Rest Bios?

Old August 24th 09, 05:54 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Grendal[_10_]

Default Rest Bios?

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a suspected bias problem. When I turn
on the computer I see the Dell splash screen (jittery) and then a
message saying my drives cannot be found. But when I hit F1 to
"continue" the drives are found and my XP Pro works perfectly. I used a
floppy to attempt to "flash" the bios but the problem persists. Any
ideas. Can I pull out the battery or reset some pins or something. I
don't want to brick this thing though!

--
Grendal
Old August 25th 09, 08:12 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Grendal wrote:
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with a suspected bias problem. When I turn
on the computer I see the Dell splash screen (jittery) and then a
message saying my drives cannot be found. But when I hit F1 to
"continue" the drives are found and my XP Pro works perfectly. I used a
floppy to attempt to "flash" the bios but the problem persists. Any
ideas. Can I pull out the battery or reset some pins or something. I
don't want to brick this thing though!

I have one system which tells me that overclocking failed and speed was set back
to default, even though the system is not overclocked. Happens only on cold
boot, not warm. In my case, it seems likely that the power supply is marginal,
the BIOS too dumb to power up drives one at a time and wait a few hundred ms for
them to spin up, and the jittery video is an artifact of marginal p/s voltage.

If it happens to you only at cold boot, that's a possible reason. I would (did)
live with it, as long as I know what it is I don't worry. Any upgrade I might
ever want to put in that box would be a lower power CPU and/or disk, so unless
the p/s fails I will ignore it.
Old August 26th 09, 02:04 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
cjt

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Grendal wrote:

[...]

FWIW, I have that same issue on an old EPOX board with an AMD Athlon.
If I reset the BIOS after it warms up, it will run at full speed.
Otherwise, it fails.
Old August 31st 09, 03:21 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Grendal[_11_]

This was resolved by my pulling out the battery and putting it back in.
Now all works!

--
Grendal