Mayayana wrote:
"Neil" wrote

| Why not get a laser printer rather
| than go through all of that?

I'm not familiar with laser. My impression has
been that they're more expensive and mainly
used for large volumes of b/w printing.

I include the time that I spend maintaining my equipment in the "cost"
column for my business. The time you spend soaking your cartridges and
getting the printer to print a reliable page again would pay for a much
more expensive printer unless your time is worth almost nothing. The
time spent maintaining a laser printer in that manner is zero, even if
you only printed one page per year.

I'm surprised that no company has managed
to come out with a greatly improved product.
The print quality keeps improving. The speed
keeps improving. But given the undependability
and the cost per print, especially for high
quality images, I don't find printers to be very
useful. The cost of ink is beyond absurd. It's
almost high enough to justify buying a new
printer when the intro cartridges run out. If
printers came with full cartridges then it actually
would be cheaper to just replace the printer
when the ink ran low.

These are very subjective assessments. I don't print "high quality
images" on either my lasers or inkjet printers; I use those printers for
editing and proofing and use appropriate high-end devices (which I
neither own nor have to maintain) for final output.

--
best regards,

Neil