Scratch out the Upgrading

Old March 4th 11, 07:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

Default Scratch out the Upgrading

New mobo, cpu, memory are not worth of upgrading.. Aa far as speed is
concern, I don't feel new system improve fast enough to see the
change. the windows xp loading by new system is slower than old
system even I reinstalled the winXP OS. Besides, no AGP slot
available on new mobo which poses the biggest problem, I have to buy
sata DVDRW or even new HD.
Spend 150 bucks on upgrade is not enough. I have to spend another 150
buck or more.
For total 300 bucks is not worth to see the change for better system.
From 2.0G CPU
to 2.7G CPU ain't no change. I bought old mobo since the same model
no more stock by
the store.

What could I miss today's new cpu/mobo/DDR3?
Old March 4th 11, 08:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe

Red Cloud mmdir2005 yahoo.com wrote:

New mobo, cpu, memory are not worth of upgrading.. Aa far as
speed is concern, I don't feel new system improve fast enough
to see the change. the windows xp loading by new system is
slower than old system even I reinstalled the winXP OS.

You made that clear the first time, and the second time.

Welcome to upgrade disappointment.

Get over it.
--

Besides, no AGP slot
available on new mobo which poses the biggest problem, I have to buy
sata DVDRW or even new HD.
Spend 150 bucks on upgrade is not enough. I have to spend another 150
buck or more.
For total 300 bucks is not worth to see the change for better system.
From 2.0G CPU
to 2.7G CPU ain't no change. I bought old mobo since the same model
no more stock by
the store.

What could I miss today's new cpu/mobo/DDR3?

see also Google Groups
From: Red Cloud mmdir2005 yahoo.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Scratch out the Upgrading
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 22:36:45 -0800 (PST)

Old March 4th 11, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Red Cloud wrote:
New mobo, cpu, memory are not worth of upgrading.. Aa far as speed is
concern, I don't feel new system improve fast enough to see the
change. the windows xp loading by new system is slower than old
system even I reinstalled the winXP OS. Besides, no AGP slot
available on new mobo which poses the biggest problem, I have to buy
sata DVDRW or even new HD.
Spend 150 bucks on upgrade is not enough. I have to spend another 150
buck or more.
For total 300 bucks is not worth to see the change for better system.
From 2.0G CPU
to 2.7G CPU ain't no change. I bought old mobo since the same model
no more stock by
the store.

What could I miss today's new cpu/mobo/DDR3?

Shut off some subsystems on the new motherboard, and try booting again.
Try "native IDE" mode, instead of AHCI (driver change may be needed,
depending on OS used, and can be nasty to experiment with).

Switch to an SSD for your boot drive. That will shave a few seconds off
the boot time.

Disable the SATA ports not being used, in the BIOS, so the BIOS won't
continue to scan them for drives.

If I disable my IDE controller on the motherboard (a Jmicron chip), I
can shave ten seconds off the BIOS portion of boot time. I don't always
have an IDE device connected to it, so sometimes it makes sense to turn
it off.

Windows OSes spend part of their bootup time, doing network things.
And a broken network setup will slow the boot process. As might,
booting where some drivers aren't installed yet, and Windows stumbles
over its new hardware wizard. Make sure Device Manager is really clean,
and if not, disable any devices you don't plan to install drivers for.

If you just transplanted the OS "hot" from the old system to the new
system, perhaps you broke something while doing that.

If you have older IDE drives, you can probably still find IDE to SATA
adapters. I have one I'd like to buy, but no Canadian company carries
one. My guess is, this one will be compatible with a lot of hardware.
You can find ones cheaper than this, but check their compatibility
via customer reviews.

SC-SA0112-S1
http://www.siig.com/sata-to-ide-adapter.html

"SIIG’s SATA-to-IDE Adapter is designed to instantly convert older
IDE/Ultra DMA devices for use with modern Serial ATA controller
on your computer. It allows you to easily connect existing
Ultra ATA 150/133/100/66 hard disk drives and ATAPI devices
to the latest Serial ATA host"

*******

This processor runs at 3.4GHz on all cores, or in Turbo mode, can run
at 3.8GHz for single threaded loads. So you can do a bit better than 2.7GHz.
The motherboards to run these, will be back in the stores soon (Intel
chipset bug).

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SR00C

AMD has one that runs at 3.3GHz, with turbo to 3.7GHz.

Using processors like that, makes sense if you're a video editor, and
you're currently waiting hours for video rendering to complete. (The
video tool should be multithreaded, to see the most benefit. Both cores
on my dual core run, when the video render is being done.) That's
when an upgrade pays off. If you expected your email or web surfing to
run faster, then the change might not be as obvious. For example, if
I compare my 2.6GHz Core2 system to my 3.0Ghz Core2 system, there is
no detectable difference for simple desktop operations. If I render
a raw movie capture to DVD, then the time difference is proportional
to clock rate.

I think what you need, as an upgrade, is an SSD. You have to shop carefully,
to find a good one. You use one of these as a boot drive, and continue
to store your movies on a 1TB rotating hard drive. (In this particular
chart, notice how low in the chart the Velociraptor is, which is a
rotating hard drive used for comparison.) SSDs are really good at
random access, with practically no delays there (0.1 milliseconds).
And a few of the SSDs, are also good at sustained transfer rates.
The best SSD has about 3x the rate of a cheap modern hard drive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4202/t...d-510-review/4

Paul
Old March 8th 11, 08:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Mar 4, 8:50*am, Paul wrote:
Red Cloud wrote:
*New mobo, cpu, memory are not worth of upgrading.. Aa far as speed is
concern, I don't feel *new system improve fast enough to see the
change. *the windows xp loading by new system is slower *than old
system even I reinstalled the winXP OS. * Besides, no AGP slot
available on new mobo which poses the biggest problem, *I have to buy
sata DVDRW or even new HD.
Spend 150 bucks on upgrade is not enough. I have to spend another 150
buck or more.
For total 300 bucks is not worth to see the change for better system.
From 2.0G CPU

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...-2600K&spec-co....

[...]

I don't need to upgrade and I returned new mobo/CPU/Mem . I'm not
sure spending over 250 bucks is worth considering that new CPU system
just does not operate neither faster nor efficient. I would rather
buy notebook than upgrading desktop. For upgrade I have have to
buy new HD and new graphic card which means that I can't use 3 AGP
card. In the new mobo, the embed audio system is far worse than
Soundblaster PCI. So no more upgrade for me. If this old style mobo
gone bad, I will just have to buy another out of the style one.
Old March 8th 11, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mar 8, 2:29 am, Red Cloud wrote:

I don't need to upgrade and I returned new mobo/CPU/Mem . I'm not
sure spending over 250 bucks is worth considering that new CPU system
just does not operate neither faster nor efficient. I would rather
buy notebook than upgrading desktop. For upgrade I have have to
buy new HD and new graphic card which means that I can't use 3 AGP
card. In the new mobo, the embed audio system is far worse than
Soundblaster PCI. So no more upgrade for me. If this old style mobo
gone bad, I will just have to buy another out of the style one.

A new MB *can* have onboard graphics and a soundchip. Both can also
be disabled in the bios. Use the onboard graphics until you upgrade
from AGP, disable onboard sound and use your SoundBlaster. The MB
onboard graphics may very well be faster than your existing AGP.
There are parallel to SATA adaptors on Ebay for around $5US. A new MB
should then be able to then handle your existing HD/DVD with the
adaptors.

Memory, CPU, and MB can cost as little as $100. If you don't want
speed, you can try a basic dual core. Matter of how low you want go.
If worried about an old system crapping out, better now to be prepared
than totally unprepared with nothing to back you up. Check your
selected brandnames for part reviews and watch for sales. Setting up
a new system to migrate over to is work. Talking about a rush job is
waiting until the only computer you have that runs breaks. I can talk
about that. Laptops are even worse unless you need it: more
expensive and harder when possible to replace parts and rebuild if
they go wrong.
Old March 9th 11, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Red Cloud

On Mar 8, 12:13*am, Flasherly wrote:
[...]

What I don't like it searching and looking for cheap converter of all
kinds.... Or even
searching in Ebay.... Well new system is not much help for me that i
have to throw
away good-old parts. AGP graphic is nice card it has secondary video
output exactly needed in multi-tasking.. I noticed that new mobo
embed with secondary video output is twice expensive than lower-
line mobo. Even worst is that secondary video output is designed for
HDTV which I don't need it. My AGP card
comes with S-video output and HDTV. I also noticed most new mobo
has only 2 PCI slots when I need 3 PCI slots.
Old March 9th 11, 02:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mar 8, 10:24 pm, Red Cloud wrote:
[...]

Yep. Not a lot of PCI slots now. You don't really need them as much,
though. I still have two ATI Radeon AGP boards (8500 and 9600) and
they are nice. A long time. No big deal if I switch, though they
still handle all but the most demanding video encodes. Don't sweat the
HDTV, there's adaptors to change them to VGA. Dealextreme.com if you
don't like Ebay's PSata converter, they're all about the same -- less
than Newegg. If the MB w/ graphics is too expensive, it's too
expensive. It's not like they're putting highend GPUs on them. Just
have to wait and watch for the right sale or price to come through.
I've bought discounted MBs from Newegg that people returned after not
being able to figure things out. Had good luck with them, too, as-new
for the most. You're out shipping, but they'll give you your money
back if you decide you didn't like the used MB. Maybe 10 or 15 days
to make up your mind. It sometimes takes "awhile" to get all the
right prices and reviews down for sys upgrades.