Strange SSD performance

Old April 28th 10, 09:39 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ivica

Default Strange SSD performance

Yesterday I bought a new Intel X25-V 40GB SSD drive. I first tested it in a
running system, Windows 7 was installed on a 500 GB HDD. I used HDTach and
the performance was superb.
http://www.imagesforme.com/show.php/1102832_New.jpg

I then installed Windows 7 on SSD. I disabled Windows Search, Superfetch,
Indexing, System Restore and Windows Pagefile. TRIM function is working
properly. The performence in HDTach is a lot lower in areas where data is
stored.
http://www.imagesforme.com/show.php/1102833_Used.jpg

I don't think it has anything to do with a typical speed degradation, it is
too soon and TRIM is working. After all this is brand new Windows 7 on a
brand new drive. Could it be an issue with HDTach?

My system:
Core2Duo E6750
ASUS G31 + ICH7 board
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
WD 500GB SATA2
Intel X25-V (system)
--

Ivica

Old April 29th 10, 11:20 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bob Willard

Ivica wrote:
[...]

I've always found that I could trust HDtach, but I've never used it on
a SSD. So, just to double-check, you could try a couple of others:

1.HDtune has a benchmark that runs just like HDtach, and displays a
similar performance graph. I've found the data reported to be
consistently slightly different from HDtach, but close enough
for a reasonable check on what HDtach shows for your SSD.

2.HDDscan will also run and show a performance graph, but the GUI
(at least for the v3.2 copy that I'm using) is not obvious.
First, you need to click on the (magnifier?) icon in the
primary window and then click on SurfaceTests to get the
TestSelection window to appear. Next, you need to expand the
TestSelection window to the right to make the AddTest button
appear. Click on AddTest and wait for the TestManager window to
show that the RD-Read test is finished. Finally, double-click
on the RD-Read entry in the TestManager window to make the
performance graph appear.

And, if you have the paid-for version of HDtach, it would be
interesting to see what the write performance of that SSD is.
Do not, of course, run HDtach's write test on the SSD that has
the OS on it; come to think of it, it might be interesting to
watch Win7 eat its entrails. =-O
--
Cheers, Bob