Epson Expression Home XP-215 WiFi connection problems.

Old September 18th 14, 09:32 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
T i m

Default Epson Expression Home XP-215 WiFi connection problems.

Hi all,

I'm trying to help a neighbour (re)connect their Epson Expression Home
XP-215 all-in-one printer.

They have had it just under a year and previously had it working (they
say, I've not seen it) with a Netgear WGR614v7 cable router but
recently they have had that replaced / upgraded with a VirginMedia
SuperHub2 (VMDG485) and from then on they have been printerless. ;-(

A quick Google of 'Superhub XP-215' would suggest they aren't the only
ones.

This printer only has limited controls and for WiFi connection (no
Ethernet) it seems it only has the WPS button. Pressing that for 3
seconds and a bit longer on the SuperHub seems to start the WPS
connection but it never seems to connect. Looking at the Hub it looks
like it has seen the process and clocks up a 'WPS Connection attempt
failed' sort of message.

I have also tried to re-connect it to their old Netgear router but
that has no WPS button or soft equivalent (that I can see) so I really
don't know where to go on that one.

I have installed all the available drivers and utilities on XP and W7
and both can print (and see the Status Monitor) but neither can seem
to find the printer when you run the Network Config utility
(presumably because the printer would have to be on the LAN
beforehand). I have also installed the Linux drivers in Mint 17 but
not tried that yet.

I have since found mention of the 'WPS PIN connection' method
(activated by pressing WiFi and 'Info' button simultaneously it says)
so I'll give that a go when I get a chance.

ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/3768/epson376828eu.pdf
p19

It also tells me there that you can default the network settings
(holding the 'Info' button whilst you turn the printer on) and I'll
check that out also.

This is the configuration as it is now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...k%20report.jpg

It shows that it can 'see' their SuperHub2 at the top of the list. I
have tried adding a 'WPS PIN client' from the SuperHub2 using the PIN
shown in that printout (but I many not have had the printer in 'WPS
PIN connect mode', just WPS).

So, my question is, has anyone played with this actual printer and at
any point was there any WiFi setup / configuration utility or wizard
(that may have only been available on the supplied CD, that of course
they cannot find now) or does it rely on WPS working first before any
such tool can work? Chicken and egg though eh. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Old September 18th 14, 12:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "T i m"

Hi all,

[...]

I don't know why you are obfuscating a MAC address of a printer, like that
makes a difference.

I haven't setup an Epson Expression Home XP-215, the closest was a Epson
Expression Premium XP-810 but it is similar as setup is done via the front
panel.

Based upon what you have written I suggest obtaining a COTS SOHO WiFi Router
with 4-port E-Switch and a separate DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem or a COTS SOHO
WiFi Router with 4-port E-Switch that has a built-it DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

To make it work with a Cable ISP all one has to do is register the Cable
Modem's MAC address with the Cable ISP.

I don't know how it is done in Europe but in the states, some Cable ISP's
charge a monthly rental fee. By owning a COTS Cable Modem or Cable
Modem+Router there is no rental fee on ISP provided equipment.

COTS - Common Off the Shelf
SOHO - Small Office, Home Office

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old September 18th 14, 06:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
T i m

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:47:29 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
wrote:

snip

So, my question is, has anyone played with this actual printer and at
any point was there any WiFi setup / configuration utility or wizard
(that may have only been available on the supplied CD, that of course
they cannot find now) or does it rely on WPS working first before any
such tool can work? Chicken and egg though eh. ;-(

I don't know why you are obfuscating a MAC address of a printer, like that
makes a difference.

shrug

I haven't setup an Epson Expression Home XP-215, the closest was a Epson
Expression Premium XP-810 but it is similar as setup is done via the front
panel.

Unfortunately, this one doesn't have such a front panel setup. ;-(

Based upon what you have written I suggest obtaining a COTS SOHO WiFi Router
with 4-port E-Switch and a separate DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem or a COTS SOHO
WiFi Router with 4-port E-Switch that has a built-it DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

To make it work with a Cable ISP all one has to do is register the Cable
Modem's MAC address with the Cable ISP.

Unfortunately it's not for me and they don't have a lot of money to
throw at this. If they did have to buy something it would probably be
a new printer with a front panel for setup or a basic cable router and
disable the router in the supplied modem / router.

I don't know how it is done in Europe but in the states, some Cable ISP's
charge a monthly rental fee. By owning a COTS Cable Modem or Cable
Modem+Router there is no rental fee on ISP provided equipment.

I think they paid a 'one-off' fee of 50GBP to get the SuperHub2 and
it's installation and there is no additional rental cost. It's also
covered by them if it goes wrong.

Cheers, T i m
Old September 18th 14, 07:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
T i m

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:32:52 +0100, T i m wrote:

snip As an update:

This printer only has limited controls and for WiFi connection (no
Ethernet) it seems it only has the WPS button. Pressing that for 3
seconds and a bit longer on the SuperHub seems to start the WPS
connection but it never seems to connect. Looking at the Hub it looks
like it has seen the process and clocks up a 'WPS Connection attempt
failed' sort of message.

snip

I have since found mention of the 'WPS PIN connection' method
(activated by pressing WiFi and 'Info' button simultaneously it says)
so I'll give that a go when I get a chance.

ftp://download.epson-europe.com/pub/download/3768/epson376828eu.pdf
p19

That seemed to be at least half of the solution (and pressing the WPS
button on the router etc). However, it seems that you also have to use
the 'Add WPS PIN option' in the advanced config in the router, using
the PIN as listed in the printer, as well.

It also tells me there that you can default the network settings
(holding the 'Info' button whilst you turn the printer on) and I'll
check that out also.

And I did but it didn't seem to make any difference.

This is the configuration as it is now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...k%20report.jpg

It shows that it can 'see' their SuperHub2 at the top of the list. I
have tried adding a 'WPS PIN client' from the SuperHub2 using the PIN
shown in that printout (but I many not have had the printer in 'WPS
PIN connect mode', just WPS).

And I think that was the key here. (Of course) both the printer and
the router had to be trying to connect using the same technique.

Oh well, 'alls well that ends well', as we say over here. ;-)

Cheers, T i m