Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore

Old June 22nd 14, 05:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

Default The last word (Was: Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprintin OS X 10.6.8 Anymore (Fixed-sort of))

I really doubt this will be of interest to many; there probably aren't a
lot more BJC-50s or BJC-85s still out there. Just in case anyone comes
across this thread, however, I thought I'd help by clarifying where you
can get the BJC-85 driver I referred to in my original post.

Last week I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard
from a backup; it just got too corrupted to use anymore with all the
hanging and freezing. I suspect now that creeping corruption is what
did in the original BJC-50 Gutenprint driver installation, because after
finishing the reinstall and getting around to trying to use the printer
I discovered the original driver was working again-if you can call its
glacial several-minutes-per-page pace and ink-drinking performance
"working." But it had never worked any better than that before so
things were back to normal.

I went into the settings to find that BJC-85 driver and lo and behold,
it had disappeared. Frightened, I went to Gutenprint's Soureceforge
page and quickly downloaded and installed the latest version (5.2.10, by
the way), but the driver was still nowhere to be found. There is a
BJC-85 driver incorporated into Gutenprint but I already knew from prior
experience that it doesn't work any better than the one for the BJC-50.
Now thoroughly panicked, I decided to take a longshot bet and go to
Canon's website, and guess what? That driver is there. Search on
"BJC-85" and in the drivers and software section you'll find a .dmg file
that will install it on (I believe) Leopard or later.

Apparently I'd done this before at some point and had forgotten since I
don't think Canon would have countenanced someone incorporating their
code into Gutenprint. Sorry if I led anyone still trying to get a
little more use out of one of these printers astray.

On 2/23/14 6:55 AM, Jonathan L. Parker wrote:

I managed to find an easier resolution. I went back and checked the
list of available drivers for Canon printers and it appears that from
somewhere I've picked up one that appears to be from Canon itself-or the
result of a really good reverse-engineering job-for the BJC-85 printer,
which is very similar to the BJC-50 and uses the same cartridges.
Feeling I had nothing to lose, I went ahead and selected the driver and
after tweaking a few more settings I'm getting color quality about as
good as I get in Windows-and print speed to match. For a 15-year-old
printer only being used as a backup, that's more than enough.

For anyone facing this same problem, the driver I selected was the one
labeled simply "Canon BJC-85," not the one with "CUPS+Gutenprint 5.2.9"
behind it. If anyone wants to try the other driver and let us know how
you make out, that's fine. I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Old June 23rd 14, 02:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

Default The last word

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

I really doubt this will be of interest to many; there probably aren't
a lot more BJC-50s or BJC-85s still out there. Just in case anyone
comes across this thread, however, I thought I'd help by clarifying
where you can get the BJC-85 driver I referred to in my original post.

Hello Jonathan,

I am really glad to hear you could get your printer working again using
the Canon drivers.
You are correct, they have nothing to do with the gutenprint drivers,
which are entirely written from scratch.
The BJC-85 is most certainl in gutenprint, including in 5.2.10, as can
be seen in the printers.xml file (excerpt below):

printer translate="name" name="Canon BJC-85"
deviceid="MFG:Canon;MDL:BJC-85;" driver="bjc-85" manufacturer="Canon"
model="85" parameters="gamma_5_density_800_params"
foomaticid="Canon-BJC-85" /

Why you cannot find it is probably something to do with your personal
settings in your OS, definitely not to do with gutenprint. Unless you
were speaking of the Canon driver, which would not be affected by the
installation or deinstallation of gutenprint in the least.

Last week I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Snow Leopard
from a backup; it just got too corrupted to use anymore with all the
hanging and freezing. I suspect now that creeping corruption is what
did in the original BJC-50 Gutenprint driver installation, because
after finishing the reinstall and getting around to trying to use the
printer I discovered the original driver was working again-if you can
call its glacial several-minutes-per-page pace and ink-drinking
performance "working." But it had never worked any better than that
before so things were back to normal.

What is this "original driver", is thath the gutenprint BJC-50? Or
something else?

I went into the settings to find that BJC-85 driver and lo and behold,
it had disappeared. Frightened, I went to Gutenprint's Soureceforge
page and quickly downloaded and installed the latest version (5.2.10,
by the way), but the driver was still nowhere to be found. There is a
BJC-85 driver incorporated into Gutenprint but I already knew from
prior experience that it doesn't work any better than the one for the
BJC-50. Now thoroughly panicked, I decided to take a longshot bet and
go to Canon's website, and guess what? That driver is there. Search
on "BJC-85" and in the drivers and software section you'll find a .dmg
file that will install it on (I believe) Leopard or later.

The fact that the BJC-50 and BJC-85 do not implement the full capability
of the printers is well known to me, but on the other hand, without any
testing system, I have not indulged in adding capabilities
(resolutions). If you have some feedback on the gutenprint driver, I
would be happy to hear it, as I am the volunteer maintaining support for
Canon inkjets on the gutenprint project.

Naturally, the BJC series is pretty old and has been there from long
before my time as a maintainer, so I am not very familiar with how the
BJC series performs. Any improvements I could implement I will certainly
do my best to do so.

Apparently I'd done this before at some point and had forgotten since
I don't think Canon would have countenanced someone incorporating
their code into Gutenprint. Sorry if I led anyone still trying to get
a little more use out of one of these printers astray.

OK, that is good news, Canon often drops new OS support for older
printers, as is common with other manufacturers also.

Feel free to drop me a line by email, or on the gutenprint mailing list
also.

Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug

--