v9.5 Catalyst driver broke its profiles?

Old May 26th 09, 06:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default v9.5 Catalyst driver broke its profiles?

On 5/25/2009 2:57 PM PT, DrTeeth typed:

The 'official' installation instructions for video drivers (all mfgrs)
have included un-installing the old drivers for quite a long time.

In the release notes for one of the past Catalyst drivers, it said
that improvements had been made to avoid a reboot when upgrading
drivers. That means that it is okay to do so and since then I have
never uninstalled first without any issue.

Hmm, I don't remember reading and seeing the no reboot part. I always
had to reboot.
--
"Forbear, thou great good husband, little ant." --Richard Lovelace
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old May 26th 09, 07:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DrTeeth

On Mon, 25 May 2009 22:22:57 -0700, just as I was about to take a
herb, Ant disturbed my reverie and wrote:

I always
had to reboot.

I have to reboot under XP but not Vista or Win7.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 27th 09, 04:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"DrTeeth" wrote in message
On Mon, 25 May 2009 15:37:24 -0400, just as I was about to take a
herb, "KCB" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The 'official' installation instructions for video drivers (all mfgrs)
have included un-installing the old drivers for quite a long time.

In the release notes for one of the past Catalyst drivers, it said
that improvements had been made to avoid a reboot when upgrading
drivers. That means that it is okay to do so and since then I have
never uninstalled first without any issue.

I have been using ATI since 9700 Pro and have never seen a driver's
release notes say that no reboot was required. Maybe I skipped that
particular version, so post a link please.

Uninstall
Reboot
Install
Reboot
It may take a couple more minutes, but it is the best, safest way to
change your video drivers.

Here's the link from ATI
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...TIProduct.aspx
Notice step 4 - Uninstall any legacy ATI or other display drivers (where
applicable).
Where applicable refers to the fact that there may not be any video
drivers on the machine. In that case, there is nothing to uninstall.
It is the same for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

Also note for XP and Windows 2000, step H has this:
h. Click "Finish" and restart your computer.

For Vista, it's step K, and it's written this way:
k. The installation process will be complete once the computer has
restarted.

Look, you don't have to follow the directions. My original reply was to
the OP, who had various issues after over-installing his drivers. After
an uninstall and clean install, they worked.

Old May 27th 09, 05:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

On 5/26/2009 11:42 AM PT, DrTeeth typed:

I always
had to reboot.

I have to reboot under XP but not Vista or Win7.

That explains it. I do remember Vista and its old 9600 AIW not having to
reboot from driver upgrades.
--
"I'm not afraid of insects taking over the world, and you know why? It
would take about a million ants just to aim a gun at me, let alone fire

Old May 27th 09, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DrTeeth

On Tue, 26 May 2009 23:52:13 -0400, just as I was about to take a
herb, "KCB" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

I have been using ATI since 9700 Pro and have never seen a driver's
release notes say that no reboot was required. Maybe I skipped that
particular version, so post a link please.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...ase_notes.html

"Catalyst Install enhancement - No reboot required after Catalyst
upgrade install

This release of Catalyst™ introduces an enhancement to the Catalyst
installer. Users are no longer required to reboot their system after
Catalyst has finished installing (as long as the installation is an
upgrade from a previous Catalyst install). "

Q.E.D. AMD says it is okay to upgrade...they even enhance the driver
to make it easier!
--

Cheers,

DrT