Intel to carry on subsidising tablets

Old November 25th 14, 04:47 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Intel Guy[_3_]

Default Intel to carry on subsidising tablets

I thought I had read where the tablets Intel was subsidizing were 8
inches and smaller. This article says it was 10 inches and smaller, but
might change that now to 12". Which basically means all tablets (are
there any that are larger?).

I just recently found out that there were 7 or 8" bay trail tablets for
around the $100 price point (or less?). Can these still be bought?

-------------------------

Intel to carry on subsidising tablets
November 24, 2014

The attempt by Intel to penetrate the tablet market has cost it dear in
subsidies over the last two years.

But it appears that the chip giant hasn’t given up the ghost on such a
plan and, according to Taiwanese wire Digitimes, is likely to pour more
cash into the venture.

Intel’s problem is that it has faced overwhelming competition on price
from companies that use microprocessors from Mediatek and Qualcomm,
based on designs from British chip designer ARM.

Even though Intel has several ARM licences, it declines to use those to
compete and wants the market to realise the important part it plays in
the mobile arena. Or, to put it differently, Intel is a proud company
and doesn’t want to lose face.

The subsidies to vendors have been aimed at tablets with screen
dimensions of 10 inches and below, but Digitimes now says it may well
extend those subsidies to tablets 12 inches and below.

Intel cannot afford not to be in the tablet business because it wants to
be a key player in the so called Internet of Things. Last week the chip
giant said it was going to merge its mobile and comms businesses with
its PC business, which will effectively disguise the hole in its profit
and loss statements in the future.

http://channeleye.co.uk/intel-to-car...ising-tablets/
Old December 2nd 14, 10:04 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 24/11/2014 10:47 PM, Intel Guy wrote:
I thought I had read where the tablets Intel was subsidizing were 8
inches and smaller. This article says it was 10 inches and smaller, but
might change that now to 12". Which basically means all tablets (are
there any that are larger?).

I just recently found out that there were 7 or 8" bay trail tablets for
around the $100 price point (or less?). Can these still be bought?

Man, if I knew they could be bought so cheap, I probably would've gotten
one. I did buy one cheap tablet (non-Intel), a Blackberry Playbook,
because they had broken through the $200 barrier, if I waited a bit
longer, I would've had it for less than $100.

The thing with tablets though is that once you have one, there's really
no incentive to upgrade, as all that you'd want a tablet to do never
changes, year after year. Almost all of it is simply some form of
websurfing, and a tablet from 5 years ago is still fine for that.
There's no heavy-duty applications that require constant upgrades.

Tablet sales are already biting the big one these days, the only people
buying them are the ones that don't already have one. And there are
fewer of those people day by day.

Yousuf Khan

After losing Apple's iPad business, Intel has bled $7 billionwhile heavily subsidizing cheap x86 Atom Android tablets Yousuf Khan[_2_] Intel 0 November 21st 14 09:26 AM
Desktopereaderstablets??? [email protected] General 2 June 24th 13 04:58 AM
Where to buy DVD carry cases Jim Cdr 0 December 8th 08 09:17 PM
Will hl2 carry the ATI logo? Tim Nvidia Videocards 8 September 25th 03 10:02 AM